The Oregon Yixing project -or- New levels of crazy

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
This thread is capturing my progress on duplicating Yixing pottery using local Oregon clay combined with modern Tokoname-style press molds.

Let me start with the punchline and then do a Quentin Tarantino.

Below is a 20" lotus pot made of clay I mined and processed in Oregon. The clay is unburnished and fired to cone 9R.
oregonyixing01.jpg
DSC_0781.jpg
DSC_0783.jpg

The clay
You may have seen my earlier posts on Yixing clays. While I was successful in making serviceable clays, I was not satisfied that they came from bags of imported clay from Florida, Kentucky, California, and Canada etc. So I've been inspired by @sorce and reading about potters in Japan and China, how they can just dig below their rice field and find usable high fire clay. Clay that is unique to a place and cannot be reproduced from imported bags.

Where I live near Portland, the clay is not suitable for pottery due to the low alumina content and various geological reasons I wont go into. Most river clays are actually not suitable for high fire pottery. As it turns out, there are a few locations in Oregon where there are kaolinic clay deposits that are refractory enough for high fire.

At one such spot there is both low iron kaolinite (the white stuff) and bands of iron-stained clay (the orange stuff)
DSC_0482.jpg
DSC_0480.jpg

I took samples of the clay home and there were basically three types at this particular mine.
1. The white stuff is kaolinite, it is 35%+ alumina
2. The purple stuff is ~8% iron and ~25% alumina
3. The orange stuff is ~5%-10% iron and ~30% alumina
DSC_0788.jpg

I made test tiles using the clays by grinding them and passing them through a 100 mesh sieve.
(I bumped up brightness and contrast to more accurately match reality.)

Left: perfect reproduction of Yixing clay based on chemical analysis of pottery shards. It is smooth, plastic, and looks great at cone 6R
Top middle: 100% purple stuff processed and fired to cone 10. It is highly refractory, but it did vitrify where the reduction was heavy. It also holds a burnish really well.
Bottom middle: 100% orange stuff process and fired to cone 10. It is super refractory. Not even close to maturing.
Right: Purple stuff rebalanced to mature at cone 10. The color was not altered but the feldspar additions have diluted it
DSC_0790.jpg

The lotus pot above is made of the purple stuff after rebalancing for cone 10. It has fine speckles of what may be iron or maybe even manganese. There were tiny but very hard silica crystals that I was unable to grind. This clay did not take a burnish well because the particle size was not very fine. I also did not settle the clay in water to improve plasticity, but since I was using a press mold this was not a huge concern.

Future work:
  • Buy a ball mill to speed up clay manufacturing and achieve finer mesh
  • Try pond settling once I can increase clay production
  • Make and fire with saggars
  • Optimize recipe to enable burnishing
  • Try out my awesome new mold designs :)
Stay tuned, I've got another cool pot coming in the next month!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice progress. And an admirable goal as well. I really enjoy the purple clay.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Stunning pot and fascinating process.

As a complete noob, how much clay is needed to make a pot of decent size? When collecting a tree last month in the South Carolina low country, there was a large glob of thick wet clay underneath the rootball, almost the size of a grapefruit. I kept it because it was nifty, but now I'm curious if I could send it to a Potter and have it turned into something?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Really cool, nice pot, great photos, and educational. Well-done! Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to future installments.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Stunning pot and fascinating process.

As a complete noob, how much clay is needed to make a pot of decent size? When collecting a tree last month in the South Carolina low country, there was a large glob of thick wet clay underneath the rootball, almost the size of a grapefruit. I kept it because it was nifty, but now I'm curious if I could send it to a Potter and have it turned into something?
So many variables. This 20" pot used about 15 pounds. High fire clay is comparatively rarer than typical clays in nature, you'll just have to test it

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great looking pot:eek:! Nice molding. Most terminology completely Greek to me. Curiously seems you did not dig clay but ground up rocks. Why not dig clay instead;)?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Great looking pot:eek:! Nice molding. Most terminology completely Greek to me. Curiously seems you did not dig clay but ground up rocks. Why not dig clay instead;)?
The rocks are clay, almost chalk-like in texture. Not all clays are the same and most clays cannot be fired to ceramic temperatures. The soft stuff you might dig near Salem/Eugene would definitely not be suitable for bonsai pots on its own because of its low alumina content

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks so nice.

I don't know anything about clay or pottery. How do you know what makes a good site for digging clay? It looks like you went to a dryer part of the state, but I don't know if that specifically would be important. You mentioned alumina content, but is but how do you know where to look for that?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
It looks so nice.

I don't know anything about clay or pottery. How do you know what makes a good site for digging clay? It looks like you went to a dryer part of the state, but I don't know if that specifically would be important. You mentioned alumina content, but is but how do you know where to look for that?
To make high fire pottery you need minerals high in alumina and these typically come from weathered igneous or sedimentary rocks. Most of Oregon is far too young for these rocks to be exposed, either buried by the Missoula floods in the valley or buried under basalt. So its a matter of finding exposed granite in Oregon.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is interesting in spite of the fact that I will never use any of this.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daaaan Nao this is awesome! If you’d accept me, I’m willing to ride along as free digging and hauling labor (if our schedules are agreeable). I’m not planning to get into the ceramics business but just want to understand a little more about the process. Your knowledge of this is impressive!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Really great stuff! I love how you're making use of a local resource and producing such a fantastic product. Can't wait to see more!

Cory

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
Daaaan Nao this is awesome! If you’d accept me, I’m willing to ride along as free digging and hauling labor (if our schedules are agreeable). I’m not planning to get into the ceramics business but just want to understand a little more about the process. Your knowledge of this is impressive!
Thanks Reid, that's mighty kind of you. You know I can't turn down manual labor haha. I have a couple months of supply left but I will keep that in mind!

Top Bottom