The learner Pomegranate for the northeast

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey ya'll, I went to a not so local nursery to see if they have any sales going on but oddly enough they did not lol. Didn't want to go home empty handed I purchased a dwarf pom at a steal. They stole a whole 40 bux right from my pocket! And I let them :confused:.

This is to see how/if I can keep Poms healthy in my zone. A bit pricey for a test but everything in northeast are pricey. I TOTALLY FORGOTTEN they where deciduous and need a dormant period. I WAS about to keep it next to the Calamondin over winter but when I got home and read @bonhe post on his Pom, I was like WTF!?

Now I have to keep it cold (able to freeze?), without being too cold. Maybe a spot between the basement and back yard?

Here it is right after purchase with fruits and all :)
Pom1.jpg

Them fruits are just too cute! I got suckered lol. Hardiness 7-11, one zone out.
Pom2.jpg Pom3.jpg

And what do you know, someone got the memo haha. They got a bonsai area (way overpriced) and they're all potted in DE lol. This is a little Natal Plum @76 a pop. Yes I dug under there with a finger and it's all DE, not just a top dressing. The trees are wired to the pot too!
20180930_180258.jpg

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the tips BN13. I think I'll move them to a cold room for the winter. Cold enough to freeze water for a couple hours overnight some nights. It definately can't stay outside as the harsh freezing/drying wind will kill it.

How you winter yours, and can I try cuttings now leading to winter?

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine are all seedlings but I'm gonna move em inside under a grow light or by a sunny window. I took some cuttings from mine about a month ago that have already rooted and leafed out but I also root pruned some of my larger plants about 2 weeks ago that haven't leafed out yet. If you do take cuttings now I'd keep the cuttings some place warm and use moist but we'll draining soil. Other than some seeds I started last November this will be my first winter with mine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've kept a couple of little dwarf poms inside under lights, the last 2 winters. They get leggy but do OK. The Natal Plum will be fine indoors also.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your response @Carol 83 . When you have your Poms indoors under lights, do they drop all their leaves?

The weather here has been very mild lately and looks like there's still some growing season left.

Edit: reading comprehension lol. "they get leggy but do OK"

Top Bottom