The Larch Field

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry, not sure how I neglected to update the profile. I'm in NE Ohio, zone 6. From what I've read some growers do a short stratification to improve germination rates but it's not necessary. @Cadillactaste, not sure if you were referring to the seedlings I plan on growing but I'm not on Facebook. I wasn't planning on selling any but if they turn out nice I'll gladly send some to anyone who helps. I just like growing from seed as part of the whole bonsai journey. My kids think it's fun too.

Sorry,I wasn't more specific. That's sweet of you...but growing from seed is not in my realm of knowledge.
It was more directed toward the trees under snow. @twisted trees ... as I shake my head...as I remind myself I am getting closer to my limit...

EPM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@EPM a shout out a fellow Ohioan! You getting the snow that I am?
Cool, I see you're in NE Ohio as well! Yeah we are getting some snow. I'm just ready for it to be done. Usually I'm ok with the cold/snow but we had those 70 degree days and that was it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool, I see you're in NE Ohio as well! Yeah we are getting some snow. I'm just ready for it to be done. Usually I'm ok with the cold/snow but we had those 70 degree days and that was it.
Feeling the same way...especially with the ice that comes in with our snow as of late. 2 hour delay for our school district. One can't juat have snow any more.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
When did you take the cuttings? I want to take some too but it seems nobody really knows when to take them. (some say March, other say from softwood, others swear by winter cuttings...)

Yes, not many resouces to be found when typing larch, or mélèze, or larix + cutting(s) in a search engine: probably because it's not an easy way to propagate them.

I once read it could be done in atum from the year's growth. I tried a few Larix x eurolepis, Dunkel larch), none took.

I don't know about Belgium, but all my Larix are from Bauchery (https://bauchery.fr/) They sell 2-3, or 3-4 yr-old Larix decidua (1.39 € by ten), Larix x eurolepis (2.24 by ten) - the best one for my climate! , Larix kaempferi (not availmable this year :( ).

I don't know if they can ship abroad, but if they can't and you're interested, I can buy some for you and them to you if you're interested. In Europe, the price of shipping to neighbouring countries is very small.

Or, if you want me to ask them because you're not so familiar with the French language (Gotverdam!), I can ask them and let you know: I'm not only a maple maniac, but I'm also a Larch fan, so if I can pass the disease, I'd be happy to contaminate you! :D

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ... I'm not only a maple maniac, but I'm also a Larch fan, so if I can pass the disease, I'd be happy to contaminate you! :D
Hi Alain!
Larch fan-atic here, too!
But this is only a Platonic relationship I have with them... :(
My climate conditions are absolutely prohibitive!
I can only admire them from apart...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My climate conditions are absolutely prohibitive!

Yes, you're right, they're mountain trees that need a long period of dormancy, cool damp nights if the day is hot.

It's like me trying to grow a decent olive tree. Though with the climate change, more and more people have bought large olive trees that they put in their garden, I'll try to take a pic to show you, it was just unbelievable some 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, for the Larch, it's the other way round.

Even here, some species are migrating. Not "slowly" migrating, because for trees, it meant thousands of years, and now, it can be measured in decades. For instance, the Beech could rapidly disappear from our forests. Can you imagine the olive tree disappearing from where you live ? Here's a page in French, if you're interested, I think you can translate it online. It's not "Fake News", it's from the INRA - not politicians, facebookers, twitterists, allahuabarists or halleluyists, etc. they're scientists:

http://www.inra.fr/Grand-public/Rec...ue/Forets-et-rechauffement-climatique/(key)/0

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, not many resouces to be found when typing larch, or mélèze, or larix + cutting(s) in a search engine: probably because it's not an easy way to propagate them.

I once read it could be done in atum from the year's growth. I tried a few Larix x eurolepis, Dunkel larch), none took.

I don't know about Belgium, but all my Larix are from Bauchery (https://bauchery.fr/) They sell 2-3, or 3-4 yr-old Larix decidua (1.39 € by ten), Larix x eurolepis (2.24 by ten) - the best one for my climate! , Larix kaempferi (not availmable this year :( ).

I don't know if they can ship abroad, but if they can't and you're interested, I can buy some for you and them to you if you're interested. In Europe, the price of shipping to neighbouring countries is very small.

Or, if you want me to ask them because you're not so familiar with the French language (Gotverdam!), I can ask them and let you know: I'm not only a maple maniac, but I'm also a Larch fan, so if I can pass the disease, I'd be happy to contaminate you! :D
Hey Alain, that's a really cool offer. I might take you up on it. But maybe next year because this year I have way too much seedlings to take care off already. My French isn't that bad but I'm guessing yours is better, merde! ;)

Btw, I bought an overpriced larix a month ago. So I've got one to play with.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Alain, that's a really cool offer. I might take you up on it. But maybe next year because this year I have way too much seedlings to take care off already. My French isn't that bad but I'm guessing yours is better, merde! ;)

Btw, I bought an overpriced larix a month ago. So I've got one to play with.

Woha there son, that's a Welsh larch you got there. Pedigree. :p

Chris's prices from what I've seen are sound.. dunno if he hiked for the show or not.

Pic and price, let's have peep :)

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Woha there son, that's a Welsh larch you got there. Pedigree. :p

Chris's prices from what I've seen are sound.. dunno if he hiked for the show or not.

Pic and price, let's have peep :)
Here it is before and after the repot. ;)
€25
It's been pruned a bit and the foliage is going strong now

P1040791.JPGP1040833.JPG

Top Bottom