The Great Keppler vs Heath Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The great Al Keppler (decades in bonsai) recently challenged me (5 years in bonsai), to a bonsai dual with the following words.

Tell you what Will, I'll match you tree for tree in the contest. You enter four I'll enter four. You enter 12 I'll enter 12.

I know that your next move will be that since you own the joint, you can't participate. Well I have an alternative. Post them here. Tree for tree. However many you wish to post. I'll even post them style for style since my collection is quite wide except for literati style trees. I don't have much material that has beem deemed only good for literati....

To which I replied:

Okay Al, even though you dodged out of or ignored every challenge I ever threw at you, I'll accept yours under the following simple conditions.

1) You pick the style, any style is fine with me

2) You post it here, right in this thread where you started all this crap

3) You post your tree first, one tree and only one, then I'll post one and only one.

4) No need for judges, the membership here will see the truth for what it is.

5) This ends these stupid gun fights from you once and for all.

If you agree to these few conditions, then you're on.

I decided, due to the thousands of words posted on the thread where this came from, that I would start this thread just for Al's challenge. I'm sure Al wants everyone to see this, so tell your friends, log your mother on the laptop, notify the magazines and the world masters, the dual is on.

Al posts one tree, I post one tree, and it's over. No need for judges, the members will see the truth for what it is. By agreement, the gun slinging ends after this.

Silence please. Please refrain from posting until after the dual.

Your move Al.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The great Al Keppler (decades in bonsai) recently challenged me (5 years in bonsai), to a bonsai dual with the following words.

To which I replied:

I decided, due to the thousands of words posted on the thread where this came from, that I would start this thread just for Al's challenge. I'm sure Al wants everyone to see this, so tell your friends, log your mother on the laptop, notify the magazines and the world masters, the dual is on.

Al posts one tree, I post one tree, and it's over. No need for judges, the members will see the truth for what it is. By agreement, the gun slinging ends after this.

Silence please. Please refrain from posting until after the dual.

Your move Al.

Hmmm, seems to me Al has already posted 5 excellent trees all of six years work or less. But because you insist on laying your own ground rules, you refuse to put up. So Shut UP.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I don't see why this thread had to be started. Smoke posted a very nice slanting procumbens which was clearly from nursery stock (albeit well picked out and not junk nursery stock).

Why not just respond to that tree, in the thread where you specifically asked him to post?

As Paul so eloquently said:

Yawn...........

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I politely asked all to leave this thread uncluttered until after Al posts his single tree and me, mine. Can we do that out of respect for Al's deep seated need to prove himself better than me?

I don't see why this thread had to be started. Smoke posted a very nice slanting procumbens which was clearly from nursery stock (albeit well picked out and not junk nursery stock).

Why not just respond to that tree, in the thread where you specifically asked him to post?...........

I simply made the rules clear and really easy for Al, so there should be no excuse for him to back out this time, He asked me to name the number of trees, I did, one single tree, not 5, not 6. just one.

I wanted Al to have a full stage for his challenge, so he can get maximum coverage for his trunk swinging and chest beating without a lot of crap burying it, hence this thread. He can link to it and cite it forever, hell, he can print it out and frame it.

Come on Al, this isn't me challenging you, it is me accepting your own challenge, post your best tree, any style, any species, this is what you called me on, don't chicken out now, especially from your own challenge! You post one, only one, and then I'll post one, only one.

Here's your chance to show the world what the great Al Keppler has created after 30 years in bonsai and to stomp a man with five years in bonsai to the ground. What are you waiting for? Would it help if I sat in a wheelchair?

All, Can we please withold the comments until after Al and I have posted our single tree?

Waiting,

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I politely asked all to leave this thread uncluttered until after Al posts his single tree and me, mine. Can we do that out of respect for Al's deep seated need to prove himself better than me?

I simply made the rules clear and really easy for Al, so there should be no excuse for him to back out this time, He asked me to name the number of trees, I did, one single tree, not 5, not 6. just one.

I wanted Al to have a full stage for his challenge, so he can get maximum coverage for his trunk swinging and chest beating without a lot of crap burying it, hence this thread. He can link to it and cite it forever, hell, he can print it out and frame it.

Come on Al, this isn't me challenging you, it is me accepting your own challenge, post your best tree, any style, any species, this is what you called me on, don't chicken out now, especially from your own challenge! You post one, only one, and then I'll post one, only one.

Here's your chance to show the world what the great Al Keppler has created after 30 years in bonsai and to stomp a man with five years in bonsai to the ground. What are you waiting for? Would it help if I sat in a wheelchair?

All, Can we please withold the comments until after Al and I have posted our single tree?

Waiting,

Will

Probably not, because you won't take the smallest modicum of consideration of others when thumping your own chest and setting up silly rules that only you know what loopholes may exist in. Just show something or SHUT UP.

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
What are you waiting for? Would it help if I sat in a wheelchair?

Will, perhaps not intended to be offensive, but this and the previous comment about a wheelchair (followed by a "lol") could be taken as offensive. Particularly to those who's father may have been confined to a motorized wheelchair for the last 10 years of his life until he finally passed away a few years ago.

Now, back to bonsai... or chest beating... or whatever this thread was about.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably not, because you won't take the smallest modicum of consideration of others when thumping your own chest and setting up silly rules that only you know what loopholes may exist in. Just show something or SHUT UP.

Chris,

Thanks for showing us once again how you pop into threads that do not concern you, only to attempt to incite another flame war. You are predictable, if nothing else.

What silly rules? What loop holes? Are you insane? Show one tree each, let the members decide, how simple can it get?

Oh yeah, you have been unsuccessfully trying to get me to shut up for years, guess what Einstein, it ain't working, it never will. You have fought against AoB, KoB, and anything I am involved with and they have all thrived. All these years, you couldn't even slow me down, pitiful.

But guess what? I can shut you up.

After careful consideration and reading through your posts, your blog, and your threads, I realized that you have absolutely nothing to contribute to the community. Your black pine articles come the closest to having any value at all, but I can read Boon's methods elsewhere. After 10 years in bonsai, studying with Boon, one of America's best artists, you have nothing decent at all to show in bonsai and yet you have the gall to tell me to post more trees.

Welcome to my ignore list genius. Now, you have the perfect stage, just like a BT, where you can bad mouth me, lie, defame, discredit, and slam me without response from me. Right up your alley! Enjoy yourself.

Al,

Come on, are you going to let others give excuses as to why you won't accept your own challenge?

Will, perhaps not intended to be offensive, but this and the previous comment about a wheelchair (followed by a "lol") could be taken as offensive. Particularly to those who's father may have been confined to a motorized wheelchair for the last 10 years of his life until he finally passed away a few years ago.

Now, back to bonsai... or chest beating... or whatever this thread was about.

You're right, I apoligize. It was not meant as a slam toward the disabled at all, but toward those who seem to only want to fight if the game is rigged in their favor.

For the record, my father also spent the last years of his life disabled. He could, however, still deliver a mean left hook. ;)

Will

Last edited:

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
For the record, my father also spent the last years of his life disabled. He could, however, still deliver a mean left hook. ;)

While mine promoted peace, compassion, and understanding. But, whatever works, I guess.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm closing this thread. I see nothing positive here in terms of the original objective or in the ongoing conversation. If you wish to have bonsai contests please do so in the spirit of mutual respect and a desire to improve the art of bonsai. If you cannot follow these guidelines you will need to find another place to hold your contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom