The Miracle Grow Pinch - Seiju Elm

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
This is what I believe to be a seiju. Slow grower. Broke a clump part and the small one lived.
In southern ca I choose to use more organic material in my substrate so I don’t have to water so frequently.
One would assume with more organic material present there would be somewhat of a solid base of available nutrients to sustain the plant.
This seiju was creeping along. Kind of just meh of a growth rate.

I saw folks on here did not generally recommend a pinch of miracle grow for there trees without water mixing first. There are definitely some risks. On this tree, I used about an 8th of the surface area of a dime. Bam! The elm shoots out new 6” extensions.

I learned that the baseline of nutrients with more organic material is not enough. I need to fertilize more. Also, maybe I go crazy with the strong chem ferts and change out the potentially fried, burnt out soil regularly with pre-bonsai material. Who cares right? The tree is no where near finished. The goal early is get the tree big fast….worry about health of the tree later when/if the tree approaches finality.

My 2 pennies…..
5370C6BE-187C-4715-BBD5-199488ABE159.jpeg67F6F2C2-2CEF-47E6-9FE2-DFA4E9997780.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No sure it is a Seiju. I bought one with similar sized leaves a few years ago from Bill Valavanis at the shohin show in Charlotte. Then a couple of weeks ago I got a cork nark Seiju from Eric at Bonsaify and the leasves on it are miniscule compared to my smooth bark “Seiju”. Maybe there is a difference between these two types of Seiju but……. I’ll shoot a comparison photo on a few mins.

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK, photos of a smooth bark “Seiju” on the left and a cork bark on the right. Note the tiny leaves on the cork bark elm.

381DCFA7-66D8-462B-A274-E82FAA8F2FEC.jpeg13BA1C7B-1E57-405B-86D4-D7DEA375F6FE.jpeg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience seiju are very aggressive growers, and have much smaller leaves. I'm guessing Cofga is right.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
BTW, no scale. That is a 3” cup. Leaves are a pinky nail.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
So it doesnt have the millions of nodes up and down the stems like a cork bark. Very close ramification/branch structure with pinky nail size leaves.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's not a Seiju. Seju have leaves that are miniscule like at the biggest 1/4in.

Top Bottom