The infamous "knee root"...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Everyone keeps hearing mention of it...well its currently residing in the mother tree's pot. Which is a Boston Ivy.

What can I say...I love the species. :oops:
20171029_135243.jpg

20171029_135338.jpg

Pull the substrate back a little...and I squint my eyes...I see potential. Some may need to squint to the point their eyes are shut tight. Lol

20171029_135108.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now that you all seen its raw potential...o_O...:p...I hope to wow you one day with it. :cool: This...part I am serious on. One of my projects I am looking forward to start come spring...because I love the species so much.

Exposed root or...ROR...who knows. Hoping one of those. Time will tell...will have to listen to it when I get it out of its current pot.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Exposed root or...ROR...who knows. Hoping one of those. Time will tell...will have to listen to it when I get it out of its current pot.

That is either a loop root or another trunk. Cannot tell without digging in deep and exposing it but I suspect a loop root. Happens with many plants including my Bald Cypress when root bound. It can be worked with or cut off like I do with the Serrisa. If you look very closely at the one I have a thread on I left one to complete a small loop and cut and spread out others.

Your plant is darn nice and if it were mine I would consider exposed root although it takes a bit of time and patience :)

@Mellow Mullet , @BillsBayou - what say you?

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@GrimLore ... Had ones calling it a knee root on a Facebook group telling me to pull it down or remove it. When I pushed it down...it came off the mother tree. I guess it doesn't really matter knee root or loop root...it detracted from the look of the main tree. So needed removed. Now...I have a pretty cool rock from Scott Lee. Came from Wyoming on a trip he had out that way. Has a natural groove in it. If one of the roots can be slipped into that...then...I would love a ROR...if not the stone will get a Daiza built for it. I won't be upset with an exposed root...like Al (@Smoke )has with his Root elms he created.

Since it no longer is connected to the mother plant...not sure about spreading it out. Unsure what post your talking about. Will see if I can find it. But...to me it needs removed to not distract from the front of the main tree.

The rock...wedged into a small pot to stand upright.
image.jpg image.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The rock...wedged into a small pot to stand upright.

If it broke off it was a loop root, plant it!

How big is that stone? In relation to the plant will it be big enough to be seen and support the plant? Curious and certainly not saying it could not be done is all :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it broke off it was a loop root, plant it!

How big is that stone? In relation to the plant will it be big enough to be seen and support the plant? Curious and certainly not saying it could not be done is all :)

Grimmy
Stone is 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"...its a boston ivy mame at best... It will be kept tight. I don't like long untaper branches. Scott Lee knew my material...I doubt he would steer me wrong. Though he had a larger one...I felt this looked like petrified wood...resembling vine over a rotted post even...without worry of decay.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That is either a loop root or another trunk. Cannot tell without digging in deep and exposing it but I suspect a loop root. Happens with many plants including my Bald Cypress when root bound. It can be worked with or cut off like I do with the Serrisa. If you look very closely at the one I have a thread on I left one to complete a small loop and cut and spread out others.

Your plant is darn nice and if it were mine I would consider exposed root although it takes a bit of time and patience :)

@Mellow Mullet , @BillsBayou - what say you?

Grimmy
I like my women like I like my roots, loopy.

No. That's not right.

If the tree can do without it, cut that loop off. It could be a side-effect of being root-bound, of not having it's roots properly combed out, of living in one up-potted nursery container after another, or it could just be a loopy species. In any case, it's an unnatural distraction.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That would mean...no daiza then. Hm-mm will consider. My friend Barb felt all along the rock was to nice for a ROR.

Perhaps an ocean blue tray/shallow pot, filled with sand? Straight on view would look a bit like the ocean hitting the shore... gears spinning is all :p

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really did like Al's exposed root elms...so...not totally out of the direction. If the roots are there...then I honestly feel...it would have more character without the rock. Rock was...to have just in case. Thanks Grimmy for pointing out the rock looked like a landmark. Makes it seem more fitting to not use it almost.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now that you all seen its raw potential...o_O...:p...

It depends what the rest of the tree looks like, and whether you belong to a "chapel": the Japanese, and most westerners would probably find a fault there.

For Asians (pardon me if this sounds a cliché), I think it could be an interesting feature, provided the rest of the tree is not a "broom" or an "upright" tree, a matter of adequacy in the overall design.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hey Darlene, are you talking about using the root as the plant for the ROR? I think it would be a great way to go, the rock is cool, I would not use a daiza though, I think a tray or real shallow pot. You will have to have something to hold substrate for the roots to grow in.

I don't know where others got it was a knee, I think that knee growth is unique to bald and pond cypress, I could be wrong though, but certainly not on ivy. It looks to me to be just a root that grew wonky as the tree was growing out. The mother tree will look much better without it.

Keep us updated.

John

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Mellow Mullet ...John,I had bought the rock...with intentions of ROR if possible. Running it up the side. Not sitting on top...using the grove in it for a root.

If I did daiza it was for the rock alone...IF...I chose exposed root.

Definitely...a wonky root!!! It needs removed no doubt about it. Love the species. That it is a mame...why not another one.

So you are for the use of the rock...of it works?

Last edited:
Top Bottom