the Philippines.
They were very friendly.
Anthony

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
All I know is I am thankful you are posting again. You are one of the true bright spots that has contributed to this forum and my helped me see my need for personal development. LOL! Hang in there my friend! I would come with you in a heartbeat.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Having moved around a bit myself it can be quite intimidating setting up in another country, it definitely helps if you have something familiar to ground yourself with.

On day one as the movers were dropping off our stuff here in Spain our at the time 2 yo came down with what turned out to be chicken pox, that was being thrown in the deep end, we had no contacts at all, minimal language skills and not even 6 hours in we were being tested. Naturally the 4 yo got it too.

I must say though as we have at times looked st job possibilities in Asia it is a totally different prospect than places in the west. Hopefully you will feel better soon and can get yourself settled down.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

something has happened to IBC.
It used to be, earlier days, a list with folk who could discuss and explain.
When the images came in, the quality dropped.
See the - Back in Times machine - for early IBC.

I believe book readers and thinkers are very different folk to imagers.
same thing happened to - wet Canvas.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thinking of it liking moving a prized Bonsai into a new zone. The tree takes time to acclimate and then grows like crazy after awhile.

Our bodies are built better for tropical environments in the long run anyway. My guess is you will have some short term negative health effects with long term health benefits.

Looking forward to following your Bonsai pursuits down there. I’m living in Costa Rica this winter and experienced about 3 weeks of crappy heathy followed by the last 2 months of feeling amazing.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to thank everyone who responded to this post, especially all the kind words and well wishes - I haven't wanted, for various reasons, to check back in to the thread since I wrote it. I hardly recalled writing it, entering into a delirium where the last thing I remembered was that I could no longer cough things up adequately due to pain in my diaphragm, rib cage and abdominal muscles from constant coughing, which I knew - as an M.D. - to be a bad sign ... my wife, an ER nurse trained in this country, knew some good internists here, who admitted me and started IV antibiotics, and I was in the hospital about 4.5 - 5 days or more I think. I recall only vague memeories of all that.

I'm entirely well now, however, two weeks later, as would be expected, and several posts under the "Tropicals" forum will speak to the encouraging start I'm off to here regarding bonsai.

Thanks again to all who wished me well, and to those who gave me some leads with the local bonsai community. And, yes - as I told my wife, who doesn't much like dogs, but at least doesn't eat them - an older American man needs, no - requires a dog to take for walks and sit on his lap as he grows into old age. Personally, I'm fancying a Boston Terrior ... and it's non-negotiable, as far as I'm concerned, and it damned well never end up as food, or those who ate it will!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will,

Having spent a career in the military I feel where you're coming from. Going from base to base country to country was not an easy lifestyle and required an opened mind and willingness to accept the variety of cultures this great world has to offer. My most shocking adventure was a six month "vacation" to Saudi Arabia. However, it was a point in my career where I had learned to adapt and enjoy whatever was dished out to me. Everything was a challenge there and I can't even begin to go into all the details. But, I adapted and made the best with what was available. I would say you have an unbelievable opportunity to change the face of bonsai in the Philippines. With your knowledge and skill and your wife's cultural guidance it can be done.

If you take the ball and run with it you'll be the tipping point that brings the Philippines and its artists to the world stage. What an exciting opportunity you have for the taking!

I've always loved the Marine's quote from Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge "adapt, improvise and overcome". You are way more educated than I but I hope you can appreciate where I'm coming from. That's my pep-talk over with. :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Will,

Having spent a career in the military I feel where you're coming from. Going from base to base country to country was not an easy lifestyle and required an opened mind and willingness to accept the variety of cultures this great world has to offer. My most shocking adventure was a six month "vacation" to Saudi Arabia. However, it was a point in my career where I had learned to adapt and enjoy whatever was dished out to me. Everything was a challenge there and I can't even begin to go into all the details. But, I adapted and made the best with what was available. I would say you have an unbelievable opportunity to change the face of bonsai in the Philippines. With your knowledge and skill and your wife's cultural guidance it can be done.

If you take the ball and run with it you'll be the tipping point that brings the Philippines and its artists to the world stage. What an exciting opportunity you have for the taking!

I've always loved the Marine's quote from Clint Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge "adapt, improvise and overcome". You are way more educated than I but I hope you can appreciate where I'm coming from. That's my pep-talk over with. :)

That is exciting, isn't it! Just think Will you could be the Go Kenki of Bonsai!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@grouper52 Wow, glad you are on the mend! I think you should get a dachshund or 2!

View attachment 184489

I'm also glad to be on the mend, and yes ... those are adoreable dogs! I think dogs are a bit like bonsai, in that even the lesser ones are precious gifts from God. Thanks for posting those, Clyde.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will,

Thanks for the pep-talk, Sarg, or whatever your rating/rank was! I was a shipborad Corpsman myself back during Vietnam, but only saw a bit of action off the coasts during the fall of Cambodia, and later Saigon. Unlike you, I got to return to the ship every night at curfew when in port, so mixing with the native culture was never a prolonged, full-immersion experience. It's something I thought I'd thought through and prepared for on many levels with this adventure, but the reality has been a real wake-up call.

As for changing the bonsai scene here, I may have some impact, but that's not my goal, nor do I think they want to change much. I'd mostly like just to enjoy my own trees - whether they are accepted here or not, and if I do another book it will be to honor the true artists here, and their individual styles and skills, which may not be my own. They have their own thing going here, and that is as it should be, IMO, and that's what I'd like to capture if I make another book, since the people who win the shows and accolades here seem to be the wealthy collectors, not the artists who create and maintain their material for them (although I may be wrong even about that preliminary observation. We'll see ... ).

Top Bottom