The only thing missing.....

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
are pictures of Bonsai, which I find kind of strange for a bonsai board. People are willing to talk about bonsai(sometimes) , but nobody posts any pictures. Maybe the name should be changed to bonsai discussion board. No visual references allowed. I like to see what people are talking about. Pictures of nice trees or projects give me a rush.

Harry

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well then, post some pictures of some of your projects, by all means, I'd be interested in seeing what you have created.

This forum is full of bonsai related threads, some very recent, have at them. No since complaining about the 1% that are not about bonsai.

Will

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I haven't created anything with my own two hands, but I do have a few nice trees that were styled by a bonsai master that I am responsible for, be glad to share pictures with you.

Harry

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Harry,

Post away...... here in lies the problem, you can post away but not much will be said about it. I (and 2 or 3 others, yourself included) have posted plenty of pictures, plenty of trees and very little discussion..... This board has been that way for a while, I think people come here, do a quick scan to see what flame wars are going on, they don't see one so they bail.

Search the forum, there are some tree posts out there, just not much discussion on most of them

Jason

PS, it doesn't matter if you created the trees or not, you own them, they have progressed under you care and anyone who gives you crap about it is just jealous. 95% of people on most of the forums can only dream about owning trees as nice as yours. Most never will have trees like that on their benches.

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Harry,

Post away...... here in lies the problem, you can post away but not much will be said about it. I (and 2 or 3 others, yourself included) have posted plenty of pictures, plenty of trees and very little discussion..... This board has been that way for a while, I think people come here, do a quick scan to see what flame wars are going on, they don't see one so they bail.

Search the forum, there are some tree posts out there, just not much discussion on most of them

Jason

PS, it doesn't matter if you created the trees or not, you own them, they have progressed under you care and anyone who gives you crap about it is just jealous. 95% of people on most of the forums can only dream about owning trees as nice as yours. Most never will have trees like that on their benches.

Yup Yup, I asked here and on BT for help with my Q. Ilex only a couple of people responded (to whom I am greatful) I posted lots of pictures but got not much input. I will tell you all what I learn from this process as it looks like a decent species to work with.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Yup Yup, I asked here and on BT for help with my Q. Ilex only a couple of people responded (to whom I am greatful) I posted lots of pictures but got not much input. I will tell you all what I learn from this process as it looks like a decent species to work with.

Maybe it's because not too many people work with that species. I try to answer questions when I can help, but don't post when I don't have a clue as to what to do.

Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,

Jason

Thanks Jason, I don't post my trees for an ego trip, heck I don't mind if people don't respond to my tree pictures, because I know that the majority of us like to see pictures of nice trees. I love your posts, because you usually post some pictures. I love your little crab apple and go back and look at it again when I'm board.

Harry

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Totally agreed with Harry. Even in its original area, I don't know that many people making bonsai out of it. If you want, I can ask some friends who do bonsai in the south of France for information on the species. They might know somebody who knows somebody...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Totally agreed with Harry. Even in its original area, I don't know that many people making bonsai out of it. If you want, I can ask some friends who do bonsai in the south of France for information on the species. They might know somebody who knows somebody...

If you can find someone with some experience with this species all available information would be great.

I have been fortunate to make contact with Mauro Stemberger who has a lovely one over on AoB. He has been quite helpful so far. Turns out they do pretty well but the roots are evidentially a bit tricky. So it has not been a total wash as it was Irene who suggested I try to find him.

I guess I hold the folks here in pretty high esteem and figure that if it is about trees, someone here knows it. I was not offended to receive no reply just surprised. Even for someone to say "that species is junk" would be welcome.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heh, no species of oak should ever be called junk! The European ones are often a pain to collect and repot, their leaf reduction is counter-intuitive, but the results are well worth it.

I'll ask for advice on all the french forums I use and will let you know if there is any answer.

EDIT: actually a good friend of mine has a lot of those, I'll try to pick his brain!

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Mauro says they back bud well and take wire well. With nothing done to them at all, the leaves are only about 1.5 inches at the largest. Nice rough bark. All good things as far as I can see. As a plus, I know they do well here in Las Vegas as they are a very common landscape tree.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Mauro says they back bud well and take wire well. With nothing done to them at all, the leaves are only about 1.5 inches at the largest. Nice rough bark. All good things as far as I can see. As a plus, I know they do well here in Las Vegas as they are a very common landscape tree.
Just because something grows in the landscape does not mean it can live well in a pot...
The live oak I have grows great in the landscapes...Provided you don't mess with the roots...
Irene

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
are pictures of Bonsai, which I find kind of strange for a bonsai board. People are willing to talk about bonsai(sometimes) , but nobody posts any pictures. Maybe the name should be changed to bonsai discussion board. No visual references allowed. I like to see what people are talking about. Pictures of nice trees or projects give me a rush.

Harry

I'd post more but my pictures are giving people headaches :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Just because something grows in the landscape does not mean it can live well in a pot...
The live oak I have grows great in the landscapes...Provided you don't mess with the roots...
Irene

good point mom! Which is the one reason I am a bit apprehensive. Given that they are in boxes I am sure the roots are a mess. At just $23 per no a bad risk.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I haven't forgotten about you :) I am about to airlayer my cork oak and see what (if anything) happens. I'll let you know - right now my yard is completely torn up and I'm not doing much with my trees other than watering them.

Top Bottom