The Portland area free urban-dori thread

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey there Reid. I posted on nextdoor.com for my neighborhood in Vancouver, which is site that lets you post and network within your neighborhood, that I like to collect peop0le's unwanted landscape material to give them a second chance at life. I had far more responses than I have time to collect, but have dug 2 Japanese maples, two nice junipers, a few azaleas, some weeping cherry trees, a Doug fir... Lots of opportunities abound. Could be worth trying in your neighborhood. I want to hone my skills and learn some lessons with these trees before heading out into the forest to get collect the real deal.
Josh

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Josh88 ooh, I like that plan! I’ll try it. That’s a really focused site; I’m in the Sullivan’s Gulch group.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
... and Portand, Oregon, is one of the greenest cities in the US from what I know :cool:

This is a (promotional) video I like to work with with my students. Since you are an Oregonian, and a Portlander, I would find it interesting to read what you think of this "staging" of your hometown ;):

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Ooh... That hurts.

You've just made my American dream fall to pieces...

OK, if you apply for a visa as a climate/pollution refugee, I will gladly give you shelter, there's nothing more boring than having a conversation with someone who agrees with you :D

Well, it just goes to show that any side you're on, some are pushing -if not "fake news", which is now a trade mark- some kind of propaganda.

And OK, I admit that I prefer propaganda for a healthier, friendlier world. Call ma stoopid if you like...

Let's rock!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would find it interesting to read what you think of this "staging" of your hometown
HA! I used to work with the man pictured at 2:30. We worked on some of those pictured buildings, particularly the one with turbines at 2:33. This gives me the chills :)

The video is accurate. I buy 100% renewable energy and get around by riding my bike or the bus.

The opening part of the video is a little whitewashed in that it doesn’t honestly speak to the fact that “we” (white people) built this region by driving away the native people who used to inhabit, manage, and grow with the lands. I do understand, however, that the video specifically exists to speak about what has been done recently to fix some mistakes.

@just.wing.it you nailed it. I refuse to live in certain parts of the city that have the worst air. There’s plenty of current and historical legacy of bad pollution. The impact from 20th Century industry and military sites still haunts us and there is effectively no funding for the cleanup efforts.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ooh... That hurts.

You've just made my American dream fall to pieces...

OK, if you apply for a visa as a climate/pollution refugee, I will gladly give you shelter, there's nothing more boring than having a conversation with someone who agrees with you :D

Well, it just goes to show that any side you're on, some are pushing -if not "fake news", which is now a trade mark- some kind of propaganda.

And OK, I admit that I prefer propaganda for a healthier, friendlier world. Call ma stoopid if you like...

Let's rock!

Hahahaha!
Oh man, Alain, too funny....
I needed a laugh today...thanks man.
And you're not stupid, or stoopid....:D

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OH! In other news, a former bowling alley site has six camellia shrubs available for digging. It appears this has to be done during the workday, so I might not get to it. I have a friend coordinating with the site manager.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Thanks for your reply, it gives what is sometimes lacked in forums, "flesh", experience from people that live in "remote corners" of the world.

It's a small world, not only when you can recognise someone you've worked with, it's a small world, and a great world too when you realise there are more common points with people than reasons of excluding them.

My beer quota is over for tonight bt i sink thi 7/24 arab's is still open. Bi bak in a minit.

Tomorrow is Saturday, day off, my son's who's got a new job will take us to "mammie" (Granny, 86) for lunch on Sunday, so everything's fine.

Hips.

Last edited:

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
... and Portand, Oregon, is one of the greenest cities in the US from what I know :cool:

This is a (promotional) video I like to work with with my students. Since you are an Oregonian, and a Portlander, I would find it interesting to read what you think of this "staging" of your hometown ;):

I have had the pleasure to live in a number of US cities and have travelled all over the world, and I have never been anywhere that I felt did more to create an environmentally friendly cityscape. There are more acres of parks and green spaces than anywhere else in the US, and we have urban growth boundaries that maintain the beautiful surroundings of our city. We have incredible public transportation and bike options as well as access to solar hydro and wind energy. There is a culture that truly promotes small business and the arts by putting our money where our mouth is. Most neighborhoods around town have disallowed stores like Walmart and restaurants like MacDonalds so locals can effectively run their own shops to create a better sense of community in an urban environment. There are so many restaurants that support farm to table as well as farmers markets so that we can support the local agriculture. Don't even get me started on our beer and wine, which again try to support local hops farms and vineyards. No place is perfect, and like Reid mentioned there are some very rough spots in the city's history, but I think Portlanders try to be good at adapting and making necessary changes. I think the neighborhood around Bulls-eye glass that @just.wing.it posted the article on is a great case in point. As soon as the city noticed a problem (which they had to be actively testing air quality through moss samples to find) they acknowledged it and did something about it. No wasted time denying there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I would like to think that our country as a whole would be following suit, but I'm afraid this is not the case. No place is perfect of course, but positive change will only happen if people acknowledge there are problems that need fixing. I'm incredibly proud to call this place my home and I hope that people in cities all over the world take the initiative to actively improve the places they call home.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks a lot, Josh.

That's what I call reponsible thinking.

Here in my little suburban 8,000 inhabitants little town on the Loire Valley, part of a 300,000 conurbation, there is no use of weed-killers (so much for Monanto and the like), and very limited use of pesticides, and my, this is just fine :cool:

And in Orléans, the main city, there are bee-hives on some rooftops.

A small step for manking, a big drop in the ocean...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have had the pleasure to live in a number of US cities and have travelled all over the world, and I have never been anywhere that I felt did more to create an environmentally friendly cityscape. There are more acres of parks and green spaces than anywhere else in the US, and we have urban growth boundaries that maintain the beautiful surroundings of our city. We have incredible public transportation and bike options as well as access to solar hydro and wind energy. There is a culture that truly promotes small business and the arts by putting our money where our mouth is. Most neighborhoods around town have disallowed stores like Walmart and restaurants like MacDonalds so locals can effectively run their own shops to create a better sense of community in an urban environment. There are so many restaurants that support farm to table as well as farmers markets so that we can support the local agriculture. Don't even get me started on our beer and wine, which again try to support local hops farms and vineyards. No place is perfect, and like Reid mentioned there are some very rough spots in the city's history, but I think Portlanders try to be good at adapting and making necessary changes. I think the neighborhood around Bulls-eye glass that @just.wing.it posted the article on is a great case in point. As soon as the city noticed a problem (which they had to be actively testing air quality through moss samples to find) they acknowledged it and did something about it. No wasted time denying there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I would like to think that our country as a whole would be following suit, but I'm afraid this is not the case. No place is perfect of course, but positive change will only happen if people acknowledge there are problems that need fixing. I'm incredibly proud to call this place my home and I hope that people in cities all over the world take the initiative to actively improve the places they call home.
Indeed. Well said.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I failed! This yew is just too damn large. I will not be able to get it out with hand tools alone.

I think most of the roots go down a few feet and also under the concrete steps. A sawzall would significantly change things ;)

Top Bottom