The Little Hino that Could :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
On June 20th I received a lovingly delivered Hino - They were a bit tough on it to say the least, This is the pot it was in upon arrival -

IMG_2128.JPG

After finding an always available trainer for these situations I repotted it, trimmed it as it was the right time here. It was far more full, regardless of the journey it has an impressive 1 inch trunk line AND surface roots reaching out up to 3 1/2 inches. I covered them at my improperly placement in the pot just wanting survival - here it is after -

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

Now I must explain 3 larger branches were broken, hanging by a small amount of bark, so I called in my old friend and proceed to do very precise repairs -

IMG_2131.JPG

Today, one month later the branches have healed and it is filling out nicely. Also had an unexpected guest today on a formerly broken branch -

IMG_2130.JPG

Just wanted to share that although odds may be difficult when you are the dealer you can win :) What say you @Mellow Mullet :p

Grimmy

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The UPS guy that delivers to our salon literally kicks the boxes out of the back of the truck into the gutter. Sometimes into slushy snow and rain, then jumps down and roughly stacks them onto a handcart to be delivered upside down and mutilated. But I think even he would have a hard time breaking a bonsai pot into that many pieces, well done

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
On June 20th I received a lovingly delivered Hino - They were a bit tough on it to say the least, This is the pot it was in upon arrival -

View attachment 201941

After finding an always available trainer for these situations I repotted it, trimmed it as it was the right time here. It was far more full, regardless of the journey it has an impressive 1 inch trunk line AND surface roots reaching out up to 3 1/2 inches. I covered them at my improperly placement in the pot just wanting survival - here it is after -

View attachment 201942

View attachment 201943

Now I must explain 3 larger branches were broken, hanging by a small amount of bark, so I called in my old friend and proceed to do very precise repairs -

View attachment 201944

Today, one month later the branches have healed and it is filling out nicely. Also had an unexpected guest today on a formerly broken branch -

View attachment 201945

Just wanted to share that although odds may be difficult when you are the dealer you can win :) What say you @Mellow Mullet :p

Grimmy

Wow! When you said the broke the pot, they really broke the pot!

I hate that it had to go through so much but it is in really good hands. I think it likes its new home, seems to be smiling with the flower! I am really glad that you like it!

I wish I had gotten more of that size from the nursery (I no longer have access to it), there were hundreds of these! Sadly, I only got three.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow! When you said the broke the pot, they really broke the pot!

I hate that it had to go through so much but it is in really good hands. I think it likes its new home, seems to be smiling with the flower! I am really glad that you like it!

Yeah it was a get a beer WTF moment :p I am certain after a lot of cuts and repairs it is coming back strong as expected. The whole cutback routine works best here in mid June so it had perfect timing going for it :) Like it is an understatement, pretty damn certain you know what that root mass looks like at the surface, this one is going to be treated well for certain :)

I am going to talk to the owner of the local farm supply here where I finally was able to get the Gumpo. I know all the Azaleas there won't move and he still has those two crimson I mentioned, might be able to get a deal on them if he does not simply send unsold back to the vendor. I did some research and tracked them down to this dealer PCF AVAILABILITY Prides Corner Farms Lebanon, CT 06249 CALL OR FAX AN ORDER TODAY1-800-437-5168(FAX) 1-860-642-4155

He is charging 3 times what the vendor is :rolleyes: right now, lol ... Anyways they are shrubs so Early next year would be best for transition. I might contact them in the Spring as well as they "might" accept my NY Business certificate...

Grand mother took ill here a few weeks back, hospital, rehab, then refused physical therapy, said she wants to die at home so they sent her off yesterday. Life has been really crazy so my little plants give me a moment to breath. Thank you :)

Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom