The regular ulmus thread

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there nuts!
I think almost everyone has a ulmus parvifolia "something" and you see those like everywere.

Now this thread is not about those kind of ulmus but about the native ulmus species
Like the ulmus minor, english elm, anerican elm etc

I would like anyone who has this species to share their work here and tell about their experience's
I realy think the native elm species are great they are fast growing often get a rugged bark and the branches can become very refined but as mentioned above i actualy hardly ever see nice non malsai/chinese ulmus tree's posted and am not sure why tnis is

Im growing out a couple dutch elms myself because there are some big tree's in my neighborhood seedlings pop up randomly in my garden and pots every year

In the ground they grow amazingly fast and since they are native they are hardy and doing great in our climate

Here a pic from the trunk of a two year old seedling in the ground
15370050244541064787438.jpg

Looking forward to more "regular" ulmus progression's/pics :D

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those leaves look sad, and those webs look healthy :p I lost my elms (root rot), I'll probably buy some new one's or trade saplings with my friend next year.

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am actually very very keen to buy a big elm, that looks nothing like the typical mallsai. You're right, very difficult to find! Nigel Saunders has one that was gifted to him. It's likely my favourite of his trees, and I'd love something similar. I've two mallsai elm that have actually become my favourite trees in my collection, but it took repotting and styling to get them there (vertical S shape to windswept).

Yours is a fantastic start! I'll be watching this thread. :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those leaves look sad, and those webs look healthy :p I lost my elms (root rot), I'll probably buy some new one's or trade saplings with my friend next year.

Yes the leaves down low got shaded out and the upper are heavily infested by luis.
But it grew so fast i didnt bother i intend to grow a 10 cm trunk and decent nebari on this one and then go for a broom styled ulmus just like they often naturaly grow

I got a more of them growing in my garden so if you want some i could send a few your way if you pay me the shipping costs or pick them up yourself or meet up at a exhibition or something !

I am actually very very keen to buy a big elm, that looks nothing like the typical mallsai. You're right, very difficult to find! Nigel Saunders has one that was gifted to him. It's likely my favourite of his trees, and I'd love something similar. I've two mallsai elm that have actually become my favourite trees in my collection, but it took repotting and styling to get them there (vertical S shape to windswept).

Yours is a fantastic start! I'll be watching this thread. :)

Thnx for now it will be dug up yearly to work on the nebari and chopped and then left to grow again all season i think in 5 years the trunk will be the size i want it to be so i can start on the primary's

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's a few of mine, you might have seen threads on these on the forum.

My observations.....They grow like weeds and drink like fish;)

Ulmus minor, english elm
20180915_161700.jpg20180915_161941.jpg20180915_161822.jpg20180915_162136.jpg

Ulmus minor/field elm
20180915_160410.jpg20180915_155844.jpg

Ulmus minor, English elm

Attachments

• 20180903_154249.jpg
    20180903_154249.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 30

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol searching on the forums brings me back to my own thread

@BobbyLane or anyone else how well will this kind of elms do as shohin?
I've seen a few nice zelcova shohin and the ulmus is a relative so I wonder how they will do as shohin?

Top Bottom