The Island of Misfit Trees

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The other day I was prowling a local nursery when I stumbled upon their Island of Misfit Trees. They all seem to have one. You know the kind of spot I mean -- an over-shaded or under-watered corner of the property where a ragtag bunch of plants -- broken, browning, or otherwise unfit for fine gardens -- are tossed together over the years. Some of them die, some escape into the ground and run wild, and some live out a scraggly pot-bound retirement, mostly out of view of discerning customers.

To me, this is the best part of the nursery; it is where Diamonds in the very-rough are to be found. Trunks thickened by escaped roots, low branching caused by broken off tops, and faded labels that lead to prices like " I don' know, how about $10" . . .

Sure, there are no easy masterpieces here. Anything rescued from the Island of Misfit Trees will probably require drastic chops or severe bends, air layers or ground layes, years to untangle a root brick, and acts of tree brutality that would make the cashier refuse to sell to you, even if the tree is doomed otherwise. But there is potential, and there is excitement in finding and exploiting it.

So, is it just me, or is this a real phenomenon? Do some of you also instinctively seek out these forgotten trees? Does anyone have misfit finds so beautiful now that they wouldn't be let back on the island by their former compatriots?

Clearly I have bonsai on the brain this morning, and I may have had too much coffee, but it's fun to wax poetic about a hobby that so captures my attention and imagination. Happy Hunting!

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Colin,

Same here. Even before I got into Bonsai, I always liked the discount area. More character AND less money.

Here's a deep dark secret: I'm more into collecting, potting and starting bonsai, than the upkeep of a finished tree. (at least I think so, as I don't have any really finished trees)

The thrill of finding that neglected nursery plant, discarded yew, backcountry stunted hemlock just seems so much more interesting than developing ramification and repotting. I just can't get enough of the Graham Potter "Bonsai for less than a shirt" type stuff!

I do enjoy the day to day care of and progress of my trees, but its not so enthralling as "the find".

CW

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Colin,

Same here. Even before I got into Bonsai, I always liked the discount area. More character AND less money.

Here's a deep dark secret: I'm more into collecting, potting and starting bonsai, than the upkeep of a finished tree. (at least I think so, as I don't have any really finished trees)

The thrill of finding that neglected nursery plant, discarded yew, backcountry stunted hemlock just seems so much more interesting than developing ramification and repotting. I just can't get enough of the Graham Potter "Bonsai for less than a shirt" type stuff!

I do enjoy the day to day care of and progress of my trees, but its not so enthralling as "the find".

CW
Sound like a soul mate.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love this. I have actually gotten to the point where I would rather go to the landfill and wait for unsuspecting homeowners to drop off landscaping discards than go to the nurseries.

Top Bottom