It makes amazing flowers for a satsuki.
When the bud opens the flower looks like a rose

View attachment 394762

View attachment 394763

View attachment 394764

then after.

View attachment 394765

View attachment 394766
Thanks for sharing, those are lovely flowers! What style of branches does it grow, is it more clumpy with lots of basal shoots or more shrubby & tree like?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Picked this up last year. No label. Bloomed last winter while inside. And again in bloom now View attachment 394815in late August. Is this a komane?

This particular azalea is NOT 'Komane'. There are a couple differences. First 'Komane' is a highly sought after cultivar, it would not have been sold without a label, as a 'Komane' with provenance is worth many times more money than any azalea sold at a big box store or florist.

This unknown azalea has multiple petaloids, those short little petals in the center of the flower. 'Komane' has multiple, fully developed petals, no petaloids.

The color of the unknown azalea has a slightly purple undertone, 'Komane' is red to red-orange, without the purple tint.

Leaves of 'Komane' are somewhat narrow terminating to a point, and have a pattern of hairs on the upper surface of the leaves. Your unknown azalea has wider leaves that terminate more bluntly with a smooth upper surface. This clearly indicates they are not the same cultivar.

Lastly 'Komane' is more or less pure Satsuki, which means it would bloom only in spring, and would not likely rebloom in August in Euclid OH. This August bloom suggests that your unknown azalea is one of the Encore series of azalea hybrids. The encore azalea are bred to have scattered blooms year round in mild climates and a distinct Autumn bloom period in colder climates like in Ohio. It is a commercially common azalea type, widely being distributed in the USA, produced in enough quantity that its cost is cheap. If you paid less than $100 for your azalea in all likelihood it is NOT 'Komane'.

So I am certain your azalea is not 'Komane'

It IS a nice pretty flower. I would keep it if I owned it. There are about 35 or so different azalea cultivars in the ENCORE series. Search through the photos of Encore azalea and see if you see a better match to yours. Pay attention to where hairs are on your leaves, or where hairs are not on your leaves. Both flowers and leaves must match before you can make a guess at the name. There are over ten thousand azalea hybrids out there. Once the tag was lost, the provenance was lost. You may just have to accept that you have a no name, lost tag mutt. Like a dog from the pound, never to regain pedigree status, but still loveable none the less.

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This particular azalea is NOT 'Komane'. There are a couple differences. First 'Komane' is a highly sought after cultivar, it would not have been sold without a label, as a 'Komane' with provenance is worth many times more money than any azalea sold at a big box store or florist.

This unknown azalea has multiple petaloids, those short little petals in the center of the flower. 'Komane' has multiple, fully developed petals, no petaloids.

The color of the unknown azalea has a slightly purple undertone, 'Komane' is red to red-orange, without the purple tint.

Leaves of 'Komane' are somewhat narrow terminating to a point, and have a pattern of hairs on the upper surface of the leaves. Your unknown azalea has wider leaves that terminate more bluntly with a smooth upper surface. This clearly indicates they are not the same cultivar.

Lastly 'Komane' is more or less pure Satsuki, which means it would bloom only in spring, and would not likely rebloom in August in Euclid OH. This August bloom suggests that your unknown azalea is one of the Encore series of azalea hybrids. The encore azalea are bred to have scattered blooms year round in mild climates and a distinct Autumn bloom period in colder climates like in Ohio. It is a commercially common azalea type, widely being distributed in the USA, produced in enough quantity that its cost is cheap. If you paid less than $100 for your azalea in all likelihood it is NOT 'Komane'.

So I am certain your azalea is not 'Komane'

It IS a nice pretty flower. I would keep it if I owned it. There are about 35 or so different azalea cultivars in the ENCORE series. Search through the photos of Encore azalea and see if you see a better match to yours. Pay attention to where hairs are on your leaves, or where hairs are not on your leaves. Both flowers and leaves must match before you can make a guess at the name. There are over ten thousand azalea hybrids out there. Once the tag was lost, the provenance was lost. You may just have to accept that you have a no name, lost tag mutt. Like a dog from the pound, never to regain pedigree status, but still loveable none the less.
Thanks for your info I like mutts 😊

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings @Touche!

We haven’t heard from you in awhile. How’s the wintering over going?

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom