The Pitch Pine Experiment

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I finely got around to repotting my seedlings. The seedling cuttings I did about three weeks ago and the uncut ones last weekend. I have been happy with the results so far.

The mix I used retained too much moisture. This was very evident with the seedling cutting in the larger training box. I had a few start to yellow in the fall. Most of those didn't make it. Of the 12 I had going into the winter I have 6 that are still going strong. The uncut ones were in a much smaller box. I lost about 4 out of 13. I moved them into a mix of pumice and approx. 20% pine bark. They are also in smaller individual pots so that should help.

I am happy with my decision to start the cuttings in a large flat rather than individual pots. I had a fairly high number of losses, individual pots would have meant good amount of wasted effort. It also gave me an opportunity to see how the roots were progressing.

Seedling cutting results:

IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG IMG_0980.JPG

All of the seedling cuttings showed good radial root distribution. There was some effect on the top growth but not as significant as I had imagined. I had much lower yield with my cuttings but that is due to my own mistakes and "help" from my children.

Uncut seedling results:

IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1022.JPG

The uncut seedlings showed stronger growth. This was more evident in the root growth. This would be expected as they had an extra 6 to 8 weeks of development over the cuttings. The roots were not bad but did need some work. All had a good number of side roots. Most had at least one dominant tap root where as the cuttings roots were all of fairly even strength.

I have yet to reach a final verdict on the seedling cutting technique for pitch pine but at this pint I am in favor of it.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are a couple of pictures of the trees potted up. As you can see there is really not much difference in top growth.

Of interest is how the first whorl of branches are forming. Each seedling has 3 to 4 radial buds very low. These will be important for forming taper in the future but must also be watched to make certain they don't form a knuckle. It will probably be necessary to remove all but 1 this fall.

Seedling cuttings:
IMG_1052.JPG

Uncut seedlings:
IMG_1053.JPG

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My seedlings continue to grow well. Here are a couple of pictures for those who are intrested.

tmp_17714-IMG_20150616_170510-2102330589.jpg

tmp_17714-IMG_20150616_170550-562736140.jpg

Here's what this year's batch looks like.

tmp_17714-IMG_20150616_165912312991333.jpg

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first batch of trees are still going strong. No losses over the winter. In the next few days I'll try to get some wire on these.

Typical trees from my first batch:
IMG_20160419_174224.jpg

IMG_20160419_174301.jpg

Last year's batch still needs to be put into individual pots.

Last year's batch:
IMG_20160419_174400.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
keep going man, mine just sprouted today. I'll be comparing myself to your records the whole way

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a 13 year old pitch pine that was started from seed, beautiful tree. I love the pitch pines, just picked up two 6 footers on special at a local nursery. I have been considering testing an air layer on them. Your project is moving along great!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have 4 that I collected as seedlings 3 years ago. So far so good with them. I put wire on them to get shape and now just letting them grow.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm glad to see that people are trying them. One of the things I've found with growing my own is that I have lots to mess around with without the fear of loosing a prized tree.

I have a 13 year old pitch pine that was started from seed, beautiful tree.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of your trees.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad to see that people are trying them. One of the things I've found with growing my own is that I have lots to mess around with without the fear of loosing a prized tree.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of your trees.
For sure! Tonight I will snap a couple, like I said 2 big garden trees, my beauty is wrapped in raffia, and a young one a few years old.

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm long overdue to take some updated pics of my own 2.5 yo pitch pine seedlings! Planning on potting them both up this week; will take some shots then.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beautiful bark on those.
You have some seriously crossed roots on a couple. I think that I would clip them now before they get too fat.
CW

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful bark on those.
You have some seriously crossed roots on a couple. I think that I would clip them now before they get too fat.
CW
Ya, they were two trees forgotten in the back of a nursery. I haven't had time to put them to the knife yet, too much runnin around in the woods! They will get what's coming to them. The second photo that is of bark shows one of the famous pitch pine buds!

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OK, still haven't gotten to slip pot my seedlings yet, but finally took some pictures tonight:

P. rigida seedlings.jpg Both put out 2 flushes of growth last summer. The trunk on the left is 3/8" right above the root flare; the one on the right is just a bit shy of 1/2"

P. rigida seedling 1.jpg
I didn't prune this one at all last year, but did rub off a whole lot of needle buds that popped along the trunk in places I knew I wouldn't need a branch.

P. rigid seedling 2.jpg
I cut back the central leader of this one in midsummer last year to a point with a small back facing branch and a front facing bud. You can see the needles that came out on that bud later in the summer during the second flush are a bit shorter than those on the branches that I let grow.

Needle buds.jpg Here's a detail of the lowest branch on the second seedling. Each circle is a needle bud that's currently swelling! The needles were were removed last fall when they started to yellow.

Laura

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Wilson Those trees have a lot of potential. If pitch pine like that were more widely available I think they would quickly become one of the most popular trees to grow as bonsai.

@pitchpine You are doing well with those trees. What is the age of your trees?

Both put out 2 flushes of growth last summer.

I have found this with most of my trees as well.

IMG_20160419_174224.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

Id rub out those 3-6 crotch buds now.

Its not like you don't have a thousand more!

Sorce

Top Bottom