The New Hoop House

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a new addition to Pavement Ends, and a chance to have my trees do better during winter months. Thanks to John Kirby (Vonsgardens) for all his help. For more construction details, check it out at bonsaistudygroup.com.

P1012850a.jpg

P1012855a.jpg

P1012851a.jpg

Last edited:

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks great Chris. How cold does it get in your area of KS in the winter? How cold do you think it will get in your shelter the winter (Jan-Feb)?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should be at least 15 degrees warmer inside (with a front door on) than outside without any extra help. Our winters are quite variable. Two years ago we got heavy snow just after Thanksgiving and it stayed until March. Last year not so bad, and this year they are saying El Nino will give us a milder winter. I hope so!

During a bad winter we can end up in the teens (F) for long spells. But it's the high winds that are such a problem. we are sheltered on the south and east by trees, but the view to the west is a clear shot to Colorado. And boy, do the winds come through.

I'm also toying with the idea of putting a water butt inside to water with through the winter. With a stock tank heater, the water will always be about 40 degrees, warming the inside during the nights.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great - are you going to heat it ? Just how cold does it get there ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, Dave, not this year. If I ever add more tropicals, I will build a dedicated heated greenhouse. We can get down into single digits F. sometimes, and spend a good deal of time in the teens. It's the wind that's the biggest problem.

Chris

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is always nice to see personal experiences to help motivate you. Especially when it is "local". I may be in the SE corner of Kansas but can actually relate to someone about the weather for once. I am more inspired than ever to make one of these happen next year. Being able to show the wife what is involved might just help my efforts too.

15 degrees difference? Mild winter or not it sounds like you will be able to enjoy it much more now!

Top Bottom