The science of air-layering

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If I remove the cambium on the trunk of a tree to air layer, then presumably I would be stopping further root growth below that point right? I did an air layer on a bloodgood a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed the tips of the leaves drying out lately. I believe this started not long after the air layer. I worked the roots a bit sometime in February. So I am thinking may be the roots aren't keeping up with the foliage growth?
One major insult per 12 months. Oops!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick question on JM airlyering. I have done plenty with success but I have always try the upper cut at around the node. Will they root if the upper cut is between the nodes? Where will the root form? At the node above the upper cut?
Thanks,
Cheers
NN

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick question on JM airlyering. I have done plenty with success but I have always try the upper cut at around the node. Will they root if the upper cut is between the nodes? Where will the root form? At the node above the upper cut?
Thanks,
Cheers
NN

The roots grow from the cambium and will push through the bark, as far as I can tell. Thisis also why a slanted cut works to create a slanted nebari.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks,
Cheers
NN
Adventitious roots can be grown anywhere (above ground, I say redundantly just for emphasis). It is just a matter of getting the cellular auxin level high enough to cause cambium cells to upregulate to producing even more auxin (just like a root tip does). There are auxin producers in a node (i.e., buds/bud-initials), hence, it is a bit easier to get adventitious rooting at a node compared to an internode.

So, IMHO, if one is air-layering, it doesn't matter where the girdle is cut with regard to the node(s). But, for cuttings, it is advantageous to have a node near the bottom of the cutting.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Adventitious roots can be grown anywhere (above ground, I say redundantly just for emphasis). It is just a matter of getting the cellular auxin level high enough to cause cambium cells to upregulate to producing even more auxin (just like a root tip does). There are auxin producers in a node (i.e., buds/bud-initials), hence, it is a bit easier to get adventitious rooting at a node compared to an internode.

So, IMHO, if one is air-layering, it doesn't matter where the girdle is cut with regard to the node(s). But, for cuttings, it is advantageous to have a node near the bottom of the cutting.
tenor.gif

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But, for cuttings, it is advantageous to have a node near the bottom of the cutting.
Would you say cut through the node or below the node for the most benefit?

If one is air-layering, it doesn't matter where the girdle is cut with regard to the node(s)
If it's the same mechanism for both air layers and cuttings, shouldn't both have equal chances? Maybe because a cutting is more of a ticking time bomb, so a near the node cut would be more advantageous for success?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

If it's the same mechanism for both air layers and cuttings, shouldn't both have equal chances? Maybe because a cutting is more of a ticking time bomb, so a near the node cut would be more advantageous for success?
There's one huge difference: the water supply is disrupted with a cutting, but not with an air layer.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Immediately below - keep the node, itself, intact.

Of course the same is true for a layer. But. with a cutting, it is a race against desiccation (so time is of the essence) whereas there is no such urgency with a layer (it is supplied water via the intact xylem/wood). So, one might say that there is greater freedom in choosing where the first node is with respect to 'the ground' by layering.

BTW, I've noticed (having done it unintentionally/unthinkingly) that Japanese maples can be rooted by simply keeping a (leafless) node damp (i.e., no girdle required). Also, some collectors layer their rare cultivar off the root stock in the same way. It is remarkable to me that this too works, but when it doesn't nothing is lost (as opposed to girdling as one would normally do to ground layer a cultivar off a root stock). Yet, girdling allows one to choose exactly where the adventitious roots may be made to appear.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Immediately below - keep the node, itself, intact
This is how I've been doing it all along, but until recently I thought maybe it either didn't matter or was actually more advantageous to cut above the node.

that Japanese maples can be rooted by simply keeping a (leafless) node damp (i.e., no girdle required)
That sounds like how "banding" works to root very tough species. I haven't ever tried it yet, but thought that could be a viable way to propagate if layering or cuttings won't work.

Thanks for the answers!

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question: if you air layer a flowering tree or shrub, should you remove the blossums on the distal part during the air layer?

Reaction score
I have a question in regards to energy balancing with an air layer attached on a brt. Normally you want say one leaf on top, then two on the second branch then three on the third etc etc. (Not actually but figuratively) so you partial defoliate or prune branches to balance or direct energy to one part of the tree. With the air layer, would the tree still recognize the leaves past the severed cambium and send more energy there and potentially “forget” about the rest of the tree if it has 10x the leaf mass?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Prob missed it, but the layer has to be attempted under foliage or branch end? On old droopy maple for instance? Has to be upward above the layer?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Prob missed it, but the layer has to be attempted under foliage or branch end? On old droopy maple for instance? Has to be upward above the layer?
The layer (peeled bark) has to be between the roots and foliage . Whether that foliage is fysically lower than the layer is not that important (Although that branch will be weaker than more vertical branches, thus might be slower in rooting)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The layer (peeled bark) has to be between the roots and foliage . Whether that foliage is fysically lower than the layer is not that important (Although that branch will be weaker than more vertical branches, thus might be slower in rooting)
Thanks. I thought roots won't grow if it done inverted and the layer is above the end of branch. Like on a weeping maple if you tried to do a branch layering

I hope you're right becauae my parents old red Acer is so big all the branching are weighed down...so layers would be above end of branches most likely when trying to make roots

Maybe I saw somewhere its only on the bottom of layer it'll drop roots and it's more of a gravity type of thing and not impossible regardless

Thanks again, I'll be going for it on weeping and a big mature tree in spring, on smaller branching

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks. I thought roots won't grow if it done inverted and the layer is above the end of branch. Like on a weeping maple if you tried to do a branch layering
No. This is a weird wives' tale and I have no idea where it originated. Certainly trees can grow roots even if ALL their foliage is below the root level. Think of cascading trees on a cliff, for example.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No. This is a weird wives' tale and I have no idea where it originated. Certainly trees can grow roots even if ALL their foliage is below the root level. Think of cascading trees on a cliff, for example.
thank you and awesome because i was thinking id be rejected or on a damn ladder on my parents landscape tree. its a good 30' tall and overgrown, and i want smaller airlayers...

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a succesfull layer on prunus cerasifera branch that grew downwards. It had no problem rooting

Top Bottom