The Monarch

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is an OIriental Hornbeam, Carpinus orientlais, collected in Croatia ten years ago. It was styled in my Master Classes in Croatia since then. The tree is owned by Andrija Zokic who has not yet exhibited it anywhere, because it is 'not good enough'. Just imagine what this will look like in 30 years! More of such in my sociaTSA_5006w.jpgTSA_5007w.jpgTSA_5008w.jpgTSA_5009w.jpgTSA_5010w.jpgTSA_5011w.jpgTSA_5012w.jpgTSA_5013w.jpgTSA_5014w.jpgTSA_5015w.jpgl media.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Talented vision, and experience, to see the tree inside the first photo of a bush-tree. And....excellent execution in cutting back for a fabulous tree...full of unique character!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back breakingly beautiful, Mr, Pall !!!

And that is why our trees stop at 3 to 5 inch [ 8 to 13 cm ] trunks
Whoa, that is heavy.
Thanks for showing.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Incredible. It is hard not to be jealous of the deciduous trees coming out of Croatia. I wonder if there are some deciduous species in the United States that collectors are walking past that could have similar potential.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Talented vision, and experience, to see the tree inside the first photo of a bush-tree.
My guess would be that the tree in the first picture has been in training for a while. If I would have to guess, I would say this tree was 20+ feet tall on the day of original collection..

I wonder if there are some deciduous species in the United States that collectors are walking past that could have similar potential.
No doubt about it.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The first image and the final one are about two hours apart. Here is what a typical world class broadleaved bonsai looks like before it is collected. This is not the tree shown, but it must have looked just like that

Croatia is about the size of New Hampshire. Are you telling me that this small country has more great broadleaved trees than the rest of the world together? Or is it that the rest of the world has not yet learned how to find these trees which are there in great numbers.

2012-01-_MG_1849w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1850w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1851w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1852w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1853w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1854w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1855w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1856w.jpg2012-01-_MG_1858w.jpg2012-01-_MG_2221w.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Great photos, very inspiring experience.

Croatia is about the size of New Hampshire. Are you telling me that this small country has more great broadleaved trees than the rest of the world together? Or is it that the rest of the world has not yet learned how to find these trees which are there in great numbers.

The species that one can collect here and there are not the same. The climate, the geography and geology are not the same either.

For instance, no sheep where I live, in the UK, you can find trees like Crataegus that have been trimmed by generations of sheep and modelled by the wind.

In France, especially in the southern or central parts of France, there are some conifers and deciduous trees that can be collected... provided it's legal. Scot pines, Olive, etc.

I don't know what the legislation in Croatia is like, but here, it's very strict - and it's a good thing: in Japan, some junipers were so widely collected that the younger "yamadori" are hard to match those that were collected 50 years ago.

I live by the Loire veyy. Up north, miles of wheat, maize and colza fields. South of the Loire, it's still a plain, forests, but it's either private, mind the hunters and the forest guards. If you pick just a handfull of mushrooms, they'll throw it to the ground and step on them, or are in natural parks.

Yes, of course, great trees can be collected anywhere in the world.

But some might find your comments a bit contemptuous.

This was probably not your intention though.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When traveling in the USA twenty years ago they all told me how lucky we are in Europe for having all these wonderful mugo and Scots pines and all the other stuff. And that it was strictly forbidden in America and most is not useful anyway. I told them that they have the best conifer material in the world, they jaust have to go get it. I had seen the trees in Colorado right on the spot.They did not believe me and said that it would be illegal anyway. And now it is apparent that they do have the best conifer material in the world and that it is possible and it can be legal

All I am saying is that the same applies to broadleaved material.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find this discussion hilarious. Walter lives in Germany, a country so full of rules, where things are forbidden unless explicitly allowed. I would venture a guess that more of Germany is protected / forbidden to dig than USA. Yet, if you go to the authorities and explain why you would want to get a specific plant from a specific location, you often will get permission.

All you need to do is ask.
Sometimes you get a yes. Sometimes you get a yes.

Top Bottom