The Power of the Love of Bonsai

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The role of bonsai in keeping me alive, sane, and moving forward here in the Philippines would be hard to quantify, but it is enormous.

My wife, who is from here, and whose idea it was to retire here, is doing quite well since we arrived, better than she was doing during the 2+ years we spent preparing for the move. An RN ER nurse, she was being eaten alive by her ever more demanding job, and retired early, while I - a Board Certified psychiatrist in a thoughtfully planned out end-of-career private practice that was a joy most of the time - could have worked another ten years or more before my powers started to wane or I grew burned out by the job.

All along, as we planned the move, my wife held out the lure of spending my retirement in a place where there is a long tradition of bonsai, and many trees and practitioners to work with. The lure of collecting, and of possibly doing another book on the undiscovered artists here, was held out to me as well.

When here visiting the last several times in preparation for the move, I bought a huge bougainvillea for her sister, who claims, and is claimed by my wife, to be my student. But she really has no interest in doing anything to the tree that might make it more attractive, content to just put in some half-hearted wavy bends on the very long branches, as is the style here, and to leave the funky base - with great potential if repotted lower - exactly as it is, refusing even to re-pot now when it shows signs of desperately needing it.

But then there are my two little trees here - the no-name and the bougy - that I've worked on intermittently during our preliminary trips here, and the great many others I hope to buy or find, building a collection I will enjoy growing old with.

I say all this by way of prelude to the fact that such a move to a very foreign culture, and climate, are very difficult. Nothing here is easy to do, or smooth, and the climate is very, very unpleasant down here in Manila - although it will be very much better when we get settled up in Baguio soon.

I am no stranger to travel in foreign lands and unpleasant climates, nor to the kind of on-going phantasmagorical, shifting combinations of bodily symptoms and health problems that have increasingly laid me low since arrival a week ago - to the point where, on occasion, I find myself wondering amidst my fevered delirium if it might just be better to die now than suffer my way through whatever combination of bugs have invaded and laid low my body's reserves and defenses, and my spirit's will to live.

But that's exactly where bonsai enters the equation: my two little trees, and the promise of more, as small as that quantum of solace may seem to others, has kept me buoyed up and moving forward with determination when I would otherwise have simply given up. It's been a pleasant and unexpected surprise, this power of the love of bonsai.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its quite a thing you've done Will.
I don't think I could do a move like that,to tell you the truth.
Every time I hear the Philippines,you come to mind. The heat,the rain,the political climate. I didn't even think about the different viruses and bacteria your body has to cope with.
Couple that with culture shock and giving up your trees and you must be miserable. I would be.
If you ever need a big change of pace for a bit,my wife and I have a spare room. Come visit. Its especially nice in the summer here. Trees for as far as the eye can see. Except for where Ive been working,then there are lots less. Hardly gets over 90 degrees and everyone speaks English. Except the Amish,but we ignore them anyway.
I truly hope it all works out for you,Will.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From the other Mike, so many down here run to the Northern countries.

Winter ------------ boring
Humidity in the Northern countries ------------- heat rash
Missing the jungles -------- I would cry every day.
Elevation / breeze / Eastern side -------------- I would weep

Sorry as bad as some folk can be down here, I sleep well at night.

Love the Trinidadian version of the Tropics.
I understand where K's long lost brother Jun [ Juan ] IBC comes from
in the Philippines is a similar elevation and climate.

Hope Grouper meets him, he is a member of the Black Scissors Group.

I think he is Juan Llaga [ on Facebook ]
Good Day
Anthony

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yikes man.
I bet you'll love the place once you're settled in though

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suggestion - since where I live has a good few long term foriegners.

Make a few friends with non-locals. The locals tend to have different
interests.
Good Day
Anthony

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wow, tough transition...
Can't imagine making a permanent move like that...But, happy wife happy life, right?
Hope it all comes together for you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was wondering how you would fare with this move. I'm sure it's a matter of time and perspective. Perhaps you should find a way to do some limited work there. I know that your work was fulfilling for you, and it could help with your transition. I'm sure I would never want to make that much of a transition, but who knows, it may open up new worlds you don't even know about yet. Maybe you could hunt yeti!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have never been to the Philippines...but, I do grasp what we face when go to Honduras. The heat,rain and climate is so different. And...being hit with a bug. The first year in...our entire team but three of us had been hit by a bug. And...it's horrible not feeling settled in and fever and uncertainty of what is going on...

Your wife a nurse...I am sure she has you on probiotics. Our entire team goes on them to help with all the things going on...and changes in foods and such. But...doesn't keep all bugs away...but helps the body adjust to differences of food. Once this bug is off you...you will see the light of a new day...and all your wife offered of your retirement there, and will settle in...in time. But, adapting to the climate...I don't do that in two weeks we are on our mission trip...the heat...I can't sleep. I get maybe three hours a night. So I hope your like my husband who sleeps like a baby...and has no issues there.

Possibly...the sister in law...and others will see the direction you take your trees...and you may change the way they all see how a tree is worked. You could be a trend setter there on how they develop their trees! I will be curious to see...once those trees of yours develop more over time...if ones...don't ask for your tutorage on development of their own trees.

I pray you start feeling better...even though it's now home...it's miserable to be in an unfamiliar climate struggling to adjust...and not feel well. It's hard being ill even in your own environment. So I totally grasp the just of how much harder it is...being down while trying to adjust to a new climate and all.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willy Willy Chillin in the Philli...
Laid down dealin with a bug that got him illin
Better to open mouth to speak like this than open to pop a pill in.
So..... "Dr. Villain",
Get thru the inoperable admission price
Paid for a new tropical bonsai life....
And may you and your ER NURSE wife
um.... (?=???☕(?x N + ?=✌) ☕??????? ( ☕>?= ???)??????...??....☕!
realize these words
lead to the peace you deserve!

Please continue Sharing!
Looking forward to the Book!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey just to bother you folk,:p

low of 70 deg.F, this morning, Sunny, Breezy and humidity dropping
to 55 %.
Expecting clouds and a high of between 86 to 90 degree for 15 to 30
minutes.
Spring ------ our way.

Off to check a small mountain of crushed red brick, the group
needs more red brick 5 mm.
Sifters out.
Also setting up the order for 100 little clay pots for J.B.pine seedlings.
4 of the serious members to get 25 seedlings apiece.
Great Day
Anthony

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can imagine the culture shock you are going through, physical and mental! I am sure when you move to a better environment, and score some better material. I always thought it would be fun to experiment in an environment where trees grow like crazy.

Top Bottom