The Gump

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lovely...I bet when in bloom that pot combo pops! Is there a maker name with that pot? Love the finish...I'm looking for a pot for my own Satsuki Azalea...no rush...but, keeping my eyes open.
Last year's blooms...
image.jpg

This year's blooms seemed...more on the white side I felt. Which is fine...but your pot's finish is lovely. What is the size of your azalea "Gumpy"? And do you have any photos of it in bloom?
image.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Goodness! You don't normally see a Gumpo get that fat! What porker! I really like your trees John... You have a good eye, and don't seem too caught up in making a tree "look like a Bonsai"- you seem to be good at creating a nice, healthy, full image and getting to the smallest tree possible, keeping it simple and the results are very pleasing.

Thanks for posting.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Lovely...I bet when in bloom that pot combo pops! Is there a maker name with that pot? Love the finish...I'm looking for a pot for my own Satsuki Azalea...no rush...but, keeping my eyes open.
Last year's blooms...
View attachment 79921

This year's blooms seemed...more on the white side I felt. Which is fine...but your pot's finish is lovely. What is the size of your azalea "Gumpy"? And do you have any photos of it in bloom?
View attachment 79922

I purchased the pot from Byron Myrick at a bonsai show in Birmingham, Alabama. He is based in Mississippi and has been a vender at some of our club shows. He makes nice pots that are reasonably priced and will custom make them for you. Check out his site bmyrick.com.

I hope to place it little lower in the pot when I repot it.

Here is what it looked like earlier this year in bloom, not much to look at as I did not have time to trim it up to showcase the flowers:

DSC00206-1.jpg

Here is the haircut that it got in May of this year, don't be afraid to chop them hard, they will grow back. Just be careful on yours and mark the branches for color. the white branches can make any of the colors, the red will only be red.:DSC00565-1.jpg

Last edited:

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Nice little fatty! That's how I like em.
What's your preferred soil mix for azalea? Where did the tree come from ? Landscape?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Goodness! You don't normally see a Gumpo get that fat! What porker! I really like your trees John... You have a good eye, and don't seem too caught up in making a tree "look like a Bonsai"- you seem to be good at creating a nice, healthy, full image and getting to the smallest tree possible, keeping it simple and the results are very pleasing.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks, Eric, that is the nicest compliment I have ever gotten on one of my trees.

I like to try to let the tree choose what it wants to be, sometimes it needs a little help, but I don't stress over a lot of it.

Thanks,
John

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Nice little fatty! That's how I like em.
What's your preferred soil mix for azalea? Where did the tree come from ? Landscape?

I use my standard mix: lava, pumice, Turface, and pine bark. They seem to love it. The azalea was a nursery item, as are most of the ones that I have. The only landscape item that I have died last year from a spider mite infestation.

John

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow. looking good Vince! Nice pot, too. I need to find some more deep ones like that.

John
Thanks! The pot was a Christmas gift (I picked it out) from my smarter half. The one you and I are working on is coming along pretty good as well (the trunk is my Avatar). I'll try to get some update photos tomorrow.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks! The pot was a Christmas gift (I picked it out) from my smarter half. The one you and I are working on is coming along pretty good as well (the trunk is my Avatar). I'll try to get some update photos tomorrow.

That is good to know, I had wondered what had became of that one. It was the first time that I went out on a limb and really shared how I did things. I was really nervous as to whether or not it worked for you.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

And, as a side not, you read my mind, I was working outside today and was thinking and wondering if that one was the one we had worked on. If you have a chance, post some picture, I would like to see how it turned out.

John

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks John for that link! Need to decide on pot size...but plan on getting one from him. I really like that finish.

Any suggestions on how to mark the branches for color? I appreciate that tip...had no clue!

Vin...that pot finish really complements the bark on that tree!

Reactions: Vin

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks John for that link! Need to decide on pot size...but plan on getting one from him. I really like that finish.

Any suggestions on how to mark the branches for color? I appreciate that tip...had no clue!

Vin...that pot finish really complements the bark on that tree!

I use bread ties or tiny tie wraps, just loosely put around the branch to mark them. The tie wraps work best as you can get them in really bright colors and they are easy to spot.

John

Top Bottom