The quick, dirty and free bench

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a bench that I put together this spring.

The picture pretty much says it all. I had the pallet on hand but if you ask around you can usually find pallets for free. I used some scrap 2x4s as supports but a couple of cinderblocks would work just a well. If you don’t want a big rectangle split the pallet down the middle. You could even dismantle the pallet and use the parts to build a bench. When it rots in a few years it will get thrown on the burn pile and replaced with a new one.

Attachments

• 20140722_111512.jpg
    20140722_111512.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 133

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here is a bench that I put together this spring.

The picture pretty much says it all. I had the pallet on hand but if you ask around you can usually find pallets for free. I used some scrap 2x4s as supports but a couple of cinderblocks would work just a well. If you don’t want a big rectangle split the pallet down the middle. You could even dismantle the pallet and use the parts to build a bench. When it rots in a few years it will get thrown on the burn pile and replaced with a new one.

I think it's wonderful. I personally like my benches higher but I love this one as it is, too. Well done! I'm redoing the floor of my solarium with old pallets... Looks amazing but the wood is soft so a very hard finish (think basketball court) needs applied.

Thanks for sharing!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see free plastic pallets on Craigslist here sometimes, you might want to look into that too.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
That is a fantastic idea. thanks for the tip - I will be doing the same thing for a secondary area (some trees on an upper deck) at my house this weekend.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This bench fits my needs for now. I would have liked it to be a little taller but I didn't what it above the railing. In terms of economy you cant beat it for growing out stock.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are also quite a few Oak Pallets out there and again free. There is a place here that stacks them neatly at the street and all the locals know they are free. If you disassembled the oak ones you can have them planed and build any type from them, very cool :cool:

Grimmy

Top Bottom