The Hemlock (Tsuga) Discussion THREAD.

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looked it up myself! Wow Sagebrush and wester juniper as invasive species. Maybe the area is not so suitable for Hemlock!
Others have Hemlocks that are far into development in the area. I also live at a higher elevation in the Ponderosa forest (not in town) on the edge of the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Plenty of partial shade. I also have a bunch of vine maples that do great, so I know the Hemlock should be fine in my micro climate. Quite a few as landscape trees around here as well.

Sagebrush and Western Juniper do thrive here, but further east into the lower elevations of the Great Basin.

After the repot, if it survives, I'll need to post some update pictures.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Others have Hemlocks that are far into development in the area. I also live at a higher elevation in the Ponderosa forest (not in town) on the edge of the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. Plenty of partial shade. I also have a bunch of vine maples that do great, so I know the Hemlock should be fine in my micro climate. Quite a few as landscape trees around here as well.

Sagebrush and Western Juniper do thrive here, but further east into the lower elevations of the Great Basin.

After the repot, if it survives, I'll need to post some update pictures.
I know of a collected Mt. hemlock that is thriving in Ashland. Higher elevation as well I believe.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I purchased this collected double trunk Western Hemlock last fall (2023). The only thing I've done so far is remove some exposed burlap and excessive dense soil on top of the pot and replaced it with pine mulch for the winter. Currently one of the trees has a few branches that look like they're drying out and curving up. It's never been dry. It lives in partial shade and sun depending on the time of day. It lives at 4000' elevation in a 6b zone and snow on and off throughout all of the winter.

Any thoughts on what could be causing these branches to do this? Only thing I can figure out, possibly blight?

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Video showing the branches: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5Y0Jt2xCj_/?igsh=cGNzYWJ3ODBuMmRz
When was the tree collected?
Could you post pictures of the weakened areas and also the strong parts for comparison?

Another thought: W. hemlock does not produce taproots. They usually develop shallow spreading root systems. If the tree hasn’t had time to colonize the whole pot it’s possible that most of its roots are near the surface and were damaged when the surface soil was removed.

Last edited:

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update… Decided to do an emergency repot on the Hemlock today. Has a bunch of great looking healthy roots. Had some dead ones as well, so they got cleaned out. Removed about half of the mountain soil and the decomposed pine bark that it had been planted in after collection.

I have it in a shaded spot in the nursery about 10’ from my other Hemlock that I brought back to life and is starting to look a lot better.

video and pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5cE7IoxX0B/?igsh=MW5peWo3angxMG5vYg==

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update… Decided to do an emergency repot on the Hemlock today. Has a bunch of great looking healthy roots. Had some dead ones as well, so they got cleaned out. Removed about half of the mountain soil and the decomposed pine bark that it had been planted in after collection.

I have it in a shaded spot in the nursery about 10’ from my other Hemlock that I brought back to life and is starting to look a lot better.

video and pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5cE7IoxX0B/?igsh=MW5peWo3angxMG5vYg==
Roots look fine.
FYI, that’s mountain hemlock, not western.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of my trial Tsuga c., to see if they can hack it in the coastal Carolina heat, is doing pretty well. I repotted them all in to bigger pots, but this one got more of a slip pot up.

I’ll give them another year before risking my collected one by bringing it down. It is in safe hands now.IMG_7558.jpeg

Top Bottom