The Legend of DebbieZula.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty ladies do not 'anger' the gods. They actually 'excite' the gods, especially the Gods of fire! Take care in what you do! If things go bad and get ruined... it 'could be' because the kiln is simply demanding a 'SACRIFICIAL MAIDEN!" 😮

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce Clay Body

So long Punk Ass Commercial Clay!

This recipe called for 20% red earthenware clay, so I used my local Red River Clay. Called for 10% red brick grog, substituted fine silica sand.

It's a great rusty color, with little partly melted globules of rock from the river clay.
20200710_091923.jpg20200710_091852.jpg20200710_091902.jpg

If I can move to glaze free, form and clay only, I'll be happy AF! One step closer.

Sorce

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorce, we are on the same journey together. I appreciate seeing someone else work on clay bodies.

I have spent the last 2 years formulating clays and have developed a range of counterfeit japanese and chinese clays.

I will make a detailed post with pots in a couple weeks. We should trade pots at some point.

IMG_1135.jpg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So long Punk Ass Commercial Clay!

This recipe called for 20% red earthenware clay, so I used my local Red River Clay. Called for 10% red brick grog, substituted fine silica sand.

It's a great rusty color, with little partly melted globules of rock from the river clay.
View attachment 315028View attachment 315029View attachment 315030

If I can move to glaze free, form and clay only, I'll be happy AF! One step closer.

Sorce

Local river clay.

Aka Gacy victim sludge.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will make a detailed post with pots in a couple weeks. We should trade pots at some point.

I look forward to both!

These left 2 have added roof shingle bits from the downspout. The right is a bastard mix of reclaim with the red river clay.
20200707_112918.jpg

Rough clay and sexy forms has me going lately.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's raining.

They said it wouldn't.

Intuition over technology.

Tomorrow.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They lay next to the tarped kiln, inside the tarped enclosure, before I threw this iron thing out there, today....

20200724_135342.jpg
20200724_135329.jpg

20200724_135325.jpg

Opportunistic. The c is for chicken.

Found this reaching up the womb to pull out a low cool piece. It's currently in the freezer from about 250F to see if it cracks.

6th firing this.

The 5th, I shouldn't have toyed with the kiln Gods, very few good product....

However, this was a good come 6 to 8 bottom to top, with appropriately mixed clays and few glazes, so this may be the first 100% good Firing.

Gotta run a few more tests.

Took this to 1800F+ in full oxidation to allow for carbon burnout. Then got good reduction.

The color of this first peice in the freezer looks good, so I'm crazy excited.

Couple few peices of my own clay in here too, no bonsai pots, but more things to test before they are officially frost-proof.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Getting her dialed in. 10th firing. Hitting Cone 6/7 on the bottom, then 2 shelves of 8, then nine, and 10 on top. Finally have a clay for each location and can repeat the firings. So it may be time to stop effing around! Decided to eff around and stoke this one with fattie "joints" of brown thuja leaves, which are jammed in the bottom peephole. This sooty reduction colors things way better than just the propane.

Sorcelain with the wicked crystal!
_DSC0390.JPG

Random Glaze test success Check.
_DSC0397.JPG

Rock inclusion to Cone 10. Love the way they melt out and add color. Dope texture too. Unfortunately, this didn't test well, so it will be left out for winter for the real test!
_DSC0404.JPG

This is a light application of Soribe over a sand and porcelain slip on a clay body I made. Also didn't test out, may be too hot, or just too dirty. Love the melt outs though.
_DSC0412.JPG

Crystal Blue Persuasion. This was a test blend of Porcelain and my Clay. It gassed out crazy too, which is also dope where the rocks melt into the glaze, but "I get to keep it" too.
_DSC0416.JPG

Blurple on a darker clay. This seems the same glaze as the one I sent @Carol 83 . Unfortunately, I don't know what the hell it is! But I'm narrowing it down!
_DSC0422.JPG

An unglazed Cone 8 Blend. What do you think of the color? This blend can go long and stay flat! Largetangle material! Wicked dope rock melts, don't know how they got in the clay!
_DSC0423.JPG

@Johnathan this is as close to what I imagined you may like as I've come. Whatdya think? I... am in love!
_DSC0424.JPG

More sand slip, Loclayglaze, and some other testsish. This one UNwarped in the fire!
_DSC0427.JPG

This contrast sets me off! The clay is a blend of a Cone 6 body I'm making, and unfortunately, the cone10 one that is too dirty, so its a "keeper". But Damn!. That's Blue!
_DSC0433.JPG

Sorce

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
@Johnathan this is as close to what I imagined you may like as I've come. Whatdya think? I... am in love!
View attachment 340916

This is very very nice and I love it in a different way. It reminds me of the Saints. And that's the home team. Very nice. This has that classic, timeless, gentleman feel to me. Send me details lol

But what I'm imagining is BRIGHT! Crayola. Neon. If you smell what I'm stepping in

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
reminds me of the Saints
Ha! Forgot you were from down there! I been watching Theo Von like he's going out of style. Are you with this dude? One of the most sincere humans on Earth. First person to ever make me take my phone in the shower just to finish listening to a podcast. Gang gang!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost a full year and me and this girl finally go on dates where we both end up pleased in the end. I gotta wake her up early and leave the probe in for 20 hours.

20210413_054135.jpg

30+ babies a week soon!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She got an upgrade!

Now I can see my reduction flame as I wood stoke the peephole! No more up and down up and down! Chillin'. Fire... fire.

20210430_181712_HDR.jpg

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't realize you were using wood. Do you notice a difference with/without wood and how much wood are we talking about?

I stoke the baby one heavy and definitely see good "flame paths", I didn't want to shorten the life of this one with wood....but....I kinda can't help myself!

I toss some in around 1200 to act like I'm getting body reduction, then after 1900 for a good hour to 3, but leaving time for ash to melt in the bowl and not leave much to scrape. I'd call it a good bushel of twigs, chicken turds, etc etc etc!

This was the last firing.
20210501_104838.jpg

Last night, I kept stoking it for like 30minutes after I shut it off, down through like 1850F, trying to trap some carbon.

Clean Reduction.
20210430_234624.jpg

Dirty Pine Reduction.
20210430_234709.jpg

Sorce

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Very cool. I am surprised the ash is not melted more because its mostly fluxes. What is your peak temp?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool. I am surprised the ash is not melted more because its mostly fluxes. What is your peak temp?

The probe is in the bottom 1/3rd and this thing is in a relatively cool area just an in inch above the floor, though I've never put a cone there, it hits around cone 6.

Peak temp has read between 2140F and 2287F, I haven't been recording them anymore but I think it's gotten into 23's.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool.

This was from that "dirty pine reduction" fire. One of a couple I put under the bottom shelf, directly between the wood and the flue, so it took some good color.

_DSC0422.JPG_DSC0423.JPG_DSC0427.JPG

Sorce

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice subtle color gradation, awesome.

Have you played around with flashing slips? You could boost the ash effects further. I could see spraying on a thin coat of a slip material or something.

Top Bottom