The joys of sifting

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I just made my 1st sifter with some scrap wood and 1/8” hardware cloth (ace hardware). I was on a newbie high and started sifting turface and potting soil for pine bark fines. I found something very satisfying and surpassing that the sifter actually worked. Naturally I had shout it from a small molehill.

Both materials sifted well but the pine fines had plenty of large pieces left. I have 1/4” hardware cloth but I’m not sure if that’s too small. Any suggestions on pine bark fine sizes? Do I need to find 3/8” hardware cloth maybe.

Lastly, feel free to mention if you think there’s something therapeutic about sifting (asks the guy who only did it for about 20 min).

Attachments

• 56D1210C-CE75-4C20-9E9D-57822EDAA9F6.jpeg
    56D1210C-CE75-4C20-9E9D-57822EDAA9F6.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 25

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you also find it therapeutic when you get slivers under your finger nails?
Ive decided this is the year I will build me an auto sifter shaker,.... too many hours in a dust mask to be therapeutic for me.

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No I prefer my fingernails un-slivered. I also currently don’t have a huge tree collection that will need a lot of soil....yet.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I often do my sifting outside in the cold by the wood pile. I enjoy the quiet of winter well my face sweats from wearing my mask. This year I am also thinking of building a stacking sifter.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work.

Have you considered bracing beneath the screen?..even if just two parallel strips?
Seems this could add some longevity to it over time.
BA373F5F-A64B-4C4F-BF27-2FC9A819AF56.jpeg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do find it a bit therapeutic to stick my hand in my finished soil mix for some reason, perhaps it’s the feel of the uniformity of the particle sizes?
Or perhaps all the work that went into getting it to that point has paid off.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Handles on opposite sides will make a big difference as well.
1541909970575.png

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great suggestions, bracing and handles would really definitely kick it up another notch. Yes, I agree the feeling of the finished product in your fingers is very satisfying.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I sift NAPA DE, and the therapy is in the repetition of a mindless yet meaningful Duty. I often do it outside, with a fan blowing away from me, wearing a mask. If any of the neighbor see in my backyard they probably think I'm crazy. I try to sift early in the morning hours usually Saturdays lol

EDIT: I do have an old Kaneshin set of sifters, but I just use strainer and frying baskets from a food supply/ chef store

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do find it a bit therapeutic to stick my hand in my finished soil mix for some reason, perhaps it’s the feel of the uniformity of the particle sizes?
Or perhaps all the work that went into getting it to that point has paid off.
Hehe, I thought I was the only one :D

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel that. I always feel like I’m in a scene from breaking bad, I hope my neighbors don’t think I’m cooking meth lol.
My neighbor thought I sifted dirt looking for gold or something. When I told him it was for my bonsai trees, that’s when he looked at me like I was ? crazy.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One eighth, 1/4, 3/8" seems good. Personally have 3 screen set from Jonas and price was not bad. Until getting backache very much enjoy sifting;).

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every year, the 10 x 10 x 3 foot compost heap is harvested.
Requires a coarse and finer sifting.
Few minutes and the half 55 US gallon black plastic barrel is
full.

You can get stainless steel sieves that fit into a steel
ring out of India -------- very relaxing to use.
Circle is easier than wooden rectangles.
Also quantity being sifted does not hurt the wrist or hand.
We have over 300 efforts.

We re-use the silica based gravel and the old compost is
sent to the vegetable zones.

When repotting the 12 to 18 inch tall trees, this all done
with the use of a table.
No back strain.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom