The Great Hibiscus Yard Tree Experiment for White Fly Treatment

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Here in Southern California (10b), hibiscus get infested with white fly really bad. The fuzzy white beards hanging from the underside of the leaves about the middle of the tree and down. The honeydew, then the mold, then the ants protecting the entire petri dish. Infestations so bad in fact, many landscape designers refuse to use them. Hibiscus are actually drought tolerant for being a tropical which is interesting. Reportedly, overwatering increases whitefly pops. My 8x6 tree gets a deep watering less than once a month.

So the natural experimental treatment…..worm castings watered in around the base. Not the cheapest but better than spraying or using a systemic. Lots of hummers, bees and other beneficials on the tree 24/7. Yesterday I used about 1/2-1 inch layer of castings sprinkled around the base.

The word on the street….the hibuscus takes up mass abouts of chitinase which when ingested, breaks down the exoskeleton of the pest insects. I guess the smell or it’s mere presence in the plant is a deterrent as well. Wish me luck. The infestation is really disgusting.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder why no researchers experiment with shellac when on the chitin bandwagon.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have also hear silica supplements, for example a product from Dyna Gro with Silica either sodium silicate or calcium silicate in in fairly alkaline solution. Buffered to be barely tolerable by plants. Organic growers would use horsetail compost for the silica.

Tried the silica on orchids, texture of leaves did change, became more glossy, more firm. But can't really say more pest resistance. My trial did not last that long. Abandoned use, but forgot why.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have also hear silica supplements, for example a product from Dyna Gro with Silica either sodium silicate or calcium silicate in in fairly alkaline solution. Buffered to be barely tolerable by plants. Organic growers would use horsetail compost for the silica.

Tried the silica on orchids, texture of leaves did change, became more glossy, more firm. But can't really say more pest resistance. My trial did not last that long. Abandoned use, but forgot why.
I think potassium silicate would be cheaper. Most paint stores sell it.

@nuttiest
Chitin is broken down by the enzyme chitinase. Chitin and chitinase are not the same, closer to the opposite ;-)

Top Bottom