The Old "middle of winter bonsai gift" Problem

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got 2 baby Elms for my birthday.
It appears that they've been grown in a green house and they both have new growth on them.

I assume the best move is to keep them indoors with my tropicals until springtime....?

What would you do?

I like the green pots! Trees are cool too...
IMG_20220106_192544.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well , you could put one outside, keep one inside, then get back to us next spring!!!

… or you could be a sissy and keep BOTH of them inside…
I also assume that you're capital letters signify the latter being the correct course of action.
Thanks!

And for anyone else who may advise me here, to be clear, I don't have one of those ideal wintertime environments where it gets cold but not below freezing.....as much as I would love a magical place like that.
It's either, outside where it's very cold all winter, or a steady 60f in my basement under the lights.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Happy birthday!
🎈
Personally- based on feedback lately for my climate- I’d keep em inside for this year.
I think those elms can handle one season without a rest.
Its -10 F here at the moment. Maybe a skewed suggestion.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I also assume that you're capital letters signify the latter being the correct course of action.
Thanks!

And for anyone else who may advise me here, to be clear, I don't have one of those ideal wintertime environments where it gets cold but not below freezing.....as much as I would love a magical place like that.
It's either, outside where it's very cold all winter, or a steady 60f in my basement under the lights.
🤣 The magical place, yes the one we probably think about while cursing ours!
Im in the exact same situation here where I live, the exception is that my Birthday is tommorrow and there is no way my wife will buy me more trees!
Very nice gift, enjoy working on them.
On a side note, my small experience tells me you can keep them inside, next Spring they wont skip a beat.
Happy Birthday! 🎉

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
🤣 The magical place, yes the one we probably think about while cursing ours!
Im in the exact same situation here where I live, the exception is that my Birthday is tommorrow and there is no way my wife will buy me more trees!
Very nice gift, enjoy working on them.
On a side note, my small experience tells me you can keep them inside, next Spring they wont skip a beat.
Happy Birthday! 🎉
Well then, Happy Birthday! Birthdays all around!
Mine is actually on Saturday the 8th.
I have the strange privilege of sharing my Birthday with Elvis Presley, David Bowie and Stephen Hawking (R.I.P.x3).......and that's the excent of the fun facts about my birthday.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Happy birthday!
🎈
Personally- based on feedback lately for my climate- I’d keep em inside for this year.
I think those elms can handle one season without a rest.
Its -10 F here at the moment. Maybe a skewed suggestion.
Yeah....I snuggled them in next to my trops... need a bigger trop zone....and more lights to accommodate more biggerness.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 414792
In a can though....kinda lame. But its still tasty in a can.
I couldn't resist sale price on the cans.
Happy birthday to all of us!

These guys used to make a pretty damn good porter back in the day, then decided straight porters were pasé and have consistently changed their recipe every couple years since. Last time I paid attention it was oysters as the secret ingredient. WTF?

Anyways, happy birthday! I feel like you're chances are better with the trees inside unless you have long, mild winters.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glass raised!

where is @M. Frary? -elms are tough. why not the garage? looks a gift(s) i’d sure be happy with, better than a robe or something!🌝

if not making brooms or such, left image would bend that first branch down some….clean the odds out and let em’ get some odd gnarble

much love to you and yours

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just got home from working in a hospital morgue cooler today....ya know, chillin with my dead homeez
.... definitely about to crack open a cold one....no cake though!
You mean beers.. right? Because some of those cold ones are probably on the shelves because they're past the expiry date. 🤣

Anyhow, happy birthday tomorrow!

Top Bottom