The Frankenstein Maple

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the year 2013 I made a paradigm shift in my thought process about how a maple should look. Even though I was having success with traditional moyogi styled trees it wasn't what I wanted. Look as I could the material was not around. I looked for something I could cut down into the oak tree style I longed for. The problem is there are not many growers, if any, that are producing material for oak type canopies.

I decided that I could do this myself. If I can't find or buy the material I will have to use my expertise with the species to manufacture what I want. Before I get into it, keep in mind that this tree has only five years of training so far and will only continue to get better as time goes by. It is at a point that I feel comfortable to show what is going on.

I started out during the late winter of 2013, my wife would be diagnosed with terminal cancer later that fall. The maple was going to me the trident species. I love the species and it is a joy to work with, while susceptible to fungus very easily it is easily treatable and the rewards far out weigh the negatives. I started with three maples. During this time I had 75 trident maples around the backyard. They were everywhere. These three for many years had been donor plants that I use for grafting on to other tridents.

These three were chosen from the many for size and that they were in an "L" shape. Each had a root system that was one sided and looked goofy. worked great for grafting purposes but on their own each was a loser. I decided to turn them into an ugly swan. You will see later. These tree were about 1/2 inch across at the base.
001.JPG

A closer look at each tree. The club feet of each is quite evident.
01.JPG
02.JPG
04.JPG

Since all the tree were already one sided in the roots department it would not be difficult to put them together. This way I didn't even have to trim away any rootage and wait for the tree to catch up. I could just root prune them and figure out how I would fit them together.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fitting them together was next and of course three trees meant that I had about 27 or so combinations in which to try for the best fit. each tree had to be as close as possible because it would need to knit together to make one trunk over time. Huge gaps would take decades to grow together and these trunks though small were not going to move closer by wiring.

The best fit possible was found and I started by taping all the trunks together with electrical tape. the stretchy nature allowed me to get it as tight as possible and I did use a clamp when I could in an effort to maximize the contact with tissue.

After I got the package taped I use a saw to run down between the trees to break the cambium as much as possible.
06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG09.JPG010.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So now I get the saw work all done and continue wrapping the trunk entirely with tape. The whole thing is covered down to the roots and to where the branches begin to splay. Trunk is about 2 inches across now and the tree is about ten inches tall. A good rule of thumb is about 6 inches of height for every inch of trunk girth. 6/1 ratio. All day I feel like a pirate working building this thing, so out comes the hat.

013.JPG014.JPG015.JPG016.JPG017.JPG018.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In 2016 I was seeing progress but it was slow. I had some pretty large gaps in my rootage area due to not constricting that area when I put them together. anyone that doesn't think root bases move around in a pot if they can is crazy. They can move an inch or more every year to a new location, if you didn't tie them in. My tree were tied in but I had no idea how much pressure an opposing root would exert on the opposing tree. They just pushed each other apart.

During 2016 I decided that I would graft in two other trees in between a couple places that had a larger gap. I threaded the trees thru and tied them in. this time I put a wire around the whole thing so they could not push away. I also placed some plastic mesh around the whole thing to get some roots growing closer to the unions . I knew that later I did not want to have to deal with a deep base and this would allow me to just cut the bottom portion off later. I wanted this to be a a more shallow show pot when finished and this was my insurance policy.
031.JPG032 (2).JPG032.JPG033.JPG034.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As the last few years have gone by I have reduced in height each of the filler trees I grafted in. Each of them is now a branch in the design.

Now they have just been allowed to grow for the last two years. The trunks have knit and they are mostly grafted all the way down now. There are a couple spots but it is a slow process. Not done over night even though this has been only five years in the making.

035.JPG036.JPG037.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I added more wires later to try and help get the trunk to fuse. During this time I used the clamps and tried to keep the trunks in place. I did cut the tape back and saw the green of the new graft under it and knew that it was working.

037a.JPG037b.JPG037c.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So now, the big reveal after the last five years this is where I am in the project. This year I sawed a lot of the base off cause the soil I mounded up had grown lots of new roots. I was able to get it into this shallower oval tray. Not as shallow as I want but subsequent pottings will allow me to reduce. The photo shows the pot at an angle since since potting I like this 10 percent rotated view best as it shows the trunk at its best with the live veins of musculature and flare.

038.JPG039.JPG040.JPG041.JPG042.JPG043.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can see some scarring on the trunk from the wires that were so tight trying to keep the trunks in place. Upon photos tonight it seems that I had added three saplings into the gaps during the 2016 phase. I found this stub that I had cut off cause it had grafted to the trunk and was not useful as a branch.
DSC_0012.JPG

The tree now has doubled in size with a 4 inch trunk from 2 and the tree is about 13 inches tall from 10. hope you like the tree. I think its a damn sexy ugly swan. Not anything most people will find at your local bonsai show.

DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's probably the coolest tree I've seen someone put together. May not be the prettiest but the process was/is very awesome and the outcome is a muscle bound tree that looks great and will only get better.

Nicely done

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Boy that trunk(s) has a lot of character. Great job, thanks for sharing.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could also use fine headless nails to hold together without all the wrapping;).

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks better than I ever thought it would. Oddly enough the first shot of the tree in the new pot, still seems like it has a moyogi feel to it. I'm sure that you have a plan though.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're the man Al! I love these creative builds you put together, definetly the type of work we should strive to do. Ancient oaks are truly mystical beings!Screenshot_20180619-095833.jpgScreenshot_20180619-095732.jpgScreenshot_20180619-095648.jpgScreenshot_20180619-095711.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,
and you were telling me about 10 years being too much
time :p;):)

Throws a fluorescent pink tong at Al, hits him in the head.:eek:o_O:)

Most excellent work!!!
Thanks for showing.
Good Day
Anthony

*if not for the masculine look, I would say Sleeping Beauty about
to awaken..................................

Top Bottom