The Fungus Among Us...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I must admit, more pressing commitments have kept me from spending as much time with the trees last season and this one. Tonight I watered as it did not rain today, I haven't had to water for the past couple of days due to sufficient rain. I discovered two of my azaleas almost complete defoliated by a fungus. I think it is rhizoctonia web blight. I have battled it in the past, but it has never been this bad and it seems to hit Gumpos the most and also Wakaebisu to a lesser extent while not harming others. Three to four days ago these were fine. So if you are in an area that gets frequent rain and a 5145678248% humidity, be on the look out.

DSC01544-1.jpg

Just a few days ago the one on the right was like the one on the left. I have used daconil and Bayer 3 in one to combat it successfully. I just wished I had done preventative spraying. Just wanted to share with others to maybe help them to prevent this.

DSC01545-1.jpg

DSC01546-1.jpg

DSC01547-1.jpg

DSC01548-1.jpg

DSC01549-1.jpg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So annoying, one of my jap maples has the same...gave it full sun and less water. Seems happier and fungus isnt attacking any of the new growth......hope thwy all pull through....do you know any natural chemical free remedies? My garden is on the roof so I dont particularly like chemicals and ladybugs take care of aphids etc.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Feels like it!

We're at 80% with no wind.

.....blows!

Sorce
Thats the worst... when there is no air movement is when the little beasties like fungus and bugses proliferate

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats the worst... when there is no air movement is when the little beasties like fungus and bugses proliferate

Seems I get enough bugs to keep the fungus from taking hold...
Or having leaf surface at all for that matter!:eek:

My trees have been touched by Jesus this year....they are all HOLY!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My rooftop

Nice....

I miss rooftop growing.

There is sooooo much shit down here in the earthst floor....sucks balls!

I love bugs, used to look for them as a kid...catch bees, butterflies, found an inch worm sitting in a tree at the park the other night, and my guy was like....."how the Fuck did you see that?"....always lifting a rock, etc.

Love bugs...

And I have found no less than 8 bugs in this yard I have never seen before in my life!

It's like the Fucking Amazon!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just wished I had done preventative spraying.

Thank you for sharing this. I have similar problems with 2 Roses and to a lesser degree on one Quince as well. Never crossed my mind to do a preventative on either. I did the preventative on all my fruit trees and they are just fine. The weather here is unusual this year - growing out a Banana pup with no problems :p Been so hot and humid though it is stressing three Bald Cypress a bit and those pots are in 3-4 inches of water. Slight browning but should be fine.

Also, @johng might want to see this thread as I recall he might have had a similar problem on a couple of his Azalea this season.

Grimmy

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cracks me up when people say they have high humidity and give out a number like 60% or something. Anyway, since I'm just down the road from you I better do some preventative control this weekend. Thanks for the warning.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I cracks me up when people say they have high humidity and give out a number like 60% or something. Anyway, since I'm just down the road from you I better do some preventative control this weekend. Thanks for the warning.

Yeah, me too. I don't think that they know humidity like we do. Nothing like starting to sweat when you walk outside, no exertion at all or being able to "feel" the air. I do however love it, it can not take the cold or even think of living any further north. The day I had to get up and shovel my car out of the snow just to get somewhere would be the end for me.

John

Top Bottom