The Houseplant Thread - what do you have?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome. I saw the pilea and a hoya in there?
It's neither! My girlfriend is a big hoya & pilea fan, but she's not allowed back in the apartment because she doesn't treat her aphids in her home. I got her to order some systemics today to finally get rid of those. Right now she owns roughly 14 cultivars of hoya. But most of them have never flowered.
The climbing vine is the laurel clock trumpet vine that I imported from Thailand. The pilea look-alike is something I don't know about, but it's growing on a stem and not from a rosette or bulb.
The sticky plants are drosera from Africa (capensis? From the cape?), they're pretty popular plants in nurseries but nobody knows a thing about them so most people kill them. I had a collection of 5 or 6 different types from all over the world, but one hot summer killed them all. They need constant moisture and if they dry out, they die within hours. They're pretty easy to propagate from leaf cutting though; a teaspoon of sugar in a teacup of water is enough to get them growing from excised leafs that float on top of the water, cover the cup with some plastic wrap and place it on a window sill. Shouldn't take more than three weeks before something pops out of the leaf.

The snail is the only surviving asolene spixi (out of two), the apple snail. I have some snail-eating assassin snails too, but they're being eaten alive by some kind of flatworm. I used pond water to fill this tank at first, there was a lot of life in there; flatworms with eyes, flatworms without eyes, leeches, all kinds of legged creatures and some crustaceans. It took some time to establish a balance; getting plants to grow faster than the algae, and there's still a warfare going on between the flatworms and the snails. Right now I'm waiting for the flat worms to die out naturally before I get my pink back-up snails out of the terrarium. Akadama serves a good purpose as aquarium floor. Pumice not so much, it floats.

It's true that pilea are insanely popular now in Europe, and they have been for the past two years. They're so easy to grow and multiply that I'm really not sure if I know anyone who doesn't have one. The polkadot begonia is also gaining foothold, and they're scarce too. A decent sized plant would easily be sold for 40 euros/USD. These too can be propagated from leaf cutting.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
neat. im really diggin my cane angelwing begonia and working on a stake for it/motherplant.

the pilea can eventually get stemmed out like that: As Pilea get older (one to two years) they grow tall and their central stem hardens to the point that they resemble a small tree. This is normal. They will continue to make sprouts and grow leaves. A large Pilea is a strong Pilea, and can be a source of new plants for as long as it lives.

and this:
In 1945, the species was found by Norwegian missionary Agnar Espegren in Yunnan Province when he was fleeing from Hunan Province. Espegren took cuttings with him back to Norway, by way of India, in 1946 and from there it was spread throughout Scandinavia.

cool your GF likes Hoyas, im on my 4th i think, got a grey speckled leaf type this past weekend.

i looked up flatworms with eyes and ill be damned! almost wish i hadnt

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
wrapped my shelf-posts with twine for custom trellis. this is really needed for philos, pothos, monstera, my two rap. tetrasperma, to be their best/biggest. ill have to train them around the shelfs but they will find their way. i have to mist these trellis.
20201116_072203_HDR_resized.jpg

also got a new Aloe, which had a few pups

20201116_072412~2_resized.jpg20201116_072650~2_resized.jpg

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
My hoya collection has grown a lot this summer. Here is one of my favorites at the moment, publicalyx silver pink.
Its just a baby so it could be a couple years before I see any blooms.

Attachments

• 20201116_143327.jpg
    20201116_143327.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 21

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My hoya collection has grown a lot this summer. Here is one of my favorites at the moment, publicalyx silver pink.
Any hints on getting them to flower? We inherited one a few years ago and no flowers so far..

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Any hints on getting them to flower? We inherited one a few years ago and no flowers so far..
Lots of indirect sun, a good orchid fertilizer during the summer and keep them root bound.

Don't cut any of the long vines, no matter how messy, those are the ones that usually make peduncles.
When it does bloom, never cut the peduncle, they will rebloom from the same one over and over

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
awesome. i just got a similar hoya, leaf shape/size/mine has grey splashes on it. yours have more variation/not sure if greys and pinks with the name you threw out for it. ill get a shot of mine soon on here

this past weekend i actually made 3 metal trellis for some of my hoya

small pots/rootbound/water sparingly/medium/bright sun is what i usually run for them. still need a bloom tho

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
monnierara Millennium Magic ‘witchcraft’

Had this beauty for about seven years. The flowers are nearly black so it’s really difficult to photograph. This year it’s got two flower spikes, first time ever, so I’m pumped.

Attachments

• 8BA74E81-D231-4EF5-8653-305342B9C819.jpeg
    8BA74E81-D231-4EF5-8653-305342B9C819.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 19
  • 5403B33B-A2E7-4C45-BEC6-1A8CFDF391E9.jpeg
    5403B33B-A2E7-4C45-BEC6-1A8CFDF391E9.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 17

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

Had this beauty for about seven years. The flowers are nearly black so it’s really difficult to photograph. This year it’s got two flower spikes, first time ever, so I’m pumped.
Solid claim right there. Its an orchid variation?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Very cool.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@hinmo24t , you mentioned in another thread (I think) that you’re near RI. There’s a place in Swansea called A&P orchids. Not sure if you’ve been but it’s incredible.
I live in dartmouth so that's just 15 mins from me...thanks. Heard about a place in pawtucket thats good. I go to peckmans greenhouse little compton and sylvans westport

Attachments

• 20201113_074930.jpg
    20201113_074930.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 8

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@GailC
here my new hoya. not positive the ID yet. the large leaf is beefy!!
the hoyas are above my sink/south window, but its the only old window left in my house and a bit drafty.
well see if i keep them there, they might go on my tropical shelf.
they dont like being wet but do enjoy humidity, so above the sink the get a lot of moisture (no dishwashing machine)

20201119_070015_resized.jpg

south window life. 7am in the pic, my dry area/succulents...i get sun in these windows 7am - mid afternoon

20201119_075031_resized.jpg

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
@GailC
here my new hoya. not positive the ID yet. the large leaf is beefy!!
the hoyas are above my sink/south window, but its the only old window left in my house and a bit drafty.
well see if i keep them there, they might go on my tropical shelf.
they dont like being wet but do enjoy humidity, so above the sink the get a lot of moisture (no dishwashing machine)

View attachment 340310

south window life. 7am in the pic, my dry area/succulents...i get sun in these windows 7am - mid afternoon

View attachment 340311

Hmm, I'm not sure what your big one is. It doesn't look like a publicalyx. I know what the skinny leaf one next to it is though.
There is a facebook group, hoya ID, that could help.

Your South window would be good for the hoya too, especially this time of year.

Top Bottom