The Saddest looking mallsai Ficus...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey all,

Stopped by a Home Depot today to walk around and feel sad for the poor "bonsai" they had there. Ended up seeing one, the only one, and brought it home. It was super cheap and I felt bad for it, so I thought "why not."

Due to its poor health, I walked up to a woman at customer service and asked if I could get it at a discount. "No, it's supposed to look that way at this time of year." I played dumb and just accepted it, and home we went.

Once I brought it home I realized its two main tubers are rotting, joy. So off they went, and it is now just a cutting with a total of 4 leaves.

Here's the tree:
010.JPG
012.JPG
011.JPG

Upon taking it out of the soil, I noticed something, there were no roots at all:
013.JPG

So, off went the tubers:
014.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Dusted the tubers with rooting hormone:
015.JPG
016.JPG

Potted it up:
017.JPG

And placed it into a baggie:
018.JPG

We'll see what happens from here....

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a feeling it will turn into a glorious ficus. They are tough.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice project... I hope it works out well. It will be great to look back at the progression. Good luck!

Rob

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of those ugly tuber ficuses too. Do they really root that easily from cuttings?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have a feeling it will turn into a glorious ficus. They are tough.

Glorious I doubt, but hopefully this will create an interesting effect ;)

i was told they dont back bud reliably, true?

What do you mean? Ficus backbud incredibly well. These ugly ginseng ones backbud just like any others (just not down low on the tubers).

Nice project... I hope it works out well. It will be great to look back at the progression. Good luck!

Rob

Thanks Rob, I sure hope so. Should be fun to see what happens.

I have one of those ugly tuber ficuses too. Do they really root that easily from cuttings?

I've never really experimented with rooting these tubers from cuttings, but I'm anxious to see what happens.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan, where do you find those transparent plastic pots? I've been using clear cups for my cuttings, but it would be convenient not to have to cut drainage holes myself.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have absolutely no experience with ficus, but I just picked up a few for almost free. They are developed and nice enough, could always use improvement obviously, but I wanted to reduce them just a little. I asked around and was told that whatever I cut I may regret because they either back bud or they don't. Its a risk they said. I have f. benjamina too little. I have two separate trees, and a forest planting with about 7 trees in it. They are all curling up and not looking very well, IDK if its because they moved locations or because they aren't getting enough light. Its not warm enough here for them to go outside yet but I'm hoping summer will bring a recovery. If I do reduce them, is it most likely they will fill in?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I rescued one of these Ginseng Ficus as well last year. It loves living in the bathroom between 2 windows and the humidity from the shower. Will the leaves reduce? If so, what's the method?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ficus benjamina can be pretty sketchy when it comes to backbudding, so that's why I'd advise against ever cutting back hard on them unless you live in the tropics.

As to leaf reduction, leaves reduce pretty well. Read everything you can on this site:
http://bonsaihunk.us/

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not quite a week later and it's already pushing new leaves:
642.JPG
641.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's scary how this rootless thing is making a comeback....:eek:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's even backbudding in a couple of places ;)

005.JPG
004.JPG

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We have roots:
003.JPG
006.JPG

So since it's on its own feet, I've unbagged it and will feed it and let it grow grow grow.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Arrived at my house with 4 leaves and no roots, and a few weeks later it's full of leaves, and well, I'm not too sure about the roots part. It feels pretty rooted whenever I tug on it, but I won't check to see what kind of roots I've got for another week or two.

002.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG

Top Bottom