The Rip-Snortin’, Rootin’ Tootin’ Advice Thread!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Created with BOTH those who have questions/who have answers to give in mind.
(Especially if one would feel those questions as well as correlating answers wouldn’t really warrant an entire thread)

This thread (inspired by @Woocash ‘s tree id thread) is designed to be a tool, or platform on which to share inquiries/relative experience... as well as thoughts, advice and direction.

Those who do NOT possess interest in any of these ideas, processes or “angles”... need ONLY “keep on cruisin’” ;) ;) ;)

Crap! ... I probably should’ve thought of some content FIRST.... well... give me a minute.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes Clip and grow.

With clip and grow you get taper and direction.

With this 3.5.1 twig breaking, you are basically using a slower version of clip and grow half the time, cuz when it breaks breaks, you clipped, but intact breaks take longer to provide a reaction.
When it does work, it is working against taper, so it is actually working against you all together no matter what.

This one must be in that Heresay book.!

What book is that?

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes Clip and grow.

With clip and grow you get taper and direction.

With this 3.5.1 twig breaking, you are basically using a slower version of clip and grow half the time, cuz when it breaks breaks, you clipped, but intact breaks take longer to provide a reaction.
When it does work, it is working against taper, so it is actually working against you all together no matter what.

This one must be in that Heresay book.!

What book is that?

Sorce

Hehe.. I was planning on using Ling Nan to achieve that “dark, twiggy” ramification (if applicable). I just realized I had forgotten a “jumping off” point. Aaaand scrambled. 😂

This “bad-boy” has been a MOST fascinating read..
I strongly recommend it..

Attachments

• 141633D1-0199-4F3F-B392-6CD3D42CCA18.jpeg
    141633D1-0199-4F3F-B392-6CD3D42CCA18.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 69

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So... I have taken cuttings of a few species around mid-summer.. these cuttings are all JUST sprouting roots/and callousing... A few species, I winter indoors anyways, so I know what THEIR future is..

My question is regarding cuttings of cryptomeria, juniperus, lonicera, elaeagnus.. and one or two others (colder hardy) that I am forgetting..

Could I winter these New cuttings indoors? Is there a BETTER protection method?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
rip-snortin huh....bringing me some fine memories from college w that subject line. think opening scene of wolf of wall st.
right off my friend kims' - while listening to tool or a perfect circle

13 years later and here im am working as an accountant

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
I do have a bunch of questions...

I have a few cuttings that have rooted, with roots on only one side of the "trunk". Would using rooting hormone on the other side promote growth there?

Also, what do people think about wiring roots for better spread?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
wiring roots for better spread?
maybe @sorce could link his radial disk layer thread. I can't find it through the search feature.

As for existing roots at the time of repotting I've done it on a stray root here or there...a couple times,
but normally just place them where they need to be raking and root hooking the roots out radially.
Clip and grow also pertains to roots below ground that are too big and too set in their ways.
It's the ones at ground level as the nebari I assume you're asking about? I think wiring roots, is for me a last resort.

Wooden or plastic wedges can help, splitting larger roots can be done as well.

Another approach to radial root placement is to mount root system to wood with nails or similar, then cover with soil.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a few cuttings that have rooted, with roots on only one side of the "trunk". Would using rooting hormone on the other side promote growth there?

I’ve run into this cloning peppers (and other junk ;) ) hydroponically.....

I removed young clones and placed them in an aqueous solution of level 2 standard IBA growth hormone.... the result was active rooting up to the waterline... interesting...

I would just keep them (these cuttings) buried, No need to check the roots once you know they are there.. it’ll grow more... I would let ‘em get established FIRST.. But that’s just me.

🤓

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you! I have a couple of Junipers that will have to be reinspected. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and if next year the root don't improve, might have to consider more drastic measures.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! I have a couple of Junipers that will have to be reinspected. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and if next year the root don't improve, might have to consider more drastic measures.
When I take them out or repot and see just one big fat root, I trim back all the way to the first 2 side-roots that have developed. I find more often than not, that a year later more roots have grown. Just keepworking the roots over the years.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When I take them out or repot and see just one big fat root, I trim back all the way to the first 2 side-roots that have developed. I find more often than not, that a year later more roots have grown. Just keepworking the roots over the years.

This... is great advice.

Thank You!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This... is great advice.

Thank You!
It goes for most species. If you have young plants: Wor the roots methodically, frequently. And the rootball will improve. The only reason the tree does not make new roots is .. it does not need them. Untill you cut the rest off.

Top Bottom