The Only Finished Bonsai is a Dead Bonsai

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is my $2.98 Mugo Pine bonsai. I started some additional work on the tree this spring documented in a video. I decided to start some tightening up of the design this afternoon. I know there are thought out there to the effect as to why I don't leave it alone. The point is there is nothing that cannot be made better. $2.98 MugoB_edited-1.jpg

The tree is starting to do what Mugos do. The growth is becoming more compact, the bark is starting to take on a more aged look and the trunk is thickening.

It has been said that trees do not thicken in a bonsai pot. Granted; ten years but still the trunk has matured and I don't feel the tree is or has been a wast of time.

Last edited:

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How tall is it if you don't mind me asking?

And it's a beautiful tree great work

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Doesn't look like the same tree in 10 years.
I guarantee it is precisely that, the same tree. For so long the mantra in the bonsai comunity was that you cannot develop a bonsai from nursery material. I, having no choice other than seed or nothing, have chosen to use the nursery trade for my material. As you can see, trees in confinement can develop in amazing ways, just like trees in nature confined in poor environments and limited space grow and impart interesting traits.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Makes you wonder what ten years in a pot like this could do to something like an elm huh?

Not even the same tree. I like it, it's not the typical 'perfect' triangle pine bonsai form you normally see.
Try it; it is not such a long time in the scheme of things.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How tall is it if you don't mind me asking?

And it's a beautiful tree great work
The tree is 14 and 1/2 inches tall from the bottom of the pot to the top of the tree, the tree is less than 12" from the soil level. Thanks for the complement on the work.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank You. It's always nice to get reactions that don't require a mop and bucket. I've got a bunch other trees I should post. With the weather the way it is I just might get the chance. It has been in the 60"s around here this week.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I always enjoy your trees.
They always look very healthy.
You should be very proud of them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am pleased with the results of the work. There are times I don't feel they are as healthy as they sould be, that has always been a concern of mine. Thanks for the kind words.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The point is there is nothing that cannot be made better.
This tree looks good and can become better in time. However blanket statement not necessarily true. Many trees ruined there are by too much enthusiasm.;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This tree looks good and can become better in time. However blanket statement not necessarily true. Many trees ruined there are by too much enthusiasm.;)
That is marginally true but; if you don't make the effort nothing will change. Over time most trees will develop as to accent their flaws. They usually don't get better in time, at best they may stay in some sort of status quo. Most of the trees I have taken the time to redesign over the last few years have gotten to a point where the flaws, I was able to ignore, now bother me. I can't speak for anyone else I can only speak for me. As to other people? I don't know everyone has their own way of dealing with this kind of stuff from tossing out a flawed tree to several options less final.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, I agree with your statement that there can always be improvements. Even with the Kokufu trees! The Japanese magazines have many articles where fantastic trees get restyled and improved.
I believe that if you cannot look at a tree and conceive of an improvement then you are not growing. Most of the changes in my trees have been brought about through the eyes of a changed vision. Some of you may remember years ago, before the demise of the Art of Bonsai site, I wrote an article called "a bonsai epiphany" where I humiliated myself and voiced my short comings and that I was going to change everything. Since then, I have been doing just that, or at least have tried, and I have documented most of it here.

Let me add this as an admonition to those who are in the earlier stages of development. In bonsai there are two things that grow and change. First and most obvious is the tree. Regardless of your skill level and, or, intent your tree is going to change. Second is you. You are going to learn and acquire skills and be able to apply those skills. You will develop, through experience, an eye to recognize what might be done with a tree. This will, if you don't get to some stage where you think you know everything and can do anything, change and new possibilities will reveal themselves to you. Then you get to the point where courage is required and has to be used or fantsy will remain fantasy, because an idea unrealized is fantasy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom