MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And second. I’m eyeing this pot as well, for my white birch. May not even be ready for a pot, but it does hurt to source sooner than later I suppose!

I like it for its depth and its color. Though @MACH5 i love the glazed rectangle yours is in. What do you think?

View attachment 510743
View attachment 510744

Yes, also for me on this choice for your birch.

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello all,

I have a cali juniper I'm planning to repot this year or next year.

It's currently in a large senkoen pot (dimensions 21 x 15 x 7.5 inches). I feel the pot is too large and somewhat overpowers the tree.

I'm considering a smaller shallower rectangle pot. Any input would be appreciated as I'm kind of lost.

1696118633493.png

Here's a few gyouzan pots from Matt Ouwinga: They're about 17/18.5 inches long and 4 inches tall
1696118941999.png1696118983644.png

I've also considered a chinese choshiseito pot. About 20 inches long and 5 inches tall.

1696119235153.png

If I had the skills to photo shop the pots onto the trees, I would. Any input would be appreciated, and I'm not set just for these pots. Thank you

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hello all,

I have a cali juniper I'm planning to repot this year or next year.

It's currently in a large senkoen pot (dimensions 21 x 15 x 7.5 inches). I feel the pot is too large and somewhat overpowers the tree.

I'm considering a smaller shallower rectangle pot. Any input would be appreciated as I'm kind of lost.

View attachment 511412

Here's a few gyouzan pots from Matt Ouwinga: They're about 17/18.5 inches long and 4 inches tall

I've also considered a chinese choshiseito pot. About 20 inches long and 5 inches tall.

If I had the skills to photo shop the pots onto the trees, I would. Any input would be appreciated, and I'm not set just for these pots. Thank you
Have you considered a stone slab? The orientation suggests a tree that has been knocked down and is growing along the ground. Because of that vibe, it is difficult to imagine it in a man-made container.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bdmatt . If I had to pick from the 3 you posted i like number 3. Though, Im having a hard time with the pot also. While I don’t think it’s necessarily a “bad” fit, having the tree basically touch the rim of the pot at the far left and far right feels like it’s already bursting at the seams.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bdmatt On Todd Schlafers site, he still has this slab available. The texture and ruggedness may be a little too much, but the sizing seems right and could potentially look really cool.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After @Brian Van Fleet's comment I'm remembering the old rules about masculine vs feminine appearance in a tree. This tree definitely gives me a more feminine vibe, with it's gently sweeping curves. The old advice recommends rounder shaped pots for feminine trees, and I believe that might be the best direction to go.

Certainly do not go smaller, as @Hartinez said, though I disagree with a rough looking slab.
Maybe a wide oval tray? Maybe with hints of green in the glaze to compliment and contrast the foliage?

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Have you considered a stone slab? The orientation suggests a tree that has been knocked down and is growing along the ground. Because of that vibe, it is difficult to imagine it in a man-made container.
I do like the idea of a slab. It makes sense. And I prefer pots with textures on yamadori trees. @Hartinez The slab you sent looks really good.

This tree definitely gives me a more feminine vibe, with it's gently sweeping curves. The old advice recommends rounder shaped pots for feminine trees, and I believe that might be the best direction to go.
You're right about the tree looking more feminine. I actually thought of using a round shigaraki pot. It has good color and texture but was on the smaller side. I also considered a taiko pot, but I couldn't find one large enough

Attachments

• 1696217812696.png
    1696217812696.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom