The ideal growing containers for pre bonsai ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So this year I have made a ton of cuttings and in the spring I will transplant them in separate containers to grow . I have been debating on what containers I should use and how much it even matters . I have considered nursery containers , felt grow bags and different plastic containers. What do you guys use and would recommend for 80 cuttings ?
And any other thoughts on felt grow bags ?

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Plastic nursery containers would probably be best for that number of cuttings unless you want to spend more money than necessary. I use grow bags frequently for other plants, but have had really bad results with trees (gets to hot here and I move them too much).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My choice depends what I want from the trees.
For smaller bonsai and for slow developed bonsai I choose smaller nursery pots.
For quicker development I choose larger pots or boxes. Grow bags can also be used but they were designed for in ground planting and sometimes don't stand up well above ground. Many here like the anderson flats thinking that will help with a shallow root system but I prefer good root pruning to develop a good, flat nebari.
For fastest growth plant straight into the ground.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Things that layer easily should be ground grown.

Things that don't like root disturbance should be in root pruning devices.

And everything in between.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In addition to what has been posted, the type of plants you have rooted has bearing. And the container you use has bearing as to the growing mix you use. I use grow bags, pond pots, nursery pots, flats and grow boxes.
I would suggest looking here through the archives. Start by putting grow bags in your search. You will be amazed how much has already been said here. You will also be surprised at the variance of responses.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can also alternate ground and pot growth every 2-3 years.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
For the first 2 years you can pretty much use anything to grow your seedlings IMO.
And to keep costs down you can try to collect left over nursery pots at garden centers (free of charge).

I've also found loads of used nursery pots at thrift stores for almost nothing.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is my take, you said pre-bonsai, but then said cuttings. So for cuttings, any propagation tray will work. I am a fan of Dr. Whitcomb Root Makers for that because they are built to air prune the roots removing the tap root in the process. From there you can decide where to place them once they get to the pre-bonsai stage.

For deciduous trees I am trying Rootpouch this year, depending on how the roots look and how the trunk grows I will decide the next step. Either an oversize shallow box, or an oversize shallow Rootpouch to keep the roots shallow to make it easier to move into a bonsai pot.

For JBP I have all of them in Rootpouch, I don't see anything wrong with them from the success that Telperion had with their field grown trees.

I notice that the trees grow stronger in Rootpouch, but the nebari flare is not as pronounced as when grown in a shallow box. Probably because the tree has a lot of feeder roots, but its lacking the long roots that thicken running laterally from the tree trunk. This is why I plan on experimenting with oversize boxes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you need to be able to move them? If not, put them in the ground. If you don't have ground to put them in, use a raised bed planter.

I have a domestic plan that includes moving three times in three years. Therefore all my plants have to be in containers. Larger plants I swear by Anderson flats... which are simply large square, squat nursery pots with drainage in the bottom, designed to reused for years. Smaller plants I mostly use pond baskets, because they generate fibrous root growth without root encirclement on the inside of the container that happens in traditional nursery pots.

Added benefit of Anderson flats... if you put them on dirt, roots will run out the bottom of the flat and into the dirt, increasing growth rates. Then when you need to move them, cut along the bottom of the pot with a bow saw. Voila! Flat root mass! I do this when the trees approach 10' in height.

Top Bottom