The Little Christmas Tree Contest (2020 - 2023)

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
🎄Merry Early Christmas Everyone!🎄

Welcome to the most practical, ironic contest of the holiday season. "The Little Christmas Tree Contest."
Because of Christmas coming up, you will see plenty of mini Christmas trees still sucking up nutrients in their jolly little pots all along the sidewalks of Lowes, Home Depot, and practically any hardware store including Walmart. I know many of you, including myself, have at least stopped once to check out one or two of these trees. This is a contest you will have fun participating in. If you are able, I suggest entering multiple because things happen.

Although Christmas themed, the contest will officially start on New Years Day of 2020 in order to give everyone a fair amount of time.

Official Rules of "The Little Christmas Tree Contest" -

Enter your name into this thread by January 1st, 2020 in order to enter

Contest ends on January 1st, 2023

Start your own thread named "__(Blanks)__ Little Christmas Tree Entry" where you will post an original photo of the tree's you will be working on throughout the next three years, including pictures and updates on what you have been doing with your entries over the course of the next three years

Use untouched trees starting off

Must resemble a Christmas tree when purchased: Any type of Conifer, Rosemary tree, etc

No Deciduous entries

At the end of the contest, you will choose the favorite one of your trees you have been working on (Must have entered each one on your thread by January 1st, 2020)

Good Luck Everyone! If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Why am I just finding this!!!!! Oh yes wasn't here last year :-(

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Why am I just finding this!!!!! Oh yes wasn't here last year :-(
Oh yeah! My tree is dead, but ‘‘twas a hoot!
I think we could/should do it again! Maybe a 2 year contest this time around?!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Two years is marginally too short to make a tree worth looking at, much less contest-worthy, even with a ton of decorations hiding faults.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Dwarf Albert from last month's thin and wire job. It's been putting on new growth since then.IMG_20201025_141116514_TOP.jpgIMG_20200101_122201574.jpg
My Blvd Cypress and Norway Spruce
IMG_20191231_124859062.jpg
IMG_20201024_153544180.jpg
The twisted Norway of neglect has no current pic but it's alive.
IMG_20200727_130119105.jpg

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My Dwarf Albert from last month's thin and wire job. It's been putting on new growth since then.View attachment 339753View attachment 339752
My Blvd Cypress and Norway Spruce
View attachment 339754
View attachment 339755
The twisted Norway of neglect has no current pic but it's alive.
View attachment 339756
How late can you prune a spruce ? I would love to get in on this but I would have to do work on material asap. I was worried about much a spruce would bleed this time of year.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never mind. The forum won’t let me delete a mistaken message, only edit it, so now you’re reading this.

Last edited:

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
20201213_120055.jpgmerry Christmas! It's the 3rd Christmas for this one. Not a contest entry but the lesson I learned from this guy is not to root prune right away. Growth has been slow. I have 3 others going that were not root pruned and they have buds everywhere.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
View attachment 344238merry Christmas! It's the 3rd Christmas for this one. Not a contest entry but the lesson I learned from this guy is not to root prune right away. Growth has been slow. I have 3 others going that were not root pruned and they have buds everywhere.
I like that unusual base!

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
2021 edition in the making?
This is one of the 5 I started January 2020. My Norfolk pine "forest" died when I fried it with grow lights 😞. I did a successful air layer on my cryptomeria, so it's 2 trees now but haven't done much else with it/them. The others are tough material. They're alive, but not pretty. This one is the typical mini Xmas tree "Dwarf Alberta". One of my favorite trees in my collection right now. I was able to add some age to it very quickly. Hopefully this year I can get some good pad development

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where aree contestant updates!!
Here is mine. Going to decorate the Alberta soon and will post a pic.

Top Bottom