"The Forbidden Bonsai"

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So I was over at Ausbonsai (I go there often because they have a have a similar climate to mine) and saw a thread about The Forbidden Bonsai or Leptospermum (New Zealand Tea). So on one of my many bargain hunts I found a Leptospermum scoparium 'Ruby Glow' half dead for next to free and decided to give it a go.

Well it's not much to look at but it is living and pushing new leaves. I did not dare mess the the roots any more than I did because they say if you look at them wrong they die. We will see how long it lives. So here it is in all it's glory:

Attachments

• Leptospermum scoparium 'Ruby Glow'1.jpg
    Leptospermum scoparium 'Ruby Glow'1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Leptospermum scoparium 'Ruby Glow'2.jpg
    Leptospermum scoparium 'Ruby Glow'2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it....but then again.....I like anything forbidden! :eek:

Good job keeping it tickin!

I think I've seen one other desert dweller on any forum.....good idea to follow Ausbonsai, and who don't love an Aussie?

Sorce

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jealous

Where did you find that? I have been looking and have found a source for seeds but not plants. This would fit in great with the herbs I am trying to train.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very cool! The trunk and bark remind me of Texas Sage. I have a couple (Texas Sage) I've been trying to grow as bonsai but they continue to be a PITA. They will have to give up before I do. Keep us posted on their progress.

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of these in Southern California nurseries (standard nurseries). They always seem a little expensive, for the plant you get.

Just a quick question... why is it "Forbidden"?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Well that's not a name I made up, I guess they are darn near impossible due to very touchy roots. Add to that they don't ever want to be dry but will rot if kept too wet. I have never tried one and like I said it was almost free.

The plusses are, rough bark and gnarly trunk pretty young. They have tiny leaves and amazing flowers. This one will have bright red double blooms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom