The little big azalea

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is an azalea I have been trainign for about 4 years... It took a very bad hit last year. My hose nozzle was on jet and not shower.. The stream blew the entire back (about 35%) of the tree right off. Also, the tree fell about 8 feet off the ledge onto the cement and the pot shattered.

The tree was immediatly put into a large, for it's size, grow pot and left alone for almost a year. Here is the tree now. It has started to replace the lost back and in some ways, the tree actually looks better. It was put in a new pot that is almost identical to the old one. The tree is about 4 inches tall with about a 2 1/2 inch base.

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2 057.jpg
    pictures2 057.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 117
  • pictures2 060.jpg
    pictures2 060.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 92
  • pictures2 059.jpg
    pictures2 059.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 113

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Dave.. Thanks and great to hear from you... Ya, I went up for the first work shop of the season a couple of weeks ago and thought.. man no Dave this year...I will say that out of all the material brought to the workshops over the years. I probably looked forward to seeing your projects the most.

Ya, this tree took a big hit and suffered quite a bit of damage, you would never know it though. Even the entire back that broke off is starting to look good again.

Also, I would really like to see your shohin azaleas.

Rob

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rob I like it! You've been posting a lot of quality stuff lately...thanks for sharing.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, I have been working for about a month now refining and reworking all my trees that I kind of let grow willd last season.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
For those interested in the 4-5 year progression of this tree.

Pic 1 is the tree with a few branches removed, root pruned and taken from a 1 gallon put into a bonsai pot.

Pic 2 is the tree 2 years later put into a smaller pot and a cut was made in the nebari in a workshop.

Pic 3. At this point, with a different pot and the nebari looking good, it was time for a rework. Pretty much the entire middle and upper tree were cut off leaving only a some main branches that eminated off the trunk. Also, rather than use a thick gauge wire it would have taken to bend these branches, I opted to just kind of guy wire them in place. This was also, so that the new, tender buds would not be compromised.

Pic 4 is the tree after it filled in

Pic 5 is the tree last year before the damage had occured. As you can see, the tree was kind of a broom style canopy with an informal upright trunk. With the elimination of the back and the tree sending up a new apex, the tree has some nice movement now. A slight tilt on the planting angle this year accentuated this movement as well.

Attachments

• DSCN0756.jpg
    DSCN0756.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2694.jpg
    IMG_2694.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 58
  • pictures2 027.jpg
    pictures2 027.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 63

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a really nice little tree rob!;)

eric

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. Falling off the ledge may have been the best thing that could have happened:eek:

Dave

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello HotAction.....lol.. I thought the exact same thing..Amazing how the breaking off of about 1/3 of the back opened it up to show some nice movement to the left.. That and the fact that the tree is sending up a new leader in the exact right place on it's own is pretty amazing...Trees are truly one of natures greatest creations

Rob

Top Bottom