The odd species for bonsai thread

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It partly depends what happens with Brexit!!

I don't think you'll have problems crossing the border in 2020, or in 2021, and the years after, whatever the results of the next general elections. I may be too optimistic, but I don't think so.

Perhaps there will be restrictions on importing/exporting plants, like there used to be about animals for the rabies, but in that case it would just be a measure of prophylaxy, which is already possible in the E.U.

For instance, I wouldn't import Ash from Britain because of the disease, but I'm certain that a government with a modicum of intelligence (French word, from Latin: intellegere=to understand) will gladly accept genetically different strains from other European nearby countries not affected with that plague.

And it might even create new jobs, or re-activate old activities like smuggling 😄

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't think you'll have problems crossing the border in 2020, or in 2021, and the years after, whatever the results of the next general elections. I may be too optimistic, but I don't think so.

Perhaps there will be restrictions on importing/exporting plants, like there used to be about animals for the rabies, but in that case it would just be a measure of prophylaxy, which is already possible in the E.U.

For instance, I wouldn't import Ash from Britain because of the disease, but I'm certain that a government with a modicum of intelligence (French word, from Latin: intellegere=to understand) will gladly accept genetically different strains from other European nearby countries not affected with that plague.

And it might even create new jobs, or re-activate old activities like smuggling 😄

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
We're not really worried about crossing the borders to Europe in a post-brexit world but simple things like car hire and driving licencing might become more complicated when we leave the EU for us Brits . I cant speak about the Belgian government but I no longer believe that many in our UK government havent shown even a slight a modicum of intelligence in recent times !! There are soon likely to be more restrictions on moving all plant material in Europe and not just because of Brexit!

Re your comment about not importing Ash from UK -Just to put the record straight on the disease Ash Dieback- Trees infected with this pathogen were reported dying in large numbers in Poland in 1992, and by the mid 1990s it was also found in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. By 2008 the disease was also discovered in Scandinavia, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. By 2012 it had spread to Belgium, France, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Romania, Russia, Britain and Ireland. Over 90% of Ash died in Denmark alone.So UK is not the only country you cant import them from!!! There currently is a lot of research and breeding going on in UK and Scandinavia to find disease-resistant Ash.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There currently is a lot of research and breeding going on in UK and Scandinavia to find disease-resistant Ash.

I didn't know about the extent of the disease: where I live, and on the Atlantic coast that I frequently visit, I haven't heard of the problem so far.

There are soon likely to be more restrictions on moving all plant material in Europe and not just because of Brexit!

.... And that's a good thing. There's also a disease that affects olive trees in Italy, and a few trees had to be eliminated in Corsica but so far the south of France doesn't seem to be affected. But having regulations that can apply to different areas to prevent the spreading of diseases and pests are essential. That's why all the European red tape might not be so bad.

When Bojo has sold what remains of Britain to the US and the Chinese, we will have to have hard borders !

NB: Joke! The kind of provocation that can be said among friends around a beer to stimulate an argumented discussion, no harm intended ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Osteomeles are relatively common in Japan, usually in shohin size

86+201207.jpg

Japanese-pepper.jpg

ckaye

Seedling
Reaction score
First time posting to your forum, so thanks for letting me join! I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread? (never posted to a forum before :) ) Anyway I have a new Bursera fagaroides sapling just purchased. Am in SE AZ about 4500' elevation and it is a high plains desert, zone 8b. the plant is rather leggy in the truck. As it is end of November and we are just getting to occasional 30 F nights, days 55-70 F, I'm not sure if I should put it in the ground or if there is anything else I should do to help the trunk to thicken? I worry because it is already losing a few leaves, and I see some information that says I should bring it inside at night? My apologies if posting to the wrong place, but thank you in advance for any help/suggestions!

Attachments

• frankincense.jpg
    frankincense.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 30

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First time posting to your forum, so thanks for letting me join! I'm not sure if I should post this here or start a new thread? (never posted to a forum before :) ) Anyway I have a new Bursera fagaroides sapling just purchased. Am in SE AZ about 4500' elevation and it is a high plains desert, zone 8b. the plant is rather leggy in the truck. As it is end of November and we are just getting to occasional 30 F nights, days 55-70 F, I'm not sure if I should put it in the ground or if there is anything else I should do to help the trunk to thicken? I worry because it is already losing a few leaves, and I see some information that says I should bring it inside at night? My apologies if posting to the wrong place, but thank you in advance for any help/suggestions!
Hey Welcome Stranger!

Nice to see you growing a lesser-known species.
This thread is mainly for "showcasing" lesser-known species being grown for bonsai *Thank you for reviving it!*. I think it would be good if you created a separate thread for help on growing yours. This will keep the info together in one place for you to grab back to, and it keeps this thread focussed more on showing different odd species :).

According to http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/TREES/Family/Burseraceae/10992/Bursera_fagaroides they can stand the occasional light frost.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m glad to see this thread pop up again!
I’ll have to remember this, when I pull all my plants out of hibernation, come spring!👍

ckaye

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Welcome Stranger!

Nice to see you growing a lesser-known species.
This thread is mainly for "showcasing" lesser-known species being grown for bonsai *Thank you for reviving it!*. I think it would be good if you created a separate thread for help on growing yours. This will keep the info together in one place for you to grab back to, and it keeps this thread focussed more on showing different odd species :).

According to http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/TREES/Family/Burseraceae/10992/Bursera_fagaroides they can stand the occasional light frost.
Hi leatherback!
thanks so much! I will do so. And thanks for that info on the frost!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you still have any of these trees? i have one that i have been trying (unsuccessfully) to air layer, and would to see your results. This genus has promise.
It was done in by a sharp freeze in the early spring of '22. An interesting coincidence is that the landscape nursery where I bought it had a mature (15 feet or so tall) ground planted specimen that died that same spring. I concluded that azaras are not at all cold hardy (i.e., marginal USDA zone 8 hardiness) and have not replaced the one I had (BUT I still have a rooted cutting that survived and I still see landscape nurseries all around this area still selling them).

It ought to air layer. Nursey stock all seems to be on its own roots which I infer to mean that production is likely by rooted cuttings. I don't recall my success rate but I did get a few cuttings to root and, as I said, still have one surviving in my collection. Generally speaking, a plant can surely be air layered if it can be propagated by cuttings (though there is at least one CODIT mechanism that can make layering impossible - it just a surprisingly rare occurrence).

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It was done in by a sharp freeze in the early spring of '22. An interesting coincidence is that the landscape nursery where I bought it had a mature (15 feet or so tall) ground planted specimen that died that same spring. I concluded that azaras are not at all cold hardy (i.e., marginal USDA zone 8 hardiness) and have not replaced the one I had (BUT I still have a rooted cutting that survived and I still see landscape nurseries all around this area still selling them).

It ought to air layer. Nursey stock all seems to be on its own roots which I infer to mean that production is likely by rooted cuttings. I don't recall my success rate but I did get a few cuttings to root and, as I said, still have one surviving in my collection. Generally speaking, a plant can surely be air layered if it can be propagated by cuttings (though there is at least one CODIT mechanism that can make layering impossible - it just a surprisingly rare occurrence).
Yes it's interesting that I see quite a number of these trees in the landscape (several at the zoo, near the rhinos, as well as a handful at the UW arboretum), but they're definitely marginal in our climate. Thanks for the followup, it makes me want to double on the protection of mine. I will certainly update this thread with my results.

Top Bottom