The Impatient Juniper- Parsonii Juniper

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I saw these a few weeks ago at a local nursery. Was intrigued but never really had much interest in doing a juniper. Today I had some time before seeing a client and looked again and said eff it with the 25% off bringing it in around $20. Not bad for something that’s not a stick in a pot. Took it home and did exactly what you shouldn’t do. Heavily pruned, reduced the roots, found the nebari wired and left plenty of stubs to carve in the future. I know they are tough trees but only time will tell if I killed it!

(sorry for the non professional images, I have no good place to shoot a photo)

46614516-CF2B-4316-8F36-6C1E874B519A.jpeg1AE37883-762A-4544-BD08-C85BEF9BE7B7.jpeg23CFC8B0-8E7F-4F07-8CDF-D3D5B3929CCA.jpeg4599AA65-5964-4FC3-94D0-ED11D3833221.jpeg4217A8AF-9DD9-463A-BE48-224AD4B32272.jpegBDCD03F1-3FC2-4CC6-90AC-41C3FFC4825D.jpeg

Attachments

• 6511BB3D-5D11-448C-97FE-C5B1821878E2.jpeg
    6511BB3D-5D11-448C-97FE-C5B1821878E2.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 8C50C149-F90C-4877-8F8E-FBABB0B9359B.jpeg
    8C50C149-F90C-4877-8F8E-FBABB0B9359B.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 8

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Next time, do it slower. Start with a toothbrush to clean up the interior & remove dead twigs without damaging young foliage growing close-in so you can see the structure better. Use the toothbrush to expose the nebari. Stop at that point for a few days and visit the tree whenever you are having a soda break and rotate the tree so you get a clear view of not only what you think is a good view supported by what is, but what you hate, want to hide, and what ain't there. The front is a trade-off in every case and a couple degrees one way or the other can make all the difference in an rectangular pot.

The difference between you and John Naka is he could look at a tree for 3 minutes and see all the possible and impossible. You need time, alcohol, friends, the occasional enemy, books, videos, photos, etc. The longer you take for the process, the happier you will be with fewer cases of finding the tree in a pot where the best view is from the right-hand corner.

There are at least 78 different factors you need to consider before removing what used to be your best option. Ultimate size: if you remove all the tiny twigs in the interior close to the trunk you can kiss goodbye to mame. Remove that one scrawny, wild branch that's flopping around and in the way and bunjin disappears. Not what you wanted when you bought the tree? Those are two designs that are more happenstance than creation. The big shooters don't impose a design upon stock, they make the best of it, and so should you. The reason you see so few credible mame and bunjin is that they are the product of starting with a good candidate and then applying the process to accentuate what is. A small tree is no more a mame just because it's small any more than a meal is good just because there's a lot on the plate. Bunjin and mame have good bones or they don't fly. That's easy to see, but the same logic applies to all the other design, too, they are just not as demanding of good bones, or so some think. The world is full of Nothing Trees. Trees that someone said, "I'm going to make a formal upright, I'll take this one." John is good enough to look through the rows of stock and choose the right one, but until we get to that level of having, The Eye, we need to approach the game with more modesty. For the first many years most people should say, "I'd like a Yew, I'll take this one." Then accentuate the design of what is, rather than forcing it to become as close to what we can to that formal upright, or whatever. I've been doing this 20 years and I'm still in the Not John Naka group.

So, we take our time and stretch out the process to avoid missing something because we weren't looking for it. You can suck on a piece of candy for 15 minutes, or you can bite down and chew it up in under a minute. The longer you take for the process, the longer you can enjoy the taste in your mouth. Try to proceed so you get that extra 14 minutes of pleasure.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
great to see you get your hands dirty and working on it.

You have done so much to thetree that you would be best off to not do anything for the next 6 months. If in spring it starts growing happily.. Wor the deadwood and let the green do its thing. You have put the tree in a situation that you need to wait a full growing season before it is save to so any wiring again. :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a Juniper and hacked away at it. Basically spoilt it.
When did you do this work?

It might be OK with the cascading branch. But you might get it to be a nice tree if you only use the canopy branches. Make a small informal upright.

As long as it lives there are options. Never forget that.
Or better.. Once it is dead, options are few.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Next time, do it slower. Start with a toothbrush to clean up the interior & remove dead twigs without damaging young foliage growing close-in so you can see the structure better. Use the toothbrush to expose the nebari. Stop at that point for a few days and visit the tree whenever you are having a soda break and rotate the tree so you get a clear view of not only what you think is a good view supported by what is, but what you hate, want to hide, and what ain't there. The front is a trade-off in every case and a couple degrees one way or the other can make all the difference in an rectangular pot.

The difference between you and John Naka is he could look at a tree for 3 minutes and see all the possible and impossible. You need time, alcohol, friends, the occasional enemy, books, videos, photos, etc. The longer you take for the process, the happier you will be with fewer cases of finding the tree in a pot where the best view is from the right-hand corner.

There are at least 78 different factors you need to consider before removing what used to be your best option. Ultimate size: if you remove all the tiny twigs in the interior close to the trunk you can kiss goodbye to mame. Remove that one scrawny, wild branch that's flopping around and in the way and bunjin disappears. Not what you wanted when you bought the tree? Those are two designs that are more happenstance than creation. The big shooters don't impose a design upon stock, they make the best of it, and so should you. The reason you see so few credible mame and bunjin is that they are the product of starting with a good candidate and then applying the process to accentuate what is. A small tree is no more a mame just because it's small any more than a meal is good just because there's a lot on the plate. Bunjin and mame have good bones or they don't fly. That's easy to see, but the same logic applies to all the other design, too, they are just not as demanding of good bones, or so some think. The world is full of Nothing Trees. Trees that someone said, "I'm going to make a formal upright, I'll take this one." John is good enough to look through the rows of stock and choose the right one, but until we get to that level of having, The Eye, we need to approach the game with more modesty. For the first many years most people should say, "I'd like a Yew, I'll take this one." Then accentuate the design of what is, rather than forcing it to become as close to what we can to that formal upright, or whatever. I've been doing this 20 years and I'm still in the Not John Naka group.

So, we take our time and stretch out the process to avoid missing something because we weren't looking for it. You can suck on a piece of candy for 15 minutes, or you can bite down and chew it up in under a minute. The longer you take for the process, the longer you can enjoy the taste in your mouth. Try to proceed so you get that extra 14 minutes of pleasure.

Damn, dude. That's a well-written post and solid advice. This is how I approach things also. Bonsai is good for me because it rewards thoughtful analysis and careful patience.

I can see value too in more of a "just do it" philosophy, but as with all things, balance is key. Ripping into material to force yourself to make decisions might be a good exercise. It's not one that I've personally tried though.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When did you do this work?

It might be OK with the cascading branch. But you might get it to be a nice tree if you only use the canopy branches. Make a small informal upright.

As long as it lives there are options. Never forget that.
Or better.. Once it is dead, options are few.
Sorry to @Jzack605 for hijacking his post!!! Did the work about 2 months ago. There are actually 2 cascading branches. The photo angle isnt great. I thought about doing what you suggested by layering both cascades and turning them upside down. I will leave the thread to it's proper owner. Might start a knackered juniper thread!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Jzack605 - I like your enthusiasm. Nothing beats getting your hands dirty. The good news is that junipers are remarkably resilient, there is a chance that the tree will survive. But, @Forsoothe! did give you good advice about the benefits of going slow. So if you are lucky, it will live. And it might become interesting. Pick up more junipers, and take each a bit slower.

Top Bottom