The new new NEW guy (tiger bark ficus pre-bonsai)

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm so excited to find this forum! I was up late last night searching and skimming various post and there is a TON of information on here already. Thank you guys for that!

I purchased this tree a few days ago down in Fort Worth, Texas from an amazing grower and she had a 50 year old ficus bonsai and between her passion for the craft and the beauty of a tree I decided to go with the tiger bark variety. I went with the pre-bonsai because I want it to be 100% all mine, I know that's selfish lol

Now, I'm back in OKC, and have labeled the plant on each side because I'm not sure exactly which is going to be the front or anything.

Currently my only plans are to put it into a bigger pot ***not bonsai*** and just care and love on it for about a year. The goal is to thicken up the bark and just get a feel for the hobby as I'm new completely.

Since this is the only tree I have (going to max out at 2 for now, plan on getting a juniper or a pine in April) nights are still chilly and winter temps up and down here, I was looking through some post about lights and things and I plan on getting a couple daylight bulbs on cheap timers for the tree this upcoming weekend.

Mainly just looking for opinions amd thoughts on what you established guys and girls would do as far as nutrients and other tips. Thanks in advance. Pictures of the tree and my light fixture below!

Attachments

• 20170305_134353.jpg
    20170305_134353.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20170305_134410.jpg
    20170305_134410.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170305_134428.jpg
    20170305_134428.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20170305_134442.jpg
    20170305_134442.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20170305_134511.jpg
    20170305_134511.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20170305_134700.jpg
    20170305_134700.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 20170305_141303.jpg
    20170305_141303.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 161

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
Don't set yourself a max... You'll say one or two, then suddenly find yourself wandering around the woods with a folding saw and a spade, no idea how you got there or what day it is, or what you are even looking for. All you know is you have the overwhelming urge to dig stuff up, or tie rope around things that look nice but you have no idea why 'I'll get that sucker next year!'.

It's too late man, give in, embrace it, and make yourself a whole lot of space in the garden for many, many stumps and random plants in containers.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you add location to profile it will help with advice. All trees want to be outside as much as possible. Do you have outside space? I keep a few tropicals in a south window w.no lights in the winter. No problems. Above 45 degrees out doors. Grow local trees which stay out year around.
Lots of them... LOL

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
You guys are awesome! lol Should I just go with a cheap pot from the garden store for the first transfer? I've read width is better than depth to encourage "fattening" up of the trunk.

Do you think that light fixture would be fine with a couple of those CFL daylight bulbs in it pointed directly at the plant from a couple different angles on a 12 hour timer would be okay?

Should the timer be less than 12 hours since there would be other lights on in the house at various times?

and I keep showing the wife various plants, the hope is that she will fall in love with something so then we have a reason to get more than just 2 lol

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That light with cfls will be good...
But only for that one tree and as close to the foliage as you can get it...

Which Will probly mean a shelf or something creative.

You seem like a fun dude...

Did you label that pot 1234?

That's like labeling a circle 1234!

Stick!

Let it be in that pot for awhile.
Midsummer be a good repotting time.

You'll find something free to put it in by then!
Yes wider and a bit more shallow.

Some plastic drainage trays of larger pots work great after drilled for drainage.
And always free on Craigslist.

Just remember to take them all...
And not just 2!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Your tree will be happier when you own 100 trees. Because then you will leave it alone sometimes :)

If you have too few trees, you will have a tendency (being a normal human) to overwork them. You will mess with them on a daily basis. Now if you have 100 trees, and you only mess with them 1 in 100 days, they can deal with it. But if you are constantly touching, poking, bending, abusing, etc your trees on too regular of a basis they will resent it. You may find yourself killing trees because you pay them too much attention.

So go onto eBay and buy 20 shimpaku juniper starters. Then do the same for Chinese elm. Then try to style them so they all look different.

And you will appreciate your ficus even more!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Quick add... and by "shimpaku starters" I mean guys like this:

Shimpaku-Juniper-Evergreen-Great-for-bonsai-TEN-plants

100 trees would set you back $165 :) I took some of these and planted them in my yard to see what would happen, and then I took some of them and planted them in bonsai mix in pond baskets, just to compare (result - pond baskets by a MILE). They are great for learning. And in 20 years they could easily be worth $100 each if you keep them alive :)

PS though I have gotten the small ones before, I would recommend the larger ones in the 4" containers that cost about $5 each. They are two years older and you have more to work with. This is one of the 4" ones:

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
y "shimpaku starters"

Kevin at THG commented about those same bunches of whips.

How he was amazed at how they can be transformed...

I think the words were...
"Holy shit that's a tree!"

Sorce

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can you still find that size for $5? I wanted to get 10 but missed on the spot I knew of

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some plastic drainage trays of larger pots work great after drilled for drainage.
And always free on Craigslist.

QuickMemo+_2017-03-07-05-29-16.png

See?

Sorce

Top Bottom