The hunt for crushed lava rock...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all,

I'm having a heck of a time finding crushed lava rock to add as a component to my soil. Up to this point I've been just smashing large pieces so that they're smaller and can be used. No landscape places around me sell lava rock that is crushed and usable for bonsai. First question, has anyone used this stuff? Second question, if no one has used that, anyone know of a place (maybe online?) that sells crushed lava rock? Thanks for any comments.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The stuff you linked in your first post, I actually had a bag of it in my hand to see what it was about today. It felt like it was too big, but I was semi distracted by my kids. Not sure of the stuff in your second link but it looks fine.

I got mine from eBay. I checked and the seller I got from doesn't have any up now but there are plenty of others selling comparable stuff.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Can't say anything about the two products you showed, but I know of this source:

http://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/ecommerce/50-lb-bag-1-4-clean-red-lava-rock-lava50-1.rhtml (50 pound bag)

http://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/ecommerce/1-gallon-1-4-clean-red-lava-rock-lavapail.rhtml (1 gallon)

Not sure how much it would cost to ship the 50 pound bag to you...it's possible you might be able to find this stuff somewhere in your area.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll definitely see if I can source that anywhere near me. Shipping probably wouldn't be pretty.

The stuff you linked in your first post, I actually had a bag of it in my hand to see what it was about today. It felt like it was too big, but I was semi distracted by my kids. Not sure of the stuff in your second link but it looks fine.

That's what I was really wondering. The reviews on Amazon were mixed about the particle size, so I'm hesitant.

So I assume you didn't buy a bag of it?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No I didn't. I would check eBay, there are several options there listing sizes and most have a flat rate shipping so it's not too bad even though its heavy. Depends really though on how much of the stuff you need.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
You East Coasters have it tough. Out here in California we can get red lava for $5 for a 30 lb sack at the local rockery. Maruyama bonsai nursery in Sacramento has a beautiful mix of black, red and tan that they sell for $4/5 gallon container.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You East Coasters have it tough. Out here in California we can get red lava for $5 for a 30 lb sack at the local rockery. Maruyama bonsai nursery in Sacramento has a beautiful mix of black, red and tan that they sell for $4/5 gallon container.

Interested in helping/sending some poor soul via large USPS flat rate box? ;) :eek: We will pay of course plus add some for your troubles.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

That's incredibly fortunate for you all :(

I wish...

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

go ring of fire!!!! whoooo! yeah! whoooo!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, some of the PBA clubs get together and buy pallets of the stuff from Roy Nagatoshi. I dont think they do it every year, but last year I ended up buying probably 300 pounds (I forget how many gallons). The price was better than getting from sources like Hollow Creek. I'll let you know if my club (NVBS) ends up doing a group order again.

mark_g

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
$10 for a pound is ridiculous.

I have a local source for the Beam Clay Coh posted. It is excellent stuff. $0.70/lb is a fair price.

hi amkhalid,
im also here in Toronto, and cannot find a source of this stuff.. would you kindly please tell your source :) thanks in advance..

mark g

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan, some of the PBA clubs get together and buy pallets of the stuff from Roy Nagatoshi. I dont think they do it every year, but last year I ended up buying probably 300 pounds (I forget how many gallons). The price was better than getting from sources like Hollow Creek. I'll let you know if my club (NVBS) ends up doing a group order again.

That'd be great! I'll shoot them an email as well to see what they say.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Can't say anything about the two products you showed, but I know of this source:

http://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/ecommerce/50-lb-bag-1-4-clean-red-lava-rock-lava50-1.rhtml (50 pound bag)

http://www.hollowcreekbonsai.com/ecommerce/1-gallon-1-4-clean-red-lava-rock-lavapail.rhtml (1 gallon)

Not sure how much it would cost to ship the 50 pound bag to you...it's possible you might be able to find this stuff somewhere in your area.

Chris

Chris, do you know how many gals. is 50#?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know. All I can tell you is that it's roughly the same size as a 50 pound bag of turface, if you're familiar with that. It's definitely larger than the 16 L (~4 gal) bags of the Dragon Spring bonsai soil, by at least a gallon I'd say.

Chris

Top Bottom