The rock thread.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The base is a little awkward for carving a daiza - I'd appreciate seeing design suggestions if anyone has a similar stone in a daiza. The coins underneath are propping it up in the position I think it will need to sit in.
Just make the carved base a bit deeper where the lowest parts of the stone will sit.
This one is petrified wood from Western Queensland. I thought it looked like a good mountain stone.
P1230136.JPG

My first attempt at making a daiza for it. I used the router to progressively cut the depression deeper a little at a time, noting where the rock rested and taking a little more out there until it sat properly.
P1230137.JPG

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Always wanted a boulder. Got this in June. Used a backhoe to pull it into the yard, but haven't taken the time to jack it up and get the pipe out from under it yet. 4,300 lbs.
CW
Please invite me to the stone setting ceremony. I'll bring the motivation and ceremonial wine.:)

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fern moss enveloped limestone and two stones found by my son. The bullfrog stone is from SE Pennsylvania and the hut stone is from Vermont. Nether have been cut.

Attachments

• P9090174.JPG
    P9090174.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 43
  • P9090175.JPG
    P9090175.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 44
  • P9090176.JPG
    P9090176.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 62

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been interested in scholar rocks for about as long as I have bonsai. Has anyone seen a daiza that was made out of stoneware as opposed to wood. I am going to attempt a couple for stones that stay permenently on my bonsai benches. I think I can figure a way to account for 12% clay shrinkage.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been interested in scholar rocks for about as long as I have bonsai. Has anyone seen a daiza that was made out of stoneware as opposed to wood. I am going to attempt a couple for stones that stay permenently on my bonsai benches. I think I can figure a way to account for 12% clay shrinkage.
This is what I did to support one of mine. The stones (interlocking, stacked pieces of Texas holey rock) are supported in a pot full of crushed granite.

Attachments

• P9090177.JPG
    P9090177.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 64

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you seen this Eastern Leaf video about a nice private collection of viewing stones?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you seen this Eastern Leaf video about a nice private collection of viewing stones?

I have not. A bit about my experience. I had a store devoted primarily to Asian arts, but also anything else I loved. It was open for 9 years and closed about 12 years ago. I imported and sold both Suiseki and Scholar Rocks during this time. I always had several in stock and I sold well over a hundred of them that ranged from about 2 inches to over 18 inches. In price they ran from about $60 to about $1200. I doubt I could afford to do it today unless I bought them by the pallet. Life moves on and there were a few I wish I had kept. I only have two from that original stock. I have to be conscious of the fact that I had this opportunity in any event, and it enabled me to handle many, many fabulous pieces for which I was custodian for a while.
I will have the memory of these until the end.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can't claim to know much about viewing stones. I've seen the ones at the National Bonsai Museum, and I just watched that Eastern Leaf video with their old curator, which was pretty cool. I have a number of odd stones that I've collected over the years, mostly from travel, and many from before beginning bonsai. I'm sure most of them aren't super interesting. This one is simple, but I like that it implies a low sloping mountain in the distance.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Kinda interesting story. I went and out and got it and told the wife I had got a ....rock.
"A ROCK ??" she sez incredulously.
So I show it to her in the back of the SUV.

"Oh YEEEAHHH!!!!...no wonder." is the reaction then. 😊

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

This is my pet rock. Not sure if the black sludge is original or comes from the sludge it has been drowned in for decades..
It's for sale if anyone who actually likes rocks wants it; to me it's just a cool rock. I am not going to pay for shipping though, this one nearly killed my backpack.

Top Bottom