The other fused-trunk privet

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The other fused trunk privet I have is here. This one, however, is 3-4 fused plants and much bigger/more interesting.

Issue is the same though - multiple trunks have fused together to form badass nebari/overall taper/structure, but they're still operating as somewhat separate plants and creating some weird structures. Looking for adbvice on where to chop for long-term success.

These were collected from old hedge-rows this past November-ish Chopped back a good bit and planted in nondescript buckets/ground soil. This past week, dug up to see if roots were forming. They looked healthy so I root pruned and bare-root potted in 50% Napa #8822, 40% potting soil, 10% mix of native soil/leftover bonsai mix/junk. Then I did a more strategic branch prune. 1st 4 pics are after I took it out of the ground, next 3 pics are the more strategic prune or how I chose to deal with the semi-fused trunk/roots. This is a grow box/get healthy/create new options phase... not a real bonsai or even training pot situation.

The main questions I have are whether any of you have approached semi-fused trunks like these before and have any opinions on whether they're worth pursuing or pursuing in any particular way. Also if you have thoughts on future pruning of this particular tree, I'd love to hear them. I have so many privets at this point I'm just experimenting and hoping that I learn something by f***ing up :)

Attachments

• IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    535.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    480.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    404.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2677.JPG
    IMG_2677.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 76

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... opinions on whether they're worth pursuing or pursuing in any particular way.
You've pushed me over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You dug them up. You potted them. WHY ARE YOU ASKING SUCH AN INSIPID QUESTION?? :mad:

If you need some inspiration, take a look at bonsia4me.com. Harry has made some amazing bonsai from privet - a crap species that 'everybody' knew was a waste of time.

Now, quit wasting our time and do something with what you've got.

Quit asking for validation in advance.
Show us all your adventure, step by step..
Show us how 'semi-fused' stuff works out
Let us kibbitz.
Dare to go where no one you know has dared go before.
Blow my fucking socks off!

I'm waiting ...

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey. I'm really sorry that I upset you... but not really all, because fuck you and that whole tip you're on about. And fuck the apparent hot psychological mess you've got powering your pots, cause it's not what needs to be brought to the forefront here. Communities like this are not a zero-sum equation. The more questions, posts, interaction there is, the more robust the ecosystem is.

True story if you didn't know: It's actually important that people be allowed to mess up and ask questions. It's actually important that people learn and find new things to be excited about: this is the internet. It's space for practice. It's a place to figure out what you're into and find people who feel the same. And here you are acting like you're gatekeeper and key. Get off your bitter old man high horse.

I might be new to bonsai, but I'm not new to learning. I'm not new to these communities. I've got your stats and a couple decades on top of it in everything from woodworking to audio engineering to grantwriting to PV design and fuck me if I've ever talked to someone who was legit interested in my craft in the way that you talk to me. If the mods here are truly all about that -ish then I'm out. Have fun.

Last edited:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can definetly enjoy developing these, privets grow like crazy! I would let them grow, gain strength, then decide how you want to prune, and carve. Update us when the branchong is growing in. Nice find!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey. I'm really sorry that I upset you... but not really all, because fuck you and that whole tip you're on about. And fuck the apparent hot psychological mess you've got powering your pots, cause it's not what needs to be brought to the forefront here. Communities like this are not a zero-sum equation. The more questions, posts, interaction there is, the more robust the ecosystem is.

True story if you didn't know: It's actually important that people be allowed to mess up and ask questions. It's actually important that people learn and find new things to be excited about: this is the internet. It's space for practice. It's a place to figure out what you're into and find people who feel the same. And here you are acting like you're gatekeeper and key. Get off your bitter old man high horse.

I might be new to bonsai, but I'm not new to learning. I'm not new to these communities. I've got your stats and a couple decades on top of it in everything from woodworking to audio engineering to grantwriting to PV design and fuck me if I've ever talked to someone who was legit interested in my craft in the way that you talk to me. If the mods here are truly all about that -ish then I'm out. Have fun.
I think you misunderstood him. Like me he is Dutch....And perhaps a little forthright.
It's a culture thing. He was saying that privet are good and gave you links to the website where you can find inspiration.
To both of you..... Let's use less profanity.....Some of us come here to relax.

Now the second point....Privet in many places is not far from being a noxious weed and as such make great bonsai.....
Let it grow let it grow then try cutting back next year.
I know not everyone is a fan of Walter Pall's hedge cutter technique but for privet it will work well. I recommend you read up about it or ask him directly @Walter Pall

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd encourage you to read his post again. I'm totally open to the fact that I'm having a bit of a cultural miscommunication right now, but I'm pretty sure there's a clear and explicit message. Still, if I am misreading, I'd love to hear it from the @0soyoung and no one else. I'll reiterate: I think it's lame to skewer people who are interested in your craft. No matter how egregious the offense. You won't keep me from this hobby but you damn well will keep others away with that sort of approach. Never punch down.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd encourage you to read his post again. I'm totally open to the fact that I'm having a bit of a cultural miscommunication right now, but I'm pretty sure there's a clear and explicit message. Still, if I am misreading, I'd love to hear it from the @0soyoung and no one else. I'll reiterate: I think it's lame to skewer people who are interested in your craft. No matter how egregious the offense. You won't keep me from this hobby but you damn well will keep others away with that sort of approach. Never punch down.
OK man anyway don't shoot the messenger. Believe me it was encouragement. Anyway. Privet....Seriously tough but there are a few species...Do you happen to know the species you have or possible species...? There tends to be a leaf size difference but they tend to behave similarly.
Like I said, @Walter Pall hedge technique should work a dream...This year just pot and let them grow wild...Maybe even next year as well . Once you have vigor and branching you can start working with the design aspect......@sorce will welcome you to the insane asylum...

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry if you thought I was shooting the messenger (you). I don't believe it was encouragement on the part of @0soyoung and I'm OK to disagree with you on that front if you read that post and still truly stand by your take on it. I def wasn't mad at you and didn't mean to come across that way and if I did I'm sorry! I do, however, think your dutch friend is a pedantic doo-doo whose comms are a barrier to building community and trust... but what do I know, I'm just a rank amateur with derivative ideas

Last edited:

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You've pushed me over the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You dug them up. You potted them. WHY ARE YOU ASKING SUCH AN INSIPID QUESTION?? :mad:

If you need some inspiration, take a look at bonsia4me.com. Harry has made some amazing bonsai from privet - a crap species that 'everybody' knew was a waste of time.

Now, quit wasting our time and do something with what you've got.

Quit asking for validation in advance.
Show us all your adventure, step by step..
Show us how 'semi-fused' stuff works out
Let us kibbitz.
Dare to go where no one you know has dared go before.
Blow my fucking socks off!

I'm waiting ...
This is incredibly rude. I don't care where you're from, how old you are, or how many years of experience you have, your post is needlessly cruel. You have no excuse for being so nasty. Shame on you.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorry if you thought I was shooting the messenger (you). I don't believe it was encouragement on the part of @0soyoung and I'm OK to disagree with you on that front if you read that post and still truly stand by your take on it. I def wasn't mad at you and didn't mean to come across that way and if I did I'm sorry! I do, however, think your dutch friend is a pedantic doo-doo whose comms are a barrier to building community and trust... but what do I know, I'm just a rank amateur with derivative ideas

Hi boonefrog,
I’ll bite too.

@0soyoung - thick skinned

You @boonefrog need to get over your
pride, do some reaearch, don’t ask us to rub your belly as you roll over, as you are better than that.
You get thicker skin by posting more and not playing a defensive game.

I am no Bonsai artist, far from it, but I support the wise guys here, and try to show what I have TRIED to achieve etc, and show respect etc.

Great start, chop lower (shorter start) as I guess these back bud easy, and read heaps.
Hope to see your hard work as this develops etc
Charles

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's all good I don't get worked up easily if there's no beer at the end of it .....

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi boonefrog,
I’ll bite too.

@0soyoung - thick skinned

You @boonefrog need to get over your
pride, do some reaearch, don’t ask us to rub your belly as you roll over, as you are better than that.
You get thicker skin by posting more and not playing a defensive game.

I am no Bonsai artist, far from it, but I support the wise guys here, and try to show what I have TRIED to achieve etc, and show respect etc.

Great start, chop lower (shorter start) as I guess these back bud easy, and read heaps.
Hope to see your hard work as this develops etc
Charles
Kiwis are smart birds.......

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does Kibbitz mean?

Ahhh!

Now we understand!

Good one 0so!

Stop being a dick! Lol!

Sorce

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What does Kibbitz mean?

Ahhh!

Now we understand!

Good one 0so!

Stop being a dick! Lol!

Sorce
Seriously though...hedge technique is good for privet I reckon? Your thoughts Sorce?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seriously though...hedge technique is good for privet I reckon? Your thoughts Sorce?

Lol! Junk Bonsai?

The chipper!

Just kidding...those are great trunks..
Rough Bark privet?

I'm not with hedging opposite growth.

Sorce

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol! Junk Bonsai?

The chipper!

Just kidding...those are great trunks..
Rough Bark privet?

I'm not with hedging opposite growth.

Sorce
I was thinking more like clip and grow heheheh

Lol I was actually thinking of doing a privet.......bonsai.......not for the chipper lol

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
(1) I think privets can be great material. I love their bark. Another benefit is that they can often be found as old landscape material with gnarly bases, and will handle trunk pruning well with prolific back-budding on old wood.

(2) @boonefrog instead of just offering a blank slate, what are YOU thinking about doing with it, in lieu of any suggestions? It is easier for people to respond to a plan - plus it exercises your bonsai muscle :) I see a lot of potential in your material. Share with me your gut instinct of what you are thinking might make sense, and I'll give you my honest opinion - which may or may not be worth anything :)

Top Bottom