The Lone Cherry (Barbados, that is!)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just noticed one little cherry has escaped from the squirrels!

Nice! Squirrel got my first Dwarf pomegranate this past weekend, chopped it and left it - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... There is 3 - 4 more one the plant so a spray of liquid fence should(usually does) work around the plant.
Here the Robins get most every Cherry. The Squirrels however really enjoy Crabapple the most :mad:
Cool plant though, fond of weeping and contorted plants in general here :)
Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
chopped it and left it -
They do that to my lemons too! Just knock them off and leave them. But for some reason they never bother the orange tree. We have a cherry, plum, pear, and crab apple in the yard they are welcome to, but they feel a need to come up on the patio for the lemons :mad:. Sounds like I'm going shopping for some liquid fence! Thanks, I like the weeping ones also.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds like I'm going shopping for some liquid fence!

It is made for Deer and Rabbit BUT Squirrels here hate it too. It smells horrible when mixing it but the concentrate is a FAR better deal. After application it takes about an hour here to subside but lasts at least several weeks - kind of strange but as most animals have far more sensitive snouts understandable :)

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I threw a volleyball at a squirrel in my yard spruce yesterday to shut my dog up.

Since I found the dead one in my yard I still haven't had any around my trees.

Nice shiny cherry!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Carol,
The Malaysians have figured out a way to get them
dense like a real Barbados cherry.You may wish to
Google.

I think you have a Weeping Cherry, used to be Malpighia
Punicifolia, now has another name.
Not sure if the fruit is edible.

Not easy to maintain. At least down here.
Thanks for showing, a beauty.
Good Day
Anthony.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol,
The Malaysians have figured out a way to get them
dense like a real Barbados cherry.You may wish to
Google.

I think you have a Weeping Cherry, used to be Malpighia
Punicifolia, now has another name.
Not sure if the fruit is edible.

Not easy to maintain. At least down here.
Thanks for showing, a beauty.
Good Day
Anthony.
Thanks Anthony. I agree that it does look like the other Weeping Cherry, even though it was sold as a Dwarf Barbados Cherry. I have a few of the them, and have had good luck with clipping them back to a few leaves per branch, to induce new, bushier growth. I have only had this one a short time, so plan on doing the same with this one.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
mmmmmmmm cherries

I'm a firm believer in using edible trees for bonsai. Either fruit, nuts, leaves, or shoots. So did you ever taste your Barbados cherry? Even if it is not the ''culinary'' Malpighia, it won't kill you, the non-edible ones are simply not tasty, perhaps a bit bitter. Give it a try, you won't know until you do.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
mmmmmmmm cherries

I'm a firm believer in using edible trees for bonsai. Either fruit, nuts, leaves, or shoots. So did you ever taste your Barbados cherry? Even if it is not the ''culinary'' Malpighia, it won't kill you, the non-edible ones are simply not tasty, perhaps a bit bitter. Give it a try, you won't know until you do.
I haven't, but I will try it tonight, before the squirrels steal it.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
mmmmmmmm cherries

I have one and tried them, this was before I knew the difference. I was expecting a tasty treat, not so much. I was basically flavorless, it tasted more like uncooked yellow squash or zucchini. At least it did not kill me.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have one and tried them, this was before I knew the difference. I was expecting a tasty treat, not so much. I was basically flavorless, it tasted more like uncooked yellow squash or zucchini. At least it did not kill me.

Different cultivars can have better flavors, what you describe is what the books basically mean by the word insipid. Bland, with out flavor.

There are several species of Mapighia, maybe Carol got lucky, and got a tasty one.

I just planted seeds of a Eugenia species from Belize that the Mayans have been cultivating. Don't know which species it is, my niece brought seeds from the village she stayed in and thought it was really tasty. If they sprout, it will be a few years before I can report back. Hoping for something good.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Different cultivars can have better flavors, what you describe is what the books basically mean by the word insipid. Bland, with out flavor.

There are several species of Mapighia, maybe Carol got lucky, and got a tasty one.

I just planted seeds of a Eugenia species from Belize that the Mayans have been cultivating. Don't know which species it is, my niece brought seeds from the village she stayed in and thought it was really tasty. If they sprout, it will be a few years before I can report back. Hoping for something good.
Haven't tried it yet, not quite ripe. Amazing the size difference between the cherries on the regular versus the dwarf.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

Insipid, yeah, that is a good word for it!, lol

Top Bottom