The LIFE of a BUD: A Question

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Buds swell ……. then they either open up to become leaves & blossoms … or they dry, wither, and die. But what about buds that do neither? What happens to buds that swell and remain that way the rest of the year? Can they stay alive but dormant all next winter to become leaves and blossoms the following year?
thinking.gif

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dead/Dormant buds are normally a sign of serious problems where I live.

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Roll that s....

Oops wrong thread.

I think it depends on the species.

If buds die on a ficus, they'll come back if you leave the leaf.
Elm too.

Pines? Reckon dead forever! Or at least years till a new bud.

Far as healthy dormant, sounds ok.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This here.

Kind of more a nub than a bud.
Like it could be a root or a bud.
IMG_20151118_113747.jpg

Showed up in June. Ain't done nothing yet.
If I chop this next year, or even prune a little, I expect it to grow.

Seems like it thought it might need it, then shut it down when the top got going.

I root pruned this one pretty hard in spring. Reckon it may have grown, if I didn't.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/ancient-elm.18331/

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Buds swell ……. then they either open up to become leaves & blossoms … or they dry, wither, and die. But what about buds that do neither? What happens to buds that swell and remain that way the rest of the year? Can they stay alive but dormant all next winter to become leaves and blossoms the following year?
thinking.gif
The answer to your question is "yes". Buds can mature but not open, yet remain viable the following year. I've heard of this happening with several collected pines, and I'm sure it can happen with other species.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
This here.

Kind of more a nub than a bud.
Like it could be a root or a bud.
View attachment 86952

Showed up in June. Ain't done nothing yet.
If I chop this next year, or even prune a little, I expect it to grow.

Seems like it thought it might need it, then shut it down when the top got going.

I root pruned this one pretty hard in spring. Reckon it may have grown, if I didn't.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/ancient-elm.18331/

Sorce

It's an elm, is it? My guess is it's a simple tumour, normal on some mature trees. Anyway, I don't suppose you really want a branch just there. Or do you?

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
The answer to your question is "yes". Buds can mature but not open, yet remain viable the following year. I've heard of this happening with several collected pines, and I'm sure it can happen with other species.

Thank you. I've been waiting to get a definitive answer to that question for a long, long time. It must be a guarded secret and only a few people know the answer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's an elm, is it? My guess is it's a simple tumour, normal on some mature trees. Anyway, I don't suppose you really want a branch just there. Or do you?

Just to fatten that waist!

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Just to fatten that waist!

Sorce

Ha-ha! The problem is that tumours don't do anything for the girth of a trunk - it just increases in size and hangs there like a belt pouch, even giving the illusion of an inverse taper:

1276666365639_us-myalibaba-web6_2391.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha-ha! The problem is that tumours don't do anything for the girth of a trunk - it just increases in size and hangs there like a belt pouch, even giving the illusion of an inverse taper:

1276666365639_us-myalibaba-web6_2391.jpg

This thing does have a funky ass growth habit. Round bulging in the core.

I was thinking it may be a disease.
But it keeps growing so......

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
This thing does have a funky ass growth habit. Round bulging in the core.

I was thinking it may be a disease.
But it keeps growing so......

Sorce

I think you were right when you called it a "nub". I have a ficus microcarpa that throws off aerial roots but sometimes they begin without developing more than a “nub”. Worst case scenario would be a hypoxylon canker which can be fatal, but I really don't think you've got one of those.

Top Bottom