The Masakuni Ichban multi purpose tool?

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
does anyone have experience with the Ichiban tool from Masakuni? I've always been a fan of their tools, at least back when they were more affordable. I'm interested in this one but want to know if what the word out on it was before sinking the $$ into one.

Attachments

• IMG_1356.PNG
    IMG_1356.PNG
    240.8 KB · Views: 40

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres going to be my tool purchase this year!

Convex cutters!Capture+_2018-01-08-10-15-14.png

Shohin dream tool! $15

Aint that the Net Bonsai Wanker tool!

Search that!

I have a couple things to sell you......
One in Brooklyn, one in SanFransisco, I had one in Minnesota but it went to shit in the wind.....:p

Sorce

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Demoed one when hey first came out can’t say I was impressed.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They gave them out to many famous bonsai artists when they first made them. I have seen Suthin use his. Boon has a pair, he doesn’t care for them, says they’re too thin and light.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Ay, ay, ay! I sure stepped into a kettle of fish! I did the search as suggested by Sorce...

I'd seen the tool on Stone Lantern and thought I'd ask. Just looking at it, I can see the pruning shears and wire cutting aspect, but the other functions like pliers and hammer (?) are not readily discernible. I did a YouTube search and the only Ichiban tool I found was a curling iron. Too bad they don't work on branches.

I'd think that an introductory video would be advantageous in selling it. There may be one, but I haven't found it yet.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ay, ay, ay! I sure stepped into a kettle of fish! I did the search as suggested by Sorce...

I'd seen the tool on Stone Lantern and thought I'd ask. Just looking at it, I can see the pruning shears and wire cutting aspect, but the other functions like pliers and hammer (?) are not readily discernible. I did a YouTube search and the only Ichiban tool I found was a curling iron. Too bad they don't work on branches.

I'd think that an introductory video would be advantageous in selling it. There may be one, but I haven't found it yet.

I've seen some of Marco's demo's over the web, and he does use it. But only on "finer" work. Doubt he shows up at a demo with just this tool.
You really want to use this thing for root pruning and such? Splitting some roots or concaving and shaping a cut on a trunk?

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've seen some of Marco's demo's over the web, and he does use it. But only on "finer" work. Doubt he shows up at a demo with just this tool.
You really want to use this thing for root pruning and such? Splitting some roots or concaving and shaping a cut on a trunk?
It does look a little "slender" for heavy work. I'm not short on tools, and there's still a couple of tools I'd put ahead of this one just from my own tool preferences. I was wondering if I was missing something.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
missing something.

The aggressive initial marketing, most likely. At that price point, you would have to be pretty well-heeled to consider purchasing. Than it becomes more novelty than practical.......I figure.
I'm sure it's quality, just it's scope seems limited for something so "multi-functional".

If anyone from Masakuni is reading, I'll take a free sample for testing and I swear I'll return it!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your plants don't care what brand of tool nor type you use or as Al @Smoke puts it "They don't give a shit". I find that if you use tools properly, clean them, oil them, and keep them as sharp as possible, even inexpensive carbons...

If I had a bigger place I would display very expensive tools perhaps in a work space dedicated to Bonsai. I have many, stored, not to be sold, as they were gifted to me.

I don't use them... I have dropped and ruined enough of the less expensive stuff and I assure you the more expensive would have been ruined too :oops:

My 2 cents, your money...

Grimmy

Top Bottom