The Literati/Bunjin Thread

Hartinez

Chumono
Messages
840
Reaction score
1,678
Location
Albuquerque, NM
USDA Zone
7
@MACH5 started a maple literati thread and many of us, myself included, didn’t notice that it was a maple only thread! Thought I’d start a Literati thread for all tree types.

Once again, let’s keep it similar to “the tree thread” or “ the shohin tree thread”. IF YOU COMMENT YOU'VE GOT TO POST A PIC.

My first real attempt at a literati. Robusta Juniper. Needs time to recover and foliage needs some more length so I can detail wire a bit more. 253156

Now if I can get some legit members to post some of their bad ass trees!!
 

Hartinez

Chumono
Messages
840
Reaction score
1,678
Location
Albuquerque, NM
USDA Zone
7
Good thread idea.
Closest on my bench to a literati is this Tosho, collected and imported from Japan.
View attachment 253166
Mission Accomplished! 🙌🏻 Thanks Brian.

Englemann spruce. Collected last year and healthy as a horse. It’ll receive its first treatment next spring. The trick will be removing just enough foliage to strike the right balance. It’s tall. Like 40” tall.
The surface root on this tree is so cool. 253167g
253168253169
 

PiñonJ

Chumono
Messages
947
Reaction score
1,899
Location
New Mexico, zone 6b
USDA Zone
6b
Mission Accomplished! 🙌🏻 Thanks Brian.

Englemann spruce. Collected last year and healthy as a horse. It’ll receive its first treatment next spring. The trick will be removing just enough foliage to strike the right balance. It’s tall. Like 40” tall.
The surface root on this tree is so cool. View attachment 253167g
View attachment 253168View attachment 253169
It's a nice feminine trunk, but your sketch is not a bunjin - too much foliage.
Here's a black pine penjing at the National Arboretum:
IMG_5608.JPG
 

MACH5

Masterpiece
Messages
4,584
Reaction score
16,319
Location
Northern New Jersey
I have to inquire about that pot....it looks cool, obviously unstable....plans?
Mike it's a Tofukuji pot. There have been some good suggestions posted here:

 
Messages
194
Reaction score
656
Location
Ventura, CA
USDA Zone
9B
Collected Mountain Hemlock. Pic this past spring. It’s having a really good year. Planning first style this fall.View attachment 253506
Looks like a fun project!

A tree I acquired last year. It was overwatered in a pot with semi heavy organics.

A month or 2 later(late august I think) I had slipped it into a new pot and cleaned up the black roots that were rotting away at the bottom of its original pot.
It's old pot has one of those raised drainage holes with a ring of water that pools up at the bottom.

Earliest repot noted was from 1996. Unsure how old it is.

As acquired last year:
253513

Here it is today. I'm unsure of the pot maker. In the fall I'd like to reveal the harsh bend of the trunk a bit more and try to lower the bottom branch to soften it up.
253516
 

wireme

Masterpiece
Messages
3,555
Reaction score
7,598
Location
Kootenays, British Columbia
USDA Zone
3
Glad it works for you. Did you use the others?

Not yet, no. I look forward to using them but most of my repot time this year was put towards some of the larger trees. Nothing came down the line that was a good fit just yet. That common juniper we collected together is about the right size for the one pot.. We’ll see.

For the thread, old before and after pics of the first bit of work to a dougie that I guess may become literati’ish one day. (Been a bit busy to go take new pics)Hasn’t been worked since but was repotted this spring, still in plastic but smaller plastic and more or less correct angle now.C07DB5EF-6D5C-48D5-9975-C535B3BF8663.jpegE3B99CA0-260B-4954-AF44-1707C23C5F56.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Messages
110
Reaction score
112
Location
Jacksonville, Florida
USDA Zone
9
I came across what I believe to be two azaleas in a scrap pile about a year and a half ago. This is the before pic. DSCN6915.jpg Recently I decided to separate the tallest trunk from the others precisely for a literati. But when I started to cut, the closest trunk broke off from the roots. So I just removed the other short trunk leaving the root system intact. I then removed a lower branch and some foliage. I wired the top but since azaleas are not the most bendable I quickly broke a branch. So I made it a jin. The thinner branches were more easily bent. So the current result looks like this DSCN6951.jpg. DSCN6937.jpgDSCN6940.jpg. It's 25 inches tall. I'm leaving the lowest branch for now.
 

Similar threads


Top Bottom