The other ponderosa

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the other ponderosa I got last year. This one was budding fairly strongly, so I was expecting pretty good root growth, and I was not disappointed. I cleaned the native soil out of the front half and repotted back into the Anderson flat. Next year I'll clean out the back, and it may go into a training pot. In the repotting, I moved the trunk a little closer to vertical. Like the other tree, the trunk snakes back and forth.

First picture is before the repotting, second is of the root mass, lots of new root growth (but hard to see against the white pumice). Last is after repotting.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 150

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I like this one even better than the last. I will be interested to watch as you tighten up the foilage and develop the ramification.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Darrell: Your two latest Ponderosa's are very nice collected material - they both look healthy and not leggy with the usual "lions tail growth" that is common on collected Ponderosa's. I am not sure if the first tree will make a great semi-cascade - just because the lack of powerful roots at the surface. You should have enough options in both - to make a pair of beautiful Ponderosa's. Developing a crown that highlights or accentuates these curving/twisting trunks will be the challenge....

By the way-since no one [except yourself] mentioned it much-hat's off to the OB guys for continuing to collect, and offer these great trees. Keep us posted as these 2 trees develop....

Tom

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did some more work on this one over the weekend. Lots of buds on the branches, so I will definately be able to compact the crown over the next few years.

-Darrell

Attachments

• newangle.jpg
    newangle.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 93

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice material to work with Darrell, glad you proped up the pot too I like that angle better than the way it was potted, with the trunk coming straight up and turning 90 degrees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrell,
Thanks for posting this great material. I fully expect to be up there in the next year to "collect" some from the guys at Oregon Bonsai!

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darrell,
Thanks for posting this great material. I fully expect to be up there in the next year to "collect" some from the guys at Oregon Bonsai!

Cool, hope I can meet you.

Here is a quick and dirty virtual repot. I think I need to shorten the dead trunk (it is a separate trunk from the tree), but want to do it at the bottom, so that I can save the nice natural deadwood.

-Darrell

Attachments

• newpot.jpg
    newpot.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 52

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Looking good Darrell....

Is this the one you worked on in my yard over the summer? It looks good in the virt, out of the flat and into the pot!!! You should be able to pot it when you do the other 1/2 of the roots this spring....

We should do a workshop in my yard like Chris just did at his area... what do you think??

See ya,

Jason

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jason,

Yes, this is one of the ones I worked on there. I do plan to repot in the spring. Mike suggested that type/shape of pot, though I need to find one just bit smaller.

I'm not sure we have the weather anymore for an outdoor workshop!

-Darrell

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any updates Darrell? :)

Hi Ed,

I haven't had a chance to take new pictures. The tree was repotted this past weekend. It turns out upon further investigation that the dead trunk is in fact attached to the tree, so for now at least, it is staying as is.

-Darrell

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I finally finished my repotting this past weekend, and got some time to take updated pictures. I'll be updating a bunch of threads over the next few days, but I'll start with this one.

The first picture is the (current) front, the third is the back, but it could be an interesting front as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 23

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Looking good Darrell!!

It will only get better over the next few years.... and for that dead trunk/branch, why not just break it off leaving 1/3 of it there? I had to do that on my big ponderosa, a dead branch as big as your bicep, snapped it off.... best looking chunk of dead ponderosa wood ever!!

Anyways, coming along nicely. Do you want some koi for free??? I am cleaning my pond today and will have a few in the 12-14" range that I will be leaving in my hospital tank and you are welcome to them if you want.

Let me know!

Jason

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Jason,

Yes, I may have to do that. But the end is the most interesting part, and I'd hate to loose it.

I could take a few fish, but I don't know when I could come out. Could you hold them for a while?

-Darrell

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Yep, I can hold them for ya, no problemo!

As for the branch.... keep the tip and then drill it out and using a dowel glue it back on..... another forum says that is not bonsai though... haha, I say it is creative bonsai! :)

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for the branch.... keep the tip and then drill it out and using a dowel glue it back on..... another forum says that is not bonsai though... haha, I say it is creative bonsai! :)

Two words: Deadwood grafting!

Top Bottom