The Great Alberta Spruce Massacre (Please Help)!

SpruceWillis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Everyone,

I also posted this over in the tree specific forum - not sure if that's a faux pas (these are my first two posts).

No, I'm not an expert, and yes, I only watched the first 1/3 of a Heron's Bonsai video on pruning/wiring my first spruce before giving it a shot. Obligatory "I butchered it" and "I know it looks horrible" - please help me!

I accidentally topped the tree before reading that this was a horrible mistake. I've attached a photo from right after pruning, and as you can see it's not pretty (I thought I killed it).

Fast forward a month, and all the new buds are exploding with growth! I'm somehow very pleased with the progress in a month, and it doesn't seem like I killed the tree.

HOWEVER, the top is now a giant concern for me.... I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking maybe I can grow out one of the top branches and wire it to come over the top, making some sort of funky pad design?

My other thought was learning how to do some sort of deadwood, and turn the top 1/4 of the tree into something worthwhile.

The problem, of course, is that I have no idea what I'm talking about! I dare you to google "topped alberta spruce" - all i seem to find are articles on why death is imminent.

Does anyone have any comments or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it doesn't cry tears of the sun and you find twelve monkeys in it with your 6th sense it may not be armageddon.

Sorce

Top Bottom