The I hate "insert tree" thread

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do not understand the idea of a "street tree" Sure they look nice and all but once they mature the center section of the apex is cut out to make room for power lines and then you get stuck with all of these V shaped canopies . Then the next ice storm or sever thunderstorms that come along usually take out have of the V shaped canopy which causes the balance to be thrown off so the remaining tree comes down taking the power lines with it.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Eastern White Pine. They are a beautiful tree it's the fact that they don't play nice as a bonsai that I don't like them.

EWP! Why can't you just behave your self? Your cousin JWP never acts like this.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll join the "hate juniper" team. I think my issue is trying to manage the juvenile vs mature foliage. And I just don't much like the way they look.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hate as in hate the look of them or hate as in hate to own them? If its hate the look then for me it's Jade and Ginseng. For some reason I just hate to even look at those two trees :D If its hate to own then Fukien tea. I love the look of them but they are so temperamental its just ridiculous. I've owned four of them and lost them all with the longest living one lasting 3 years till it died.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Green ash. I hate the term "trash tree" because every tree is good in its place, but seriously. They are the last to leaf out, start dropping anthracnose leaves in June, produce negligible fall color and wrap it up by the second week of October leaving us seven months to stare at their ugly branch structure.
Now the ash boarrer is taking them out, and good riddance. Just a pity that it has to take a nice tree like the white ash with it.

I love all other trees.

Reaction score
No ashes are awesome. It's the neighbour's willow that's the worst! And the best actually. I love/hate it. It shades my trees very nicely and has this mist coming off the leaves. NICE!
It also drops branchlets like crazy and drives away everything growing underneath including our raspberries! SHIT!

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No ashes are awesome. It's the neighbour's willow that's the worst! And the best actually. I love/hate it. It shades my trees very nicely and has this mist coming off the leaves. NICE!
It also drops branchlets like crazy and drives away everything growing underneath including our raspberries! SHIT!
... It beats raspberries?
Holy crap.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hate the term "trash tree" because every tree is good in its place, but seriously.

“Trash tree” was developed for the weeping willow in my old back yard... talk about trash! I hate them, leaves found their way through gutter guards, roots invaded and collapse drain pipes, and it constantly dropped branches big and small, had to rake before mowing every week or they’d get tangled up in the grass chute of the mower bag... oh, and they’re short lived and terrible for bonsai... useless trash dumping tree IMHO...

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are there any trees you hate, and why?

Persimmon trees!!!

My great grandmother had one in the back yard and every time we ran barefoot we inevitable stepped on the squishy rotten ones that had fallen to the ground!!! It was disgusting.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
“Trash tree” was developed for the weeping willow in my old back yard...

“Trash tree” in Louisiana where I’m from would be the China Berry tree; or as they are better known, the “chicken tree”.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not understand the idea of a "street tree" Sure they look nice and all but once they mature the center section of the apex is cut out to make room for power lines and then you get stuck with all of these V shaped canopies . Then the next ice storm or sever thunderstorms that come along usually take out have of the V shaped canopy which causes the balance to be thrown off so the remaining tree comes down taking the power lines with it.

Well, right off the bat:

1) They provide shade.
2) They serve as habitat for the urban wildlife.
3) They look nice, despite the pruning to make room for electrical lines. The nicest streets of any city always have big old trees.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It would be Burch for me. In my area they are just massive aphid breading grounds (unless you get them treated every year which many do not). My last house had two in the back yard and if I forgot to get them treated, by mid-summer they would be dripping sticky aphid goo all over everything. And if that were not enough, the previous owner had topped them at some point, so the raw cuts were full of termites.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
They look beautiful in flower, and there are certainly a few specimens that I admire (like the "survivor tree" at the 9/11 memorial), but I HATE ornamental pear trees like Bradford and Cleveland Pears. They split wood due to their growth habit and have many disease problems; pear trellis disease in particular which you are likely to get when planted near a damn juniper. So you immediately create a liability for your landscape with planting Pyrus in the vicinity of Juniper. They're also common street trees here in NY which is no surprise seeing municipalities here have no idea on how to chose the right tree for the right location.

Top Bottom