The "least appreciated species for bonsai" thread

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd like to start a thread to specifically suggest species that people simply may not be aware of... which may make excellent bonsai. So try to avoid suggesting common species... and suggest something that you work with that you think doesn't get enough attention.

I'm going to start with Q. lobata, aka "valley oak" or "California white oak". A white oak with surprisingly small leaves, it is endemic to California, and is the largest oak in North America. I have 13... and they are incredibly strong growers, even putting on girth in pond baskets. USDA zones 5-10, and I'll just say that all my trees in NC are loving it. If you plant in landscape, be ready... it will grow 4' a year, and a 20' white oak in 5 years is to be expected.

valley oak.jpg

oak.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'd like to start a thread to specifically suggest species that people simply may not be aware of... which may make excellent bonsai. So try to avoid suggesting common species... and suggest something that you work with that you think doesn't get enough attention.

I'm going to start with Q. lobata, aka "valley oak" or "California white oak". A white oak with surprisingly small leaves, it is endemic to California, and is the largest oak in North America. I have 13... and they are incredibly strong growers, even putting on girth in pond baskets. USDA zones 5-10, and I'll just say that all my trees in NC are loving it. If you plant in landscape, be ready... it will grow 4' a year, and a 20' white oak in 5 years is to be expected.

View attachment 366945

View attachment 366946
Holey Moley!
What compact, defined foliage!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 366945

View attachment 366946
Yes! I’ve got two that I’m really excited about. I repotted both recently to work on the roots. I’ll post some pics here later.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 366945

View attachment 366946
Mighty fine!.....wish I could find them. Not sure if the trees would make it through the winter I have though. Would be fun to try. Colorado has a similar tree...maybe it’s the same.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Bonsai Nut my father in law has hundreds of valley oak seedlings on his property. They live in Amador county. I have about 40-50 in various stages of ground growing and development. This year I am seeing if ground layers are a viable way to loose the super vigorous taproot/ original roots.

I have some that I cut layers in the traditional way, and some i am seeing if a washer (tourniquet) will work. Amazing vigor, back budding and ramification with Q. Lobata.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Russian Olive (Elaeagnus angustifolia). I dug this one six months ago an now it’s pushing buds all over the trunk. It wouldn’t surprise me if these could be stump cut, like a true olive.
View attachment 366964
I meant to say that these have a somewhat weeping growth habit, silvery green leaves, fragrant flowers, and berries that range from light tan to a beautiful bronze, depending on the cultivar. They are invasive in our riparian woodlands (which is where I got this one).

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 366945

View attachment 366946
Cool! I've never seen one outside California!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we can say that oak as a group are underused in American bonsai. In New Mexico alone there are 3 different species that could make wonderful examples. Shrub oak, scrub oak and grey oak. I’ve got a ton of shrub oak on some property I bought recently and can’t wait to collect.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too tempting. As an AZ native I vote for the elegant but temperamental saguaro. First chance at any ramification is after its 50th birthday, when your first branch may show. Very, very hard to reduce. Wiring is extremely painful. But, long-lived and drought tolerant and amazing opportunity to incorporate deadwood using the full skeletal structure inside each branch.

a6add42a15faeb39a22805acf34f9a18.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Eucalyptus without a doubt. Given how common and widespread they are globally they are almost the definition of least appreciated. With around 900 different species to pick from some are better than others but many respond well. They are fast growers and adapt to almost all climates apart from the coldest of colds.

They are trees with their own natural form distinct from others, readily available and fun to work with. No need to waste time with the difficult Rainbows when there are so many better suited sp. to work with.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 366945

View attachment 366946
9942F934-0C2A-4A93-A583-98DE0EB1D514.jpeg4BE1417A-6CAD-4789-AD8F-5363BA41DD93.jpegC60FED04-7BA0-45FE-B90E-43C1F81DE7DD.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I found some Quercus lobata seedlings. I had no idea they could be grown here. Are there any other small leaved CA or other Western oaks that will do well in zone 6?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think under appreciated Species's include everything directly under our feet that gets left out in favor of anything almost "Japanese".

Sad thing is this is American Advertising to ignorant Americans and any other sad souls caught in the BS.

The kind Japanese man would say, "why do you foolishly try to grow shit you can't grow, to be like us, when in order to be like us and have successful artistic bonsai endeavors, you should use what you can collect, moron-san?"

The three hoops we jump through to make these things half way decent can be removed for no hoops and excellence if we wised up.

It's not the under appreciation, it's the false appreciation of "chinensis" and all that other BS in the seed packets.

Sorce

Top Bottom